Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Kirill Kaprizov re-signs with the Wild (5 years, $9M AAV)

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
Not sure how well Minnesota will be able to compete with Suter/Parise buyouts on the books for the next few years.

I think in the long run eating those caps will be better than paying them to play for us and still having theirs caps. Suter could be an exception because he is still good but we could still be ok with some young up and comers.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I think in the long run eating those caps will be better than paying them to play for us and still having theirs caps. Suter could be an exception because he is still good but we could still be ok with some young up and comers.
Yeah, but I mean between those two + Kaprizov there isn't much money to go around to contend during these next 5 seasons.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Not sure how well Minnesota will be able to compete with Suter/Parise buyouts on the books for the next few years.

They'll need to rely on young talent on ELCs in the lineup who can make an impact. Guys like Boldy, Rossi, Addison need to step up.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The Victor Rask X-factor.

For example, February 26th through April 7th:

Rask- 22gp 2g 5a 7pts
Zuccarello- 20gp 3g 10a 13pts
Kaprizov- 22gp 12g 7a 19pts

This despite Rask getting time on PP1 and playing on a line with Zuc and Kaprizov. Talk about getting weighed down....
In Victor Rask’s defense Zuccarello isn’t any good either these days either, he was glomming off of Kaprizov more than anyone. He looked pretty cooked last season and he turned 34 on September 1st.

Good thing Zuccarello only has 3 years/6m left, with a NMC. But Wild fans should hate that Kaprizov contract.

Reactions: BlueOil

ctmagic

Jan 15, 2013
Zucc was hurt two years ago and had a great bounce back last season as he clicked with Kap. In no way shape or form was he “glomming” off of Kirill’s production. Zero wild fans are currently upset with where we are at with him and his place in the organization.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Your logic is very flawed. He did it all U23.

He did it as a teen, and a young 20 something.

He is in rare fraternity.

Sorry, you're wrong man.

so I checked and the list of guys above him in the U23 years is still a list of average guys in the NHL....hardly impressive!

Maybe he will be good long term and good for him if he is. I just meant 9 million per after a short audition is insane...

NHL career

51 points in 55 regular season games
3 points in 7 playoff games

5 years at 9 million cap hit per year. That is just crazy.

Agreed

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
so I checked and the list of guys above him in the U23 years is still a list of average guys in the NHL....hardly impressive!

Maybe he will be good long term and good for him if he is. I just meant 9 million per after a short audition is insane...

Wait. Wut? There is NO ONE ahead of him in U23 years, Kaprizov has the two best seasons for U23 players in the KHL. 3 of the top 10 seasons. Nobody comes even close in the goal scoring numbers....and would you really classify Tarasenko, Kuznetsov and Panarin as "hardly impressive"?

His final 2 seasons in the KHL, he led the entire league in goal scoring. Might want to recheck your list.

KHL U23 All Time Single Season Scoring Top 10

PlayerSeasonTeamGPGATP
Kirill Kaprizov2019-2020CSKA Moscow57332962
Kirill Kaprizov2018-2019CSKA Moscow57302151
Alexander Radulov2008-2009Salavat Yulaev Ufa52222648
Vladimir Tarasenko2011-2012Sibir Novosibirsk/SKA54232447
Anatoli Golyshev2015-2016Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg56251944
Evgeny Kuznetsov2012-2013Traktor Chelyabinsk51192544
Vadim Shipachyov2009-2010Severstal Cherepovets55143044
Kirill Kaprizov2016-2017Salavat Yulaev Ufa49202242
Evgeny Kuznetsov2011-2012Traktor Chelyabinsk49192241
Artemi Panarin2013-2014SKA St. Petersburg51202040
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
They'll need to rely on young talent on ELCs in the lineup who can make an impact. Guys like Boldy, Rossi, Addison need to step up.
if they step up like you think but likely wont it doesnt mean they wont get paid just because they are on elc's. if for example they put up 50 points they will get millions in bonuses not the 900k base salary. so if they dont leave the room in cap space at the beginning of year for bonuses they will be forced to use the millions they had to pay in bonuses by reducing the following years cap by that amount. so the more they produce the lower the cap the following year will be for them. this team will have to shed salary next year and alot of it.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
if they step up like you think but likely wont it doesnt mean they wont get paid just because they are on elc's. if for example they put up 50 points they will get millions in bonuses not the 900k base salary. so if they dont leave the room in cap space at the beginning of year for bonuses they will be forced to use the millions they had to pay in bonuses by reducing the following years cap by that amount. so the more they produce the lower the cap the following year will be for them. this team will have to shed salary next year and alot of it.

50 points might be a stretch in their first year or two....but even still, there should still be enough cap space to pay out bonuses even with the dead cap space. Besides that, Rask will not be re-signed which frees up another $4 million in space...and I'm not sure about Greenway or Dumba's future with the team, either...which would open up even more space.

Last edited:

P10p

May 15, 2012
In Victor Rask’s defense Zuccarello isn’t any good either these days either, he was glomming off of Kaprizov more than anyone. He looked pretty cooked last season and he turned 34 on September 1st.

Good thing Zuccarello only has 3 years/6m left, with a NMC. But Wild fans should hate that Kaprizov contract.

Not at all. Zuccarello played great last year when he was healthy.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

We don't.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Show me the list you checked, because I'm pretty certain you didn't do it right.

This is what's being referenced:
upload_2021-9-24_12-21-41.png

Kaprizov at age 21 and 22 was ahead of all of those other guys at age 21 and 22.

Same concept here looking at U24 years:
upload_2021-9-24_12-27-48.png

Kaprizov's production during these ages are the same as or better than current stars like Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Panarin at the same age in the KHL.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Wait. Wut? There is NO ONE ahead of him in U23 years, Kaprizov has the two best seasons for U23 players in the KHL. 3 of the top 10 seasons. Nobody comes even close in the goal scoring numbers....and would you really classify Tarasenko, Kuznetsov and Panarin as "hardly impressive"?

Not only that, but in his final 2 seasons in the KHL, he led the entire league in goal scoring. Might want to recheck your list.

KHL U23 All Time Single Season Scoring Top 10

PlayerSeasonTeamGPGATP
Kirill Kaprizov2019-2020CSKA Moscow57332962
Kirill Kaprizov2018-2019CSKA Moscow57302151
Alexander Radulov2008-2009Salavat Yulaev Ufa52222648
Vladimir Tarasenko2011-2012Sibir Novosibirsk/SKA54232447
Anatoli Golyshev2015-2016Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg56251944
Evgeny Kuznetsov2012-2013Traktor Chelyabinsk51192544
Vadim Shipachyov2009-2010Severstal Cherepovets55143044
Kirill Kaprizov2016-2017Salavat Yulaev Ufa49202242
Evgeny Kuznetsov2011-2012Traktor Chelyabinsk49192241
Artemi Panarin2013-2014SKA St. Petersburg51202040
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

And like Panarin, he was banging them in mostly with his ridiculous wicked wrist shot. It’s not rocket science here. He’s basically a finished product so, yes, he is clearly capable of continuing his current production. That’s worth 7-8m. The question is if he can figure out how to get more production in NHL. And the answer to that is very like yes. He should benefit from a normal season with full day practice. It wouldn’t surprise me if he shot even better next season, not sure why people think elite snipers can’t be relied on. The only reason he would shoot badly is injury. So he could work his way up to being worth more the 9m very quickly. I was probably more down on this deal than I should have been, but getting sucked into this because the one poster’s dumb intransigent arguments because weirdly fascinated me has caused me to think about it more. I’ve got over my knee jerk hostility to the holdout and have warmed up to it.

Panarin is ridiculously productive, he’s underpaid right now at 11.6m but the top elite producers are always underpaid, no teams can afford to what they’re worth (especially when they’re paying Truba 8m). So reaching Panarin’s production isn’t actually necessary here either for it to be ok.

As a side note, I was impressed by how he improved his English in the off-season. It’s not about “learn to speak good American buddy!”. It shows a dedication to his job, he really had to apply himself, you can improve with immersion and then easily slide when you go back to your home country and stop speaking that second language.

That and having plans to come to US without a contract in order to get a vaccine and quarantine also shows how hilariously much the BS KHL “offer” was the most idle of threats. And considering the Devils signed Jesper Bratt in January 10th last off-season (negotiations for his mammoth 2 year/2.75m apparently hit some snags) and he didn’t hit the ice until January 28th, it definitely was a helpful move.

Not at all. Zuccarello played great last year when he was healthy.
Ok, I’m glad Zuc played better then I thought he did, I don’t really care that much and Wild fans can stop chastising me about this.

I do stand by point that time comes for all men but it comes particularly hard for NHL wingers between the age of 34-36 so his remaining 3 year/6m isn’t good.

It’s really the only bad contract the Wild have. (No one deal is meaningful bad deal to me unless you’re a contender.) The Spurgeon and Brodin deals aren’t particularly good, but them seem ok in comparison to all of the long term defensemen deals that pretty much all GM subject themselves too.

The Wild seem mostly in danger of continuing their cursed existence as a team that’s forever just good. They still look like a bubble team who’s probably making the playoffs in that division. Maybe they should’ve dumped Talbot, signed Holtby and took a swing at being bad but there’s a lot competition for the bottom right now.

Only the bottom 11 teams qualify for the top pick under the new lottery rules. Minnesota would have qualified in 2019-20 (11th), 2018-19 (11th), 2011-12 (7th), 2010-11 (10th), 2009-10 (9th), 2005-06 (9th), 2001-02 (8th) and 2000-01 (6th).

I know this is not going to be news to Wild fans but I just that looked it up. Damn. Well I guess those 2003 and 2005 draft parties in Minnesota were pretty lit tho.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Some people can't handle the fact that the Wild now look like a dangerous team, talking crap about Zuccarello and obviously jealous about Kaprizov...

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey

After this season it changes to a 10 team NTC. the NMC was just for protection for the expansion draft.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
We don't.
Yeah, that was sarcasm, which is usually a bad idea in these situations when people are saying all sorts of things. Wild fans should not hate the contract. Not every post is a winner.

That wasn’t my point, I wasn’t clear and I also didn’t think Zuccarello fans would be so touchy. He’s swell, he’s the best, you can stop complaining about my one comment about him.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

?????

Equating Zuccarello to Rask on any level might be one of the most ridiculous things I've seen on this board. Zuccarello had one of his best seasons and meshed well with Kaprizov.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
know who else got a huge deal with limited NHL experience?

michael

matheson

hopefully it works out differently for the wild

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Show me the list you checked, because I'm pretty certain you didn't do it right.

This is what's being referenced:
View attachment 466265

Kaprizov at age 21 and 22 was ahead of all of those other guys at age 21 and 22.

Same concept here looking at U24 years:
View attachment 466268

Kaprizov's production during these ages are the same as or better than current stars like Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Panarin at the same age in the KHL.

Seems I made an error on that site. Regardless it doesn't change my opinion.

He might very well be as good as those guys you mentioned but I would require a lot more than 60ish games before I gave up 9 million per.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Seems I made an error on that site. Regardless it doesn't change my opinion.

He might very well be as good as those guys you mentioned but I would require a lot more than 60ish games before I gave up 9 million per.

I think I showed you over 200 games in that post. He's 24 years old and has been playing at this level for over 200 games now. He is what he is. He's not going to fall off a cliff at this point. The question surrounding him was can it translate to the NHL, and it did. So he gets paid.

More NHL games wasn't an option. A bridge deal wasn't an option here.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00