McKenzie: Minnesota is going to move a defenseman, I believe, at some point here today.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
McQuaid makes 2.75m. Not worth trading Scandella if he comes back. Saving 1.25M doesn't really do much for the Wild, and a LHD either. If he was a RHD, and the B's retained a bit, then maybe.

I'm sure they tried to hash out a deal before the ED and couldn't make it work. Don't see anything happening now.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
McQuaid makes 2.75m. Not worth trading Scandella if he comes back. Saving 1.25M doesn't really do much for the Wild, and a LHD either. If he was a RHD, and the B's retained a bit, then maybe.

I'm sure they tried to hash out a deal before the ED and couldn't make it work. Don't see anything happening now.

McQuaid is a RHD.

edit: If McQuaid was a LHD, Boston wouldn't be interested either.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
McQuaid is a RHD.

Miller at $2.5m would probably work as well, though I have no idea how he and McQuaid compare to one another.

And yes, trading Scandella and only getting back ~$1.5m in cap space isn't ideal. But if you only need $1.5m to do everything you want to do (re-sign Granlund and Nino, sign UFA's to fill out the 4th line, get a backup goalie) and can get back a suitable prospect in the trade, I don't see the harm in it. Obviously if someone's making a better offer, you take that. But if this allows us to get Granlund and Nino under contract for 4+ years I think it's a reasonable compromise.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Plus McQuid, minus Scandella and filling out the rest of the spots with the league minimum gives us ~$11.4m for Nino and Granlund.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I don't understand why does Minnesota trade a defensemen.

Are Minny's prospect d-men ready for the NHL.

If Scandella is traded Minny is most likely going to have to fill the #5, #6 and #7 defensive spots in the NHL, with prospects.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't understand why does Minnesota trade a defensemen.

Are Minny's prospect d-men ready for the NHL.

If Scandella is traded Minny is most likely going to have to fill the #5, #6 and #7 defensive spots in the NHL, with prospects.

Olofsson and Reilly are both as close to NHL ready as they're going to get.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Plus McQuid, minus Scandella and filling out the rest of the spots with the league minimum gives us ~$11.4m for Nino and Granlund.

I'm sure Boston could find a taker for McQuaid if the teams could agree on the primary prospect going back. Probably from the list above.

Edit: Boston might be able to retain a bit of McQuaid, too, but so many moving parts this time of year.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

That would be pretty tight. I'm hoping that Russo's right and the Granlund/Nino contracts end up being ~$10m combined. If we need a little more cap space maybe we could add a mid-late pick for some retention from Boston? Dunno. It seems like the alternative would be to send him to a team that doesn't need to send cap back (maybe Buffalo?) for a prospect, but then you still have to fill that RD spot via free agency. I get the feeling that Fletcher wants a McQuaid-type back there anyway, so if we can get one in trade rather than free agency it might be a plus?

That's a whole pile of if's and maybe's though. Obviously I hope we can do better.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Also doesn't sound like they want to go bargain basement shopping for the 4th line, so if we're factoring in almost a million per player there, something has to give.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
McQuaid is a RHD.

edit: If McQuaid was a LHD, Boston wouldn't be interested either.

Ooops!:laugh:

Well, if Folin isn't being re-signed, then let's get 'er done. 2018 1st (top 10 protected) +McQuaid (1M/yr. retained)for Scandella.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Olofsson and Reilly are both as close to NHL ready as they're going to get.

And they can sign Prosser anytime. Still quibbling with Folin. All will be in the sub 1M/yr. salary range, as opposed to McQaid's 2.75M.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Maybe Sakic can call Minny.

No offence but there really isn't anyone on the Wild I would trade Marner/Nylander for at this time
Nor do we expect you would, which is why Brodin won't be traded at all.
No. It really wouldn't.

He wouldn't return Marner, but there's no reason for the Wild to move him for a fair offer.
Exactly, we don't expect him to return Marner, but that's the type of overpayment needed to get the Wild to consider trading someone they have zero desire to trade in the first place.
Massive overpayment from the Leafs.

That's the point. It will take massive overpayment to get the Wild to be willing to trade him. Zero incentive to trade him at all without massive overpayment.

Thus we don't expect Brodin will be traded... period.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I love when Leafs fans balk at us asking for their good young players when they ask for Minnesota's good young players. We don't want Kapanen+1st+Dermott for Brodin. We want a top 6 young center who will impact the game just as much as Brodin does on defense.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I love when Leafs fans balk at us asking for their good young players when they ask for Minnesota's good young players. We don't want Kapanen+1st+Dermott for Brodin. We want a top 6 young center who will impact the game just as much as Brodin does on defense.

They balk at that, and then call us crazy for expecting that back.

We don't expect that back at all, which is why we don't expect to trade Brodin at all. He's not on the table is what we're saying... the only way to get him on the table is that level of a deal.

We're not looking to trade him, so if you want to get the Wild to trade him, you have to give them something too good to pass up in the first place... ie overpay.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

That package has gotten better than a Brodin level player. Bluechip+1st+promising D prospect who is close to the NHL.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That package has gotten better than a Brodin level player. Bluechip+1st+promising D prospect who is close to the NHL.

Brodin is not on the table, you want him on the table it will take someone like Marner. If you're not willing, then we'll just keep Brodin, because we'd rather not trade him to begin with.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Brodin is not on the table, you want him on the table it will take someone like Marner. If you're not willing, then we'll just keep Brodin, because we'd rather not trade him to begin with.

Considering this is a board for hypotheticals, that seems pretty sassy.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Unfortunately, the retention doesn't work for Boston unless the move out salary (Spooner?) in a different deal for futures.

I can see that. Hard to say what McQuaid's value is. Like his size and toughness, especially if Scandella is going the other way. Could always pair him with a mobile Dman like Reilly or Olofsson. It's just that we could sign Prosser for about 700K, or Folin for about 1-1.3M. Not sure that McQaid is much better than them, at this point. He certainly was in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad