GDT: Minnesota Wild @ Vancouver Canucks GDT 3/18/13

Steve Cockburn

Feb 8, 2013
Why wasn't Bäckström 1st star of the game? Sorry Suter, but Bäckström was fantastic and should've gotten it.

Anybody have ideas on what should be done when Rupp gets back? Keep PMB on the 2nd line and put Zucker somewhere else (that is not the press box or the 4th line)? Put PMB on the 1st line, let Zucker back on the 2nd, send Coyle to Houston and call up someone who can rotate on the 4th line if needed?

Agreed, Backstrom basically won this game for Wild. He's been pretty good overall..

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
the sweet taste of victory! i like it. backs was seeing pucks i couldnt have. the effort was there, nucks checked hard, forced play alot in our end & the refs we're homers but WE WON! YABBA DABBA DOOOOO!!!!! 2 more points! cheers all wild fans, this is the way i thought we could play after signing parise & suter.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is there any we can have Brodin out on D by himself? Then he could play both right and left D, making for the most perfect combo EVER.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I swear, every time I bet my vMonies against the Wild, we win. It started out as a run of really bad luck but now I'm just running it as the anti-jinx against the teams we play. :nod:

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
it would be difficult to swap Pierre-Marc off the second line, but Yeo would do it if he didn't like what he saw in a morning skate or if the matchup called for it. I just think that aside from how well that line is clicking (it was clicking with Zucker too) that Zucker can be more useful off that line than PMB can. Also, like i said before the game started, having both in gives Yeo a little insurance in case things aren't going well.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Great to see we won. I live in eastern time zone, so when the Nucks scored, I went to bed because I thought I had seen that story before. Wild come out hard, don't score, Nucks get first goal, and then its game over.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
That was kind of an ugly win, but not undeserved. Lots of decent individual efforts starting in about the second half of the game, though. Even noticed Heatley moving around.

I think I want a jersey that's #20 on the left shoulder, #25 on the right, and says BRODUTER on the back.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
it would be difficult to swap Pierre-Marc off the second line, but Yeo would do it if he didn't like what he saw in a morning skate or if the matchup called for it. I just think that aside from how well that line is clicking (it was clicking with Zucker too) that Zucker can be more useful off that line than PMB can. Also, like i said before the game started, having both in gives Yeo a little insurance in case things aren't going well.

You ride that line with PMD until it comes back down to earth. lol Well, the hope is it never does but that line has been so good with him on it... Zucker too but how on earth can you switch up that second line right now when goals are coming like crazy? PMD is directly responsible for what is clicking like a well oiled machine right now on that line. I think you ride it out. Zucker most probably has dibs on that second line long term but right now you just leave things as they are. If it's not broken, don't fix it!

matt55014

Jan 31, 2013
Central MN
Sweet Game!

Stayed up for the game last night and it was awesome. For so many years I would stay up and watch the Wild lose games like last nights. Great to see.

Brodin is awesome!....So exciting having a rookie look so good this early.

I really like Coyle. He might not be producing big numbers for the top line but his game is really refreshing. He is doing all the little things along the boards and his goal last night is something the Wild could still improve on in my opinion. (one of the few things right now) Front net presence.

Cullen is playing so good too. Lots of skeptics (I for one) on him early on this year but he has really shut them up. The puck support between the guys on the second line is great...it is being led by Cullen.

Backstrom played great. Really going to need him later this year too. I hope he can keep it up.

"Don't stop the party!!"

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Very entertaining first and third periods. Just...hammering each other out there. Thought the Wild could have gotten some more even handed reffing. The Nucks really have the diving and cheap shots down pat, they just get away with so much. Very good effort by the Wild overall. I have more thoughts I'll post on the Wild thread.

Emilie

Feb 6, 2013
MN
You ride that line with PMD until it comes back down to earth. lol Well, the hope is it never does but that line has been so good with him on it... Zucker too but how on earth can you switch up that second line right now when goals are coming like crazy? PMD is directly responsible for what is clicking like a well oiled machine right now on that line. I think you ride it out. Zucker most probably has dibs on that second line long term but right now you just leave things as they are. If it's not broken, don't fix it!

To be fair, that line didn't start clicking until Zucker was on it, and IMO it was producing better with him there. BUT I agree that Zucker can be used in other places, while PMB has be less than stellar anywhere else

CoopALoop

Apr 19, 2012
Van, Bandwagoner
Congratulations to the Wild for deservingly being #1 in the NW.

Suter and Parise were great pick up for you guys and I had a feeling that the Canucks wouldn't go un-tested in our division like years past. It's refreshing to see another NW team be in the playoffs and you guys deserve it.

While the season isn't close to over, you guys look good. Keep it up gents. :handclap:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Current Date 2013

5 years?!?!

He's a transplant from the official boards like many of us.

Other than a short period over the last year or so...I've had my avatar since '02 on the official boards before my transplant after the NHL server Nazi event took place.

Congratulations to the Wild for deservingly being #1 in the NW.

Suter and Parise were great pick up for you guys and I had a feeling that the Canucks wouldn't go un-tested in our division like years past. It's refreshing to see another NW team be in the playoffs and you guys deserve it.

While the season isn't close to over, you guys look good. Keep it up gents. :handclap:

Thanks, even though we never felt truly part of the North West division...and never developed any real rivalries, have to admit that we enjoyed the competition with you guys more than the rest of the division.

Believe it or not, I'll likely root for you guys to do well in the new Pacific next season, would be fun to see if the Wild could sneak out of the Norris for a cool conference final.

Until then though, still have to root against you as the last ever North West division banner is on the line!

Last edited:

CoopALoop

Apr 19, 2012
Van, Bandwagoner
Thanks, even though we never felt truly part of the North West division...and never developed any real rivalries, have to admit that we enjoyed the competition with you guys more than the rest of the division.

Believe it or not, I'll likely root for you guys to do well in the new Pacific next season, would be fun to see if the Wild could sneak out of the Norris for a cool conference final.

Until then though, still have to root against you as the last ever North West division banner is on the line!

Cheers man.

I can see why you guys have felt alienated from the NW div. Not many rivalries have sparked, last time I really felt anything close was the last time we played in the playoffs in '03.

Good luck to the rest of the season and yes, we are still enemies until this year is done. :p:

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
I always go to my parents for lunch a couple times a week. My mom and I always fire up the DVR and we look over the highlights of the Wild game if a game was on the night before. We just did that now. So much fun reliving those moments last night.

Backs had an enormous game. He really did carry us. No way we win that game without him last night. Can't say enough about that second line and Brodin... he should have a halo on top of his head, that kid is God-like!

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I know it. It almost seems like things started to come together when he was sent down, too. :/ I know that was a coincidence though.

I don't know what precisely Yeo is doing but I just want him to keep doing it. lol He was dead on about Backs, too.

I honestly say we sign Cullen NOW. He might possibly be our very best forward right now. He has been incredible both offensively and defensively. I honestly think he's our MVP on offense.

No. If we sign him right now we run the risk of him getting "I just got paid" syndrome and his game falling off. We want him playing like he is now.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If we want him back, as long as we don't offer something insulting, he'll be back. I'm not really worried about him jumping ship (unless somebody offers something rediculous).

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
No. If we sign him right now we run the risk of him getting "I just got paid" syndrome and his game falling off. We want him playing like he is now.

That's a good point.

I am not sure how these contacts work at all... how long do we have to sign Cullen before he comes a FA and will he be restricted or unrestricted?

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
Unrestricted. We until sometime around July 1 (not sure if the date changed with the new CBA).

Thanks.

Yes, the guy resides in Moorhead in the offseason. You would think he has it all right now and would never want to leave the situation he is in. To finish out his career in his native state on a team that has so much potential to make some noise has to be something he would want to fully be a part of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad