News Article: Mirtle: Maple Leafs Ownership Could Make Massive Changes if 'Really Disappointing First-Round Exit' Happens Again in the Playoffs

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don’t understand how they could think that way.

These are supposed to be professional sports management people

How does paying more for, presumably less (over the assumed length of the contract) make any sense in anyone’s head who’s goal is to win a Stanley cup?
It is the Leafs and Dubas f***ed the salary structure after signing Tavares for too much money. So instead of telling Marner to GTFO, they will continue making the same mistakes.

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada

How does paying more for, presumably less (over the assumed length of the contract) make any sense in anyone’s head who’s goal is to win a Stanley cup?
Management are clueless. Why Shanahan still has a job is mind boggling. It seems ownership is happy with regular season success because after the failures year after year with this core changes should have already been made.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It is the Leafs and Dubas f***ed the salary structure after signing Tavares for too much money. So instead of telling Marner to GTFO, they will continue making the same mistakes.
Matthews' new contract...

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 1.42.36 PM.png

Nylander's new contract...

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 1.43.13 PM.png

Dubas' fault...

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Pittsburgh forum must be slow now they’re eliminated………

Witty, 10/10, very original.

I find it weird to blame someone who isn't here for the contracts being signed now, but if it helps you guys, then go for it I guess.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Management are clueless. Why Shanahan still has a job is mind boggling. It seems ownership is happy with regular season success because after the failures year after year with this core changes should have already been made.

I get that this is the narrative, but is 3rd in your division something to celebrate? Is this the regular season success?

"We are spoiled by all the President trophies"

Our regular season is only good in comparison to us shitting the bed in playoffs.

Reactions: kevsh and rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

I find it weird to blame someone who isn't here for the contracts being signed now, but if it helps you guys, then go for it I guess.
Do you not realize if said players are overpaid once they’ll expect it to happen again? Every player in the NHL has benefitted from Boy Wonder’s over payments, he’s the NHLPA’s man of the year for multiple years because his ineptitude has made the players richer. As to Tre/Shanahan/MLSE mgmt continuing with the madness, well I hold them just as accountable, but I think Shanahan made the call on resigning Nylander to that stupid contract, no one was going to pay that much for him, if they had waited until the offseason he probably would have continued to kill it, instead he coasted after getting paid……….

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Do you not realize if said players are overpaid once they’ll expect it to happen again? Every player in the NHL has benefitted from Boy Wonder’s over payments, he’s the NHLPA’s man of the year for multiple years because his ineptitude has made the players richer. As to Tre/Shanahan/MLSE mgmt continuing with the madness, well I hold them just as accountable, but I think Shanahan made the call on resigning Nylander to that stupid contract, no one was going to pay that much for him, if they had waited until the offseason he probably would have continued to kill it, instead he coasted after getting paid……….

You realize the current GM needs to sign the contract, right?

Don't sign them if you are overpaying... no one will sign them in free agency because it is such an overpay and then you can sign them for less...

It's weird how people blame someone who isn't here for a contract signed by someone else.

You can try to spin it as much as you want, but Treliving signed these contracts, he must think they are fair.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I get that this is the narrative, but is 3rd in your division something to celebrate? Is this the regular season success?

"We are spoiled by all the President trophies"

Our regular season is only good in comparison to us shitting the bed in playoffs.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 2.23.09 PM.png

The lack of playoff success brings down these seasons, but we are lucky to at least consistently have good seasons... I think we are tied for the longest playoff streak right now, it's not nothing.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You realize the current GM needs to sign the contract, right?

Don't sign them if you are overpaying... no one will sign them in free agency because it is such an overpay and then you can sign them for less...

It's weird how people blame someone who isn't here for a contract signed by someone else.

You can try to spin it as much as you want, but Treliving signed these contracts, he must think they are fair.
I just said current mgmt doesn’t get a hall pass, but keep ignoring the fact it’s next to impossible to resign a overpaid player for less. Nylander shouldn’t have been signed to that deal, it’s arguably whether 34 signing was good value due to the shorter term, that might end up being a good move………..

View attachment 855902

The lack of playoff success brings down these seasons, but we are lucky to at least consistently have good seasons... I think we are tied for the longest playoff streak right now, it's not nothing.
Confirmed by graphs and pie charts, but no rings, cups, or President’s trophies. They haven’t won shit………..

Reactions: HolyCrap

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I just said current mgmt doesn’t get a hall pass, but keep ignoring the fact it’s next to impossible to resign a overpaid player for less. Nylander shouldn’t have been signed to that deal, it’s arguably whether 34 signing was good value due to the shorter term, that might end up being a good move………..

You just said no one will give the contract in free agency that we gave...

As to Tre/Shanahan/MLSE mgmt continuing with the madness, well I hold them just as accountable, but I think Shanahan made the call on resigning Nylander to that stupid contract, no one was going to pay that much for him, if they had waited until the offseason he probably would have continued to kill it, instead he coasted after getting paid……….

So don't sign him... wait for the offseason when no one else signs him and then offer him a lower contract... this isn't hard.

I know this won't work because someone would sign him for 11.5, but you seem to think it would... so this seems like a current management issue, weird to bring up past management.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019

Isn’t that what all Dubas fans said about Lou? Kind of being a hypocrite no?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Confirmed by graphs and pie charts, but no rings, cups, or President’s trophies. They haven’t won shit………..

I just said the playoffs bring down those seasons... we are still lucky to have this team...

you can be miserable all you want, but I am happy that I get to watch playoffs every year, even if it is short.

"graphs and pie chart"

It's literally just points... it is counting, not hard.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You just said no one will give the contract in free agency that we gave...

So don't sign him... wait for the offseason when no one else signs him and then offer him a lower contract... this isn't hard.

I know this won't work because someone would sign him for 11.5, but you seem to think it would... so this seems like a current management issue, weird to bring up past management.
You make no sense, I’ve already stated they shouldn’t have signed him, your obsessed with defending Dubas, at all costs. This will end this discussion, find someone else to argue with………

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You make no sense, I’ve already stated they shouldn’t have signed him, your obsessed with defending Dubas, at all costs. This will end this discussion, find someone else to argue with………

You replied to me................

I don't care about defending anyone... it is just insane that someone who didn't sign a contract is being blamed for the contract being signed.

Don't want to overpay? Don't sign the contract.

This board thinks cap space is the greatest asset ever... just don't sign the contract and use the 11.5 million on 3 Klingbergs.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

Because they don't care about winning the Stanley Cup. They care about regular season entertainment, merch sales, and the show of full out offensive corperate no toxic masculinity allowed PC Nu-Hockey.

Lock this thread for now ? 🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒
Why, does it offend you?

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

Why do you waste your time on him? Stop and he'll go back to the PITTS Board.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
should have traded willy when we had the chance.

11M for a guy who will miss game 1 because he woke up sore?

I'm sorry but if he doesn't suit up tonight there is no defending that. Players who win Stanley Cups do so through injuries. Willy just finished the final game and was fine.

Does anyone wanna try and defend this?

So ya, if disappointing playoffs, tear this shit down. Start with Willy.

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
should have traded willy when we had the chance.

11M for a guy who will miss game 1 because he woke up sore?

I'm sorry but if he doesn't suit up tonight there is no defending that. Players who win Stanley Cups do so through injuries. Willy just finished the final game and was fine.

Does anyone wanna try and defend this?

So ya, if disappointing playoffs, tear this shit down. Start with Willy.

The guy has missed exactly 2 games in his career due to injury with 600+ NHL career games (zero of them prior playoff games). If he was taking games off based on minor ailments that number would be a lot higher.

If he's missing game 1 it's likely something more serious than the team has officially announced. Passing judgement without knowing the facts is silly

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
The guy has missed exactly 2 games in his career due to injury with 600+ NHL career games (zero of them prior playoff games). If he was taking games off based on minor ailments that number would be a lot higher.

If he's missing game 1 it's likely something more serious than the team has officially announced. Passing judgement without knowing the facts is silly

He better be half dead. I don't care if he's concussed. Winners still play. Remember Gilmour in 93? Dude had a broken wrist or hand or something. His knees were screwed and the had to inject steroids into his ankles so he could play.

1713657249992.png

It's the god damn play offs. You do whatever the hell it is you need to do, but you play. You do this because you want to win.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He better be half dead. I don't care if he's concussed. Winners still play.

I don't disagree necessarily, but it's a different league now like with other sports. sports sciences/medical guys in the front offices have much bigger say on lineup decisions now.

We used to throw guys out with some duct tape and tell em to suck it up. Now the thinking is more about being better to rest some guys to make sure they can have a bigger impact later on

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I don't disagree necessarily, but it's a different league now like with other sports. sports sciences/medical guys in the front offices have much bigger say on lineup decisions now.

We used to throw guys out with some duct tape and tell em to suck it up. Now the thinking is more about being better to rest some guys to make sure they can have a bigger impact later on
It is and it isn't.

Look at the will and drive of those who win. The road to the cup is fraught with injuries and pain. Willy is a god damn leader of this team whether he likes it or not. His new contract demands it. To miss game 1 of the stanley cup playoffs on something minor is inexcusable.

If he is this easily broken, stay off the roster. We don't need you.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It is and it isn't.

Look at the will and drive of those who win. The road to the cup is fraught with injuries and pain. Willy is a god damn leader of this team whether he likes it or not. His new contract demands it. To miss game 1 of the stanley cup playoffs on something minor is inexcusable.

If he is this easily broken, stay off the roster. We don't need you.

Again, we have zero tangible info on what he's actually dealing with at the moment.

If he was easily broken he would have missed more than 2 games in 600 to injury.....

And we also don't know whose decision it was to keep him off the roster tonight. There's a big difference between a player refusing to play, and a player wanting to play but being told 'no'.

We don't have enough info to say what's actually happened

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad