Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Kirill Kaprizov re-signs with the Wild (5 years, $9M AAV)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It’s a small sample size period. KHL is no prognosticator for success in the NHL.

He’s probably worth it, but there’s no proof in looking back to his KHL days.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
How is Tampa of all teams a template? They give all their young players short bridge deals because that’s all they can afford in their cap crunch. They don’t get burned after the deals are up because players want to stay on the unstoppable Cup winning juggernaut in the tax-friendly Sunny Florida.

Unless you’re arguing any NHL team can get players like Kucherov and Point signed to 8 year/9.5m deals when then they are one year from UFA, but that’s a ludicrous argument.

Saying the Wild shouldn’t be concerned about Kaprizov hitting arbitration when he will have only been on the team for two year or three years, and likely won nothing while not playing with future Hall of Famers (so not Tampa), is magical thinking. Sorry, you can’t complain about the risks of around performance and then hand waive this more concrete one away.

And lol on agreeing with the Wild getting “2 years to fix any cap issues” actually means anything considering what their cap situation is.

View attachment 466466
That ain’t a two year thing and you can’t “fix” it. (I think some Wild fans might have mentioned their cap situation in this thread before, once or twice or 97 times before.)
Wow, do you talk like this? Who are you quoting?

There is nothing wrong with paying a player his worth.

Last edited:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
It’s a small sample size period. KHL is no prognosticator for success in the NHL.

He’s probably worth it, but there’s no proof in looking back to his KHL days.

Depending on who you ask, you get different definitions of "proof". For some people, nothing is proven until a player is past their prime. That's why a lot of GMs overpay old players.

I think Kaprizov's deal is a bit rich given his sample size, too, but I'd rather the Wild risk that much money on Kaprizov than do more lengthy contracts with NMC's for 28+ year old players. I've seen enough of that to know it goes nowhere. If the Wild have to overpay someone, let it be the guy that has superstar potential ahead of him, and not behind him.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
The craziest part is that he didn’t look great for the first dozen or so games & yet is still producing at over a PPG. Guy is a superstar & worth every dollar of his $9M cap hit.

thought i read a quote before where he says he always starts slow, that's why he wasn't worried about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00