Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Kirill Kaprizov re-signs with the Wild (5 years, $9M AAV)

P10p

May 15, 2012
He’s been exceptional (a bit of an exaggeration) for 55 games. Apparently that is worth $45M now.

You're only looking at his stat line and not considering context when drawing your conclusion. How many times has this kind of logic been proven absurd when evaluating players?

Reactions: Guttersniped

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
This thread summed up "what a terrible contract this guys only played 55 regular season games against a handful of teams, you should trade this primadonna (to my team)"

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Gusev is a functional comparable no matter how you slice it.

No he wasn’t as good in the KHL at the same age, but did explode soon after once he was traded and NJ based their expectations on his KHL performance. He also had a good (not great) first season and then dropped off dramatically. I’m not comparing them skill wise, I’m comparing their situations.

Are you really trying to state there’s no way that a guy with 55 regular season games may not have enough sample for us to know what he really is, and there’s no chance he won’t drop off or remain the same? Interesting theory.

Older players posting points in the KHL is about the same as older players putting up big points in the AHL or over-agers in the CHL. Just not that impressive. What separates players like Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Panarin and Kaprizov from players like Gusev is the age in which they put up their numbers. The former list of players started producing pretty much right away, Gusev didn't have a 30+ point season until he was 23 years old.

With regards to the bolded, of course there's a chance. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Last edited:

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Good lord the privilege we accord these athletes! I would love to have control over my employers. Crazy!

It's not crazy considering the NHL isn't a regular business entity bound to labor laws.

I'd say a NTC equals things out a bit in light of the NHL being able to eschew standard labor and antitrust laws.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
This thread summed up "what a terrible contract this guys only played 55 regular season games against a handful of teams, you should trade this primadonna (to my team)"

To be fair, that other Kaprizov thread is full of Minnesota fans screaming "He only played 55 games and he's holding out for a ridiculous shorter term payday? What a primadonna!" :laugh:

Reactions: nbwingsfan

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
To be fair, that other Kaprizov thread is full of Minnesota fans screaming "He only played 55 games and he's holding out for a ridiculous shorter term payday? What a primadonna!" :laugh:

I mean, we were saying the reported 5 x 9m AAV was a fair offer, and BG shouldn't cave.

He didn't, and it's exactly what was signed.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis

That was more about the process and the threats vs the term and the dollars. And I still say that his camp needlessly dragged this through the mud only to get to the same, fair place they likely could have gotten too weeks (if not months) ago.

But whatever

P10p

May 15, 2012
What context are you using to prove the logic to be absurd? :sarcasm:

The Victor Rask X-factor.

For example, February 26th through April 7th:

Rask- 22gp 2g 5a 7pts
Zuccarello- 20gp 3g 10a 13pts
Kaprizov- 22gp 12g 7a 19pts

This despite Rask getting time on PP1 and playing on a line with Zuc and Kaprizov. Talk about getting weighed down....

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
The one season argument really lacks context with Kaprizov. He has superstar skills and displayed those superstar skills for years as a seasoned KHL pro. Literally nothing changed in his first pro-year. There's risk with every long-term contract, but this is such an easy decision at this cap. If anything I'm sure the Wild wanted more years from him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The one season argument really lacks context with Kaprizov. He has superstar skills and displayed those superstar skills for years as a seasoned KHL pro. Literally nothing changed in his first pro-year. There's risk with every long-term contract, but this is such an easy decision at this cap. If anything I'm sure the Wild wanted more years from him.

Definitely did.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
Looks like a good deal for a really good player to me. Lots of sour grapes here. Congrats minny fans.

And now, back to hating your guts. <3

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You're only looking at his stat line and not considering context when drawing your conclusion. How many times has this kind of logic been proven absurd when evaluating players?
Nope. I’m looking at the context of someone getting $45M after 55 games over ONE season. It’s a massive, massive risk and sets a bad standard.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I mean, we were saying the reported 5 x 9m AAV was a fair offer, and BG shouldn't cave.

He didn't, and it's exactly what was signed.
Can you name any player who’s ever signed a similar type contract? How is this “fair” given the context of every contract signed around the NHL?

north21

May 1, 2014
MN

Can we all just agree that everyone was wrong except they were all right about liking/complaining about 5 by 9. Also you cant get a Madonna at primadonna prices it just doesnt happen. Fingers crossed for full-madonna!

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Can you name any player who’s ever signed a similar type contract? How is this “fair” given the context of every contract signed around the NHL?

Can you name any player that has had similar circumstances? I can only name one, and even that's not a match because Panarin didn't have a pandemic eating a year of his ELC through no fault of the player or team.

Reactions: Ban Hammered

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Can you name any player that has had similar circumstances? I can only name one, and even that's not a match because Panarin didn't have a pandemic eating a year of his ELC through no fault of the player or team.
I’ve seen many players be offered a contract after just one season of NHL play yes. They weren’t given anything else even close to this in terms of contract.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I’ve seen many players be offered a contract after just one season of NHL play yes. They weren’t given anything else even close to this in terms of contract.
Players who were in their mid 20's so couldn't be bridged without walking them right to UFA, who had incredibly good seasons and only 1 year in the league? Care to name some of them?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

You've seen many players offered a contract after 1 season at 24 years old, after destroying the second best league in the world for 4 seasons, leading their team in goals(40 goal pace) and points while taking home the Calder in their lone season?

I'd be curious to see the list of players that fit Kaprizov's circumstances...

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Nope. I’m looking at the context of someone getting $45M after 55 games over ONE season. It’s a massive, massive risk and sets a bad standard.

Marner got $65M after one 90+ point season. I don't think the 60-70 point player he was prior to that was what got him almost 11M AAV.
Draisaitl got 8.5M AAV for one almost point per game season.
Aho got 8.5M for one point per game season.
Pastrnak got almost 7M AAV for one good season.
Larkin got paid based on one good season.
Meier got paid based on one good season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad