Minor League Thread 2017-18: Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Lose in shootout. Mazanec seems like a good pickup for the team though. Wolf Pack point streak continues.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Anyone know why DeAngelo was out tonight? The tweet I saw said he wasn’t a healthy scratch. He scored late in the last game so idk what the injury could be

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
It's almost like the things i say about context actually matters. Gropp gets put on the PP and on a line without Selleck and suddenly he starts producing, Fontaine doesn't have Selleck as his W anymore and suddenly a few goals starts to trickle in...

Reactions: Ranger Ric and Ola

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
It's almost like the things i say about context actually matters. Gropp gets put on the PP and on a line without Selleck and suddenly he starts producing, Fontaine doesn't have Selleck as his W anymore and suddenly a few goals starts to trickle in...
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: ManUtdTobbe

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
ECHL and Swamp Rabbits leading scorer Calrb Herbert FINALLY called up to Hartford... guy is tearing up the ECHL, well deserved!
Definitely deserved a look. However he's 26 and has 20 points in 80 AHL games, so I'm not sure if he's really going to be much of a contributor at the AHL level. Nice to see him rewarded though.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Definitely deserved a look. However he's 26 and has 20 points in 80 AHL games, so I'm not sure if he's really going to be much of a contributor at the AHL level. Nice to see him rewarded though.
DeSalvo is apparently injured, so that could play a role in him being called up.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
DeSalvo is apparently injured, so that could play a role in him being called up.
That's good, IMO (not the DeSalvo injury thing), as I didn't want him taking time from some guys that are Rangers' property on the lower ends of the roster, like Leedahl.

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
Brutal news for Greenville... on top of ECHL leading scorer summoned to Hartford of the AHL, the ECHL 2nd leading scorer and now former Swamp Rabbit forward Allan McPherson is heading overseas... Wow, losing your (and the ECHL's) top 2 scorers in a matter of days is Brootal.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah and Adam Chapie was the ECHL's second-leading scorer when he was recalled to Hartford as well. And Dawson Leedahl was basically at a point per game.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
There's so much movement on and off the roster(s) in that league, I'm sure the team will muddle through. The only thing that may make it harder is whether or not there is a roster freeze for the league (the NHL one starts after midnight tonight). Otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade or other transaction to address the loss of the two highest scorers in the near future.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
[H]is improvement has been great. He’s placed himself among the top 20 defensemen in this league. He leads our team in points for defensemen. Sometimes I catch myself taking a step back just to see how fast he is playing the game.”

Wolf Pack's John Gilmour Honing His Defensive Skills

I am not at all surprised that Gilmour is establishing himself as a top D in the AHL and maybe HFD's top player. We need to be patient with these kids, even if they are not 18-19 y/o and it takes time to adjust, but he has always had a ton of skill. Its of course also like night and day playing under Gerander last season and a coach this season that actually have his team -- trying -- to play hockey, not just throw the puck away.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
That’s good to hear regarding Gilmour considering how atrocious he was defensively last year. The Pack definitely seem to be a much better environment under McCambridge as HC

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Has anyone watched enough of Hartford to say Gilmour's been good defensively?

If he can defend, he can play in the NHL. He was atrocious defensively though last season, from what I watched.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
McCambridge worked with Gilmour last season too--some players take longer than others to "get it" and apply it on the ice.

Gilmour’s defensive problems have been addressed by the Wolf Pack coaching staff for two years. Keith McCambridge, who became head coach of the team before this season, was in charge of working with the defense last year as an assistant to Ken Gernander and worked with Gilmour.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Has anyone watched enough of Hartford to say Gilmour's been good defensively?

If he can defend, he can play in the NHL. He was atrocious defensively though last season, from what I watched.

Seems to me that the people actually watching Gilmour play--the coaching staff--see significant improvement; I doubt McCambridge would say he's among the top 20 defensemen in the AHL just to flatter him.

“His strength is his offside side,” McCambridge said. “We saw some spurts last year and at the beginning of this season. We haven’t seen a lot of one his greatest gifts, his skating ability. …But his improvement has been great. He’s placed himself among the top 20 defensemen in this league. He leads our team in points for defensemen. Sometimes I catch myself taking a step back just to see how fast he is playing the game.”

Gilmour's a 7th round pick--he's still improving even at the ripe old age of 24. I don't see why he should be written off. Even if he just becomes a fill-in or a reliable call-up at the NHL level, this has been a good signing by the Rangers.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Gilmore looked awesome in his first pro camp. His offensive game and skating really looked good. I’m glad to hear he is improving. Often, defensemen in particular, the first year pro is like trying to drink from a firehose

Reactions: Ola and Osminator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad