Minnesota Wild General Discussion - 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
You're kidding, right? Dean didn't even play Goligoski for large parts of the year, and not at all during the playoffs. How is that overexaggerating? You can't be worse than nothing, and that's what he was.
Dean also didn’t play Addison for large parts of the year or the playoffs. Guess there is zero logical reason to keep him as well.

Goligoski as a $2M 3rd pairing guy for one more year isn’t that big of a deal. If you buy him out, that’s $670k dead cap for two years + the replacement player. Total probably comes out to $1.5M. The difference is negligible and not worth doing. Ride the contract out for one more year and clear the full $2M.

And if we buy him out so we can re-sign Duhaime of all players, that’s horrible cap/roster management.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Dean also didn’t play Addison for large parts of the year or the playoffs. Guess there is zero logical reason to keep him as well.

Goligoski as a $2M 3rd pairing guy for one more year isn’t that big of a deal. If you buy him out, that’s $670k dead cap for two years + the replacement player. Total probably comes out to $1.5M. The difference is negligible and not worth doing. Ride the contract out for one more year and clear the full $2M.

And if we buy him out so we can re-sign Duhaime of all players, that’s horrible cap/roster management.
At least Addison can still likely be traded.

I believe the point was, giving Goligoski $2m for 2 years was always a terrible idea.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Is it me or is Minnesota just - really, really bad about talent evaluation and trading? Like not just Guerin, but from Risebrough to Fletcher to Fenton to Guerin. Just - absolutely dogshit trades.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Is it me or is Minnesota just - really, really bad about talent evaluation and trading? Like not just Guerin, but from Risebrough to Fletcher to Fenton to Guerin. Just - absolutely dogshit trades.

Guerin's trades seem fine in terms of talent evaluation, he just hasn't made any big trades outside of trading Fiala to Kings.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
At least Addison can still likely be traded.

I believe the point was, giving Goligoski $2m for 2 years was always a terrible idea.
Goligoski signed near the end of a season that had him with 30 points and a +41. 2x2 would be a steal for that most times.

I also think there are bigger fish to fry, like Foligno at $3.1M.

And again, we are up in arms over re-signing Brandon Duhaime?

Guerin's trades seem fine in terms of talent evaluation, he just hasn't made any big trades outside of trading Fiala to Kings.
Zucker was a big trade in my book.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Yet, at the time of signing, he'd been a consistent healthy scratch because his play utterly collapsed the entire 2nd half.
This isn't true. April he played 14 of 16 games. March he played 13 of 16 games. His extension was announced on a night he was scratched. It's possible they were resting him and figuring out if the newly acquired Middleton was a good fit next to Spurgeon.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Goligoski signed near the end of a season that had him with 30 points and a +41. 2x2 would be a steal for that most times.

I also think there are bigger fish to fry, like Foligno at $3.1M.

And again, we are up in arms over re-signing Brandon Duhaime?

Zucker was a big trade in my book.
The problem is Guerin bought out Parise and Suter, but didn’t have the foresight to save money/term on his subsequent signings.

Why re-sign Goli when they could’ve just kept Kulikov and have had that $2M freed up this offseason?

Why give Fleury a 2nd year?

Why give Merrill a 3-year $1.2M contract to be a #7D?

It’s just piss poor planning. The only benefit to this whole situation is it might prevent him from making another mistake with a Reaves re-signing.

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The problem is Guerin bought out Parise and Suter, but didn’t have the foresight to save money/term on his subsequent signings.

Why re-sign Goli when they could’ve just kept Kulikov and have had that $2M freed up this offseason?

Why give Fleury a 2nd year?

Why give Merrill a 3-year $1.2M contract to be a #7D?

It’s just piss poor planning. The only benefit to this whole situation is it might prevent him from making another mistake with a Reaves re-signing.
I have less of a problem with the Merrill signing. He is not great, but serviceable as a 6th D, and 1.2M is not much above a minimum salary player(i.e. Mermis). I was also ok with signing Goli for one year, but two? It doesn't take a genius to know we would be cap strapped this year, and that awarding an extra 1.2M to a #7D could be the difference between signing, or losing a young player(in this case, Duhaime).
I don't see that having some combo of Mermis and Hunt as the #7D is going to hurt us all that much.

Trading Merrill is not going to net us much cap space, and what....maybe a 4th rounder? I am not a big fan, but he plays a lot of games, is long, and apparently well liked/coachable. Trading him and replacing him with Hunt/Mermis would save us 400K, vs the 1.2M losing Goligoski would save us.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I have less of a problem with the Merrill signing. He is not great, but serviceable as a 6th D, and 1.2M is not much above a minimum salary player(i.e. Mermis). I was also ok with signing Goli for one year, but two? It doesn't take a genius to know we would be cap strapped this year, and that awarding an extra 1.2M to a #7D could be the difference between signing, or losing a young player(in this case, Duhaime).
I don't see that having some combo of Mermis and Hunt as the #7D is going to hurt us all that much.

Trading Merrill is not going to net us much cap space, and what....maybe a 4th rounder? I am not a big fan, but he plays a lot of games, is long, and apparently well liked/coachable. Trading him and replacing him with Hunt/Mermis would save us 400K, vs the 1.2M losing Goligoski would save us.
And the Fleury signing, while not great isn't bad. If Gus coming in at roughly 3.5 - we're about in lien with what the average team spends on 2 goalies - though my math could be off because FA hasn't started and capfriendly only shows a lot of teams having just 1 goalie on the books.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
And the Fleury signing, while not great isn't bad. If Gus coming in at roughly 3.5 - we're about in lien with what the average team spends on 2 goalies - though my math could be off because FA hasn't started and capfriendly only shows a lot of teams having just 1 goalie on the books.
Can't really judge based on league average when you've got $14M in dead cap space.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Can't really judge based on league average when you've got $14M in dead cap space.
K. Well, I'll do the math...
83.5 - 14.7 = 68.8
68.8 / 83.5 = ~82.4%
7,000,000 * ~.824 = ~5.750Mill

Again, it's not that far off from the league average.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Reaves is terrible and doesn't belong on a playoff team.

He's been on a Playoff team every year since the 11-12 season. He's been on 2 Cup finals and 2 more Conference finals teams in the 5 seasons before MN traded for him.

I wouldn't give him more than a $1m x 1 contract. He plays just well enough to be the cheap 12th FWD and adds the face puncher and locker room energy. I'm fine with trading Foligno and re-sign Reaves and Duhaime with his money.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Fully agree. Just quoting BG. What Reaves does is waste a roster spot and cap space. If he resigns him like he wants to I’ll be heavily annoyed, worse than resigning Goligoski.

He'll give him 3 years and a full NMC

• Wow
Reactions: TaLoN

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I was pleasantly surprised with Reaves, but agree that we can’t be paying him more than 1 M considering our cap sitch. I was surprised that he never really took bad penalties, and made good decisions on the ice, for all that he is pretty damn slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad