McKenzie: Minnesota is going to move a defenseman, I believe, at some point here today.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Fletcher wasn't going to take a 2017 1st rounder, then I don't see how a 2018 is attractive. GM 's live in the now, because they might not be around in 4-5 years( when the pick actually starts to become a real, contributing, player).

I also suspect that part of the BOS deal involved MN taking back some bad salary, and Fletcher balked at doing that. BOS has a couple of stinkers.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Is it going to get any better than the #18 pick package? Thats the million dollar question IMO.

It's hard to say since we don't know what these deals actually were. Say Fletcher had the following offers on the table for Scandella:

#18 + Belesky

#25 + McCarron

We only have rumors about the picks involved, so the Boston offer sounds better. But the adds could make a big difference.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If Fletcher wasn't going to take a 2017 1st rounder, then I don't see how a 2018 is attractive. GM 's live in the now, because they might not be around in 4-5 years( when the pick actually starts to become a real, contributing, player).

I also suspect that part of the BOS deal involved MN taking back some bad salary, and Fletcher balked at doing that. BOS has a couple of stinkers.

Agreed on both counts. I know the buzz is that 2018 will be much deeper than 2017 was, but even if that's true we're talking about players that might be ready to play in the NHL in 4-5 years. I think Fletcher's interests are much more in the near term.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
It's hard to say since we don't know what these deals actually were. Say Fletcher had the following offers on the table for Scandella:

#18 + Belesky

#25 + McCarron

We only have rumors about the picks involved, so the Boston offer sounds better. But the adds could make a big difference.

Yeah, I don't disagree.. hence the million dollar question remark :)

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Alright, scrap that then. Brodin isn't worth Marner imo, that's a full stop for me.

We already guessed as much. Both Dumba and Brodin will require overpayment to get if you want them.

Want a fair value trade? Scandella is your man.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

#18 + Belesky

#25 + McCarron

I would assume it's McQuaid over Beleksey. McQuaid fits MN better as a partner for Reilly and would be scratched in Boston with McAvoy, Carlo and Kevan Miller. He is too good and too well paid to be scratched.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I would assume it's McQuaid over Beleksey. McQuaid fits MN better as a partner for Reilly and would be scratched in Boston with McAvoy, Carlo and Kevan Miller. He is too good and too well paid to be scratched.

Reilly is likely in the AHL mostly this season again.

Left side has Suter, Brodin, Scandella and Olofsson ahead of him right now, plus he's waiver exempt still.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Yeah, I just meant it as an example of how the adds can make a big difference.

Prospect + McQuaid for Scandella actually makes more sense to me the more I think about it, but I'm not sure how deadset the Wild are on minimizing the salary they take back. I guess it depends on what the RFA contracts come in at and what they want to accomplish in free agency this year.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Yeah, I just meant it as an example of how the adds can make a big difference.

Prospect + McQuaid for Scandella actually makes more sense to me the more I think about it, but I'm not sure how deadset the Wild are on minimizing the salary they take back. I guess it depends on what the RFA contracts come in at and what they want to accomplish in free agency this year.

Problem is that Bruins have strongest prospect depth at LW and LD, and my understand is that is not what MN needs.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
We already guessed as much. Both Dumba and Brodin will require overpayment to get if you want them.

Want a fair value trade? Scandella is your man.

Maybe Sakic can call Minny.

No offence but there really isn't anyone on the Wild I would trade Marner/Nylander for at this time

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Problem is that Bruins have strongest prospect depth at LW and LD, and my understand is that is not what MN needs.

I don't think we'd have much interest in LD, but LW might be a different story. We certainly have more than our fair share of left-handed forwards, but Boudreau had just about everyone playing on their off wing at some point last season. Under the circumstances I'm not sure that handedness would be a deal-breaker.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don't think we'd have much interest in LD, but LW might be a different story. We certainly have more than our fair share of left-handed forwards, but Boudreau had just about everyone playing on their off wing at some point last season. Under the circumstances I'm not sure that handedness would be a deal-breaker.

So there is Vatrano, Heinen, Bjork and DeBrusk. All are NHL ready.

Vatrano: The oldest of the bunch at 23. Busted his ankle last season and was playing hurt (had to get back into the boot after the season ended). Boasts in NHL elite shot. And I don't throw that around lightly. He back checks hard, but the rest of the defensive game isn't good. The ankle injury took away his burst and he struggled because of it. 18 goals in 83 NHL games while playing about 13 mins a game. Upside for a lot more. I'm higher on him than most on the Bruins board and think he can be a great instant offense secondary scorer. He can play both wings, but, on either side, his away from the puck game isn't good.

Heinen: Smart high IQ guy. Had a great AHL playoffs. Not undersized, per say, but not big. In his NHL time early last season, he was smart and made the right play, but lacked enough burst and pace. Seems like he improved upon that over the AHL season. Think a poor man's Loui Eriksson. Can play both wings, and played mostly RW (on his offside) in college. One of those guys that the more you watch him, the more you think he is really good.

Bjork: Hobey Baker finalist that just signed with Boston. Legit top 6 upside. Fast and plays with a lot of pace. Responsible defensively. Pencilled in on Krejci's LW in most offseason lineups. Played on his off wing (RW) in college, too. Not sure on a team that hits the college scene so hard, if signing him and dealing him right away is something they would do.

DeBrusk: Great hands and knows how to work in the corners and down low. Shifty and aggressive around the net. Good vision for quick passes down low. Basically, just really damn good once the game gets below the face-off dots. High floor as that style can play up and down the lineup. Not so slow that he is going to have trouble in the NHL, but not a rush player.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I think he ends up getting moved around august/September like Leddy or Boychuk did. Having to re-sign Niederreiter and Granlund, it's pretty obvious something's got to give.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad