GDT: Minnesota Wild @ Vancouver Canucks GDT 3/18/13

Dudicles

Oct 1, 2010
Thanks.

Yes, the guy resides in Moorhead in the offseason. You would think he has it all right now and would never want to leave the situation he is in. To finish out his career in his native state on a team that has so much potential to make some noise has to be something he would want to fully be a part of.

The other issue I'd have about signing Cullen now is that he's been notoriously streaky for us. The last two seasons, his first month or two was amazing and then he was invisible the rest of the season. This year, he was "meh" the first month, now he's on fire. He could cool off and turn invisible again and it shouldn't surprise anyone.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
The other issue I'd have about signing Cullen now is that he's been notoriously streaky for us. The last two seasons, his first month or two was amazing and then he was invisible the rest of the season. This year, he was "meh" the first month, now he's on fire. He could cool off and turn invisible again and it shouldn't surprise anyone.

This is a contract year for him, I'd assume he's going to bring his all for as long as he possibly can this season. Of course he can turn invisible again, but I think it's less likely this season. Maybe we should offer him a 1-year extension to keep him playing like this next season :laugh:

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i think Cullen, if he doesn't retire, is going to want to sign a short term deal, and unlike most situations where it's just plain wishful thinking he'd probably take a hometown discount. Seems like a great guy, and an excellent ambassador for the club. With steady linemates he's just fine as a second liner, and he'd be a great third liner if there's significant advances in the play of some of our young guys. I like having a cagey vet on the team--loved Nolan, loved Madden...

bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota
i think Cullen, if he doesn't retire, is going to want to sign a short term deal, and unlike most situations where it's just plain wishful thinking he'd probably take a hometown discount. Seems like a great guy, and an excellent ambassador for the club. With steady linemates he's just fine as a second liner, and he'd be a great third liner if there's significant advances in the play of some of our young guys. I like having a cagey vet on the team--loved Nolan, loved Madden...

Bah. It is logical thinking like this that keeps Wild fans from having nice things. If we keep Cullen around, that will leave Granlund in the AHL, dontchaknow?

:sarcasm:

Dudicles

Oct 1, 2010
This is a contract year for him, I'd assume he's going to bring his all for as long as he possibly can this season. Of course he can turn invisible again, but I think it's less likely this season. Maybe we should offer him a 1-year extension to keep him playing like this next season :laugh:

The "Selanne retirement package?" :laugh:

I fully believe Cullen will be back next year on a 1 or 2 year deal for an inexpensive amount.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Thanks.

Yes, the guy resides in Moorhead in the offseason. You would think he has it all right now and would never want to leave the situation he is in. To finish out his career in his native state on a team that has so much potential to make some noise has to be something he would want to fully be a part of.

I'm pretty sure he loves it here. I think it would be no problem getting him an extension after the season.

This pretty much. At the very least we would need to wait to see if this is just another one of his streaks.

LemaireisGOD

Jul 19, 2010
Nowhere, WI
Not yet...how about IF...

**YET**

He still is this teams #1 prospect. Once he is fully accustomed to the style game he has to play as opposed to what he has played his whole life in Europe.. Watch out. Russo is the most realistic, most honest writer in the league IMO and even he agrees that Granlund will be a really special player. It just takes time. I'm glad he's getting minutes in down in Houston..

Anyway, GREAT effort tonight. That's a hard building to play in and there was a lot of pressure tonight. Huge game. These are the types of games elite teams win. Wild have to continue to win them to reach that level. Detroit game on Thursday is the same thing. Hopefully we see more of a complete game execution wise with the same amount of heart that we saw tonight. Awesomeness. DON'T STOP THE PARTY!!!!

I don't think this is easy as just picking up the pace. Physical limitations do come into play here. He's not a force of nature in the AHL and that's slower and especially now with the lockout over his opponents are not as of good of quality but is he dominating? Nope.

IF is the real word people should be using with Granlund. Granlund is our top prospect by default now, because Brodin and Coyle have stepped ahead of him IMO.

LemaireisGOD

Jul 19, 2010
Nowhere, WI
In our early days...

Remember last year when nearly the entire HF community bet on the Wild when they played the Hawks? Not sure what started it, but it blew into this big thing on the boards. I'm thinking it'd be fun to do something similar for the Wild/Stars game. If people only knew how long it's been since we won in Dallas. :biglaugh:

We couldn't win in Edmonton or Calgary to save our lives. Yet it turned around, just as it will in Dallas. Especially when we're in the same division. I'm confident of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad