McKenzie: Minnesota is going to move a defenseman, I believe, at some point here today.

Mnsportsfan22

Apr 5, 2013
That or an alternative plan to recover cap space should already be happening.It sucks but we are probably not going to get what people think he's worth in return.

You need to stop that narrative. If scandella doesn't get fair offers we can look to trade pom then. Scandella isn't going to get traded like he is an unwanted cap dump.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
You need to stop that narrative. If scandella doesn't get fair offers we can look to trade pom then. Scandella isn't going to get traded like he is an unwanted cap dump.

Who do you think wants Jason Pominville at a cap hit of $5.6m,if they can unload him, great do it.

It's not about cap dumps or being unwanted.The Wild needs to be able to put together a team that is better than last year.In order to do this they need to clear up cap space,sooner rather than later.In order to do this they need to trade away salary without taking on salary.Whether it's Scandella or someone else Fletcher really needs to get something done,waiting until the best available free agents are gone is not a good option.

Mnsportsfan22

Apr 5, 2013
Who do you think wants Jason Pominville at a cap hit of $5.6m,if they can unload him, great do it.

It's not about cap dumps or being unwanted.The Wild needs to be able to put together a team that is better than last year.In order to do this they need to clear up cap space,sooner rather than later.In order to do this they need to trade away salary without taking on salary.Whether it's Scandella or someone else Fletcher really needs to get something done,waiting until the best available free agents are gone is not a good option.

Wait so you think we will trade scandella and then sign the best available free agents for the 2 million in extra cap space we have left? Hmm that's a new one!

And trading pom at 1.6 retained makes pom attractive for other teams! We would still lose 4 million like we would trading scandella. While keeping the strength of the team together.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Wait so you think we will trade scandella and then sign the best available free agents for the 2 million in extra cap space we have left? Hmm that's a new one!

And trading pom at 1.6 retained makes pom attractive for other teams! We would still lose 4 million like we would trading scandella. While keeping the strength of the team together.

Assuming we sign Granlund and Nino for a cap hit of $10m and trade Scandella for pick(s) and prospects,that leaves the Wild a hair over $7m in cap space to fill out the roster.Of course that involves free agents. They need to not fill the 4th line with AHLers or force guys like Kunin or possibly JEE into NHL roles before they are ready and they also need a better option than Stalock as the #2 goalie.

Again what team do you think wants Pominville even at $4m,be specific please.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Assuming we sign Granlund and Nino for a cap hit of $10m and trade Scandella for pick(s) and prospects,that leaves the Wild a hair over $7m in cap space to fill out the roster.Of course that involves free agents. They need to not fill the 4th line with AHLers or force guys like Kunin or possibly JEE into NHL roles before they are ready and they also need a better option than Stalock as the #2 goalie.

Again what team do you think wants Pominville even at $4m,be specific please.

Pominville at 4M is a fair contract. Teams like NJ and Arizona as well as possibly Carolina or Buffalo could use Pominville to fill out their roster and they have plenty of cap space available.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Pominville at 4M is a fair contract. Teams like NJ and Arizona as well as possibly Carolina or Buffalo could use Pominville to fill out their roster and they have plenty of cap space available.

Not when you can pick up guys like Williams,Kunitz,Hudler,Vanek,Boyle and others for considerably less.Maybe they will be able to move Pominville but I am not as optimistic as you are,I did not think Clarkson was tradeable and now it has happened twice,anything can happen.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah but then someone will come along and offer-sheet Nino and we would not have the money to match.

The costs of both Scandella and Pominville would drop, the cap would be cleared and no struggle to match on both.

Besides, as mentioned, one offer sheet is rare, how rare do you think two offer sheets are?

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
The costs of both Scandella and Pominville would drop, the cap would be cleared and no struggle to match on both.

Besides, as mentioned, one offer sheet is rare, how rare do you think two offer sheets are?

It would be unheard of and I doubt there will be even one offer-sheet.I was just saying if the Wild had to match an offer-sheet on Granlund and then had to match another one on Nino it would be catastrophic.The Wild would be unable to ice a team without circumventing the cap.At that point the potential return on Scandella doesn't just drop it disappears.But it's not Scandella that teams are going to target it's Brodin,Spurgeon,Coyle,and Zucker.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
An offersheet for Granlund or Nino would be surprising; it sounds like both want to stay and I think they can expect fair contracts, so there's little reason to try to squeeze Fletcher for more. If it did come to an offersheet I assume it would be matched and, if the price was higher than the Wild was comfortable paying, a trade would be explored.

If we're talking availability of the defensemen, I'd rank it something like:

Scandella - 27 y/o LD, makes $4m/yr for 3 years

Brodin - 24 y/o LD, makes $4.2m/yr for 3 years

Dumba - 23 y/o RD, makes $2.5m/yr for 1 year

Dumba's the youngest and cheapest of the bunch, with a skillset that the Wild mostly lacks (outside of Spurgeon, to some degree). Brodin and Scandella are currently competing for that 2nd pairing LD spot and make the same amount of money, but Brodin's younger and still has upside to grow his game some. So Scandella ends up being the one out the door, though he does bring some things that Brodin's game lacks: he's more physical, has a heavier shot and brings more offense.

I think just about anyone on the team (without an NMC) can be had for the right price, but Brodin and Dumba would require a premium. If a team isn't willing to offer up a young top 6 C that has 1C upside, there probably isn't a deal to be made. Johansen and RNH (before this last season) have been previous targets for both players and I don't expect Fletcher's sights have lowered any.

Scandella's price is more of a question mark. Apparently #18 from Boston was offered in a package, but rejected. Someone said that #25 was also offered, but later pulled? Anyway, I'm skeptical that any package based on a pick would get it done. I think Fletcher's looking primarily for a prospect, but I'm a little stumped as to what kind. If he's not looking to make more trades this summer, he might be looking for someone who's a few years from the NHL. If he's thinking about trading a forward later in the summer he might want an NHL-ready replacement.

Last edited:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Scandella's price is more of a question mark. Apparently #18 from Boston was offered in a package, but rejected. Someone said that #25 was also offered, but later pulled? Anyway, I'm skeptical that any package based on a pick would get it done. I think Fletcher's looking primarily for a prospect, but I'm a little stumped as to what kind. If he's not looking to make more trades this summer, he might be looking for someone who's a few years from the NHL. If he's thinking about trading a forward later in the summer he might want an NHL-ready replacement.

Is it going to get any better than the #18 pick package? Thats the million dollar question IMO.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
probably not , i'd bet our gm was holding out for a little more because trading pommer is really plan A; trading scanny is plan B. after hamonic were probably asking a mid / late 1st & late 2nd and maybe even a token 4th. just a guess.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
An offersheet for Granlund or Nino would be surprising; it sounds like both want to stay and I think they can expect fair contracts, so there's little reason to try to squeeze Fletcher for more. If it did come to an offersheet I assume it would be matched and, if the price was higher than the Wild was comfortable paying, a trade would be explored.

If we're talking availability of the defensemen, I'd rank it something like:

Scandella - 27 y/o LD, makes $4m/yr for 3 years

Brodin - 24 y/o LD, makes $4.2m/yr for 3 years

Dumba - 23 y/o RD, makes $2.5m/yr for 1 year

Dumba's the youngest and cheapest of the bunch, with a skillset that the Wild mostly lacks (outside of Spurgeon, to some degree). Brodin and Scandella are currently competing for that 2nd pairing LD spot and make the same amount of money, but Brodin's younger and still has upside to grow his game some. So Scandella ends up being the one out the door, though he does bring some things that Brodin's game lacks: he's more physical, has a heavier shot and brings more offense.

I think just about anyone on the team (without an NMC) can be had for the right price, but Brodin and Dumba would require a premium. If a team isn't willing to offer up a young top 6 C that has 1C upside, there probably isn't a deal to be made. Johansen and RNH (before this last season) have been previous targets for both players and I don't expect Fletcher's sights have lowered any.

You can't trade a player who signs an offersheet.

I assume you mean they'd trade them if an offer-sheet was seriously threatened but before it was signed? Like Kessel, Hamilton, or Meszaros?

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny

I assume you mean they'd trade them if an offer-sheet was seriously threatened but before it was signed? Like Kessel, Hamilton, or Meszaros?

no i think he means we'd explore a trade of someone else to free up the money needed to retain Nino.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

I meant we'd match the offer and then look at a trade; if that's forbidden, I was unaware. Otherwise, as rynryn says, we'd match it and look to move someone else. I don't see any way Fletcher accepts a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd for Nino.

Regardless, worrying about contingency plans for offer sheets seems silly when the likelihood of one happening is so low.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad