Value of: Miller + to EDM for Oilers 2018 1st pick [unconditional]

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
A homer?

Are you actually trying to suggest that that offer makes sense for NYR at all?

Even for the fact it would increase their chances of 1OA by 4%?

That is pretty poor odds by comparison for JT Miller plus a first round pick.
the chances that the pick the rangers get from the oilers being better than the player the rangers get from the 2020 draft + miller will be pretty high

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
This might be the worst trade I've seen here for a while.

If you're looking to get a 1st this year trade with someone else who could use Miller. It won't likely be a lottery pick.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Nevermind, just realised its NYR 2020 1st. Edmonton won't do it. And NYR are still playing Dahlen roullette.

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Would you trade a chance at Dahlin for a 50 point forward?
If ya don't like the value, fine, that's why I asked.
But let's be fair and accurate.
It's not just Miller, it's Miller and a future 1st.

The whole thing is where do you think Oilers finish
a) w/out Miller
b) w/Miller

yes the Rangers 2020 is a crapshoot, but you are getting the F now to move up.

EDM needs more quality players
Miller is better than 50pts w/o AV, and would help create a dominant line with McDavid + LeoDrai

w/o knowing where we your team finishes and what that means to lottery odds, it's a guesstimate of reward v risk

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Pass from Edmonton. If we end up with a chance to get Dahlin in the lottery (which we likely will), we aren't trading it. Maybe after the lottery we consider trading the pick if we don't win, but until then, that pick is going nowhere.
Thanks.

The whole issue is based on who wants to gamble, or not.
If there is a wait and see and it is the 1st, then the price would go up, and even still, you would not move it; if it is not the 1st, NY does not make this deal.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Wtf?

Am I reading this right?

JT Miller plus a 2020 1st for Oilers 1st (Unprotected)?

That is a massively ridiculous offer from a Rangers stand point. We lose a young 50+ point scorer and a 1st rounder for.....well a 1st Rounder

Of course it is overpayment.
Have to give to get.
Reward v Risk has to be addressed.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
What an awful Trade for the Oilers. First of all JT Miller is not that good of a player, he's not the type of player you win with in the playoffs, 40 games 1 goal in the playoffs, isn't the kind of garbage the oilers should be getting back if they're trading their top pick..

P.s. i know the Rangers are including the 2020 1st round pick but that pick could easily be a mid to late pick..

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It's the Dahlin insanity many people have. Losing Miller to maybe move up 3 or 4 spots would be nuts. It's not like we're looking at a long playoff run ourselves.

It is not moving up 3 or 4 slots.
It is a swap of picks at the cost of JT to ADD another pick this year to get 2 bites of the apple.
Figure EDM finishes 7-10 instead of 5-6. Rangers finish 4th or 5th from bottom. Slightly improved odds.
Of course, possible injury could skew things, and EDM may go on a tear and avoid the lottery altogether
it's a gamble

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Huge JT Miller fan, but the Oilers can't afford him long term. The Eberle trade happened because we needed to budget more money towards retaining the defense. With Nurse coming up this summer, that's not changing.

Also, the first is off the table. We need the prospect depth.

Fair enough as to 1st off the table.
Miller will renew 8 years w/Rangers at 4.25 per, but may go less term for mo $ - closer to 5m - if sent elsewhere.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Horrible for the Rangers. Edmonton would wet themselves to sell a lotto ticket like that.

It's an unprotected first for a 50 point player and a dice roll two years from now. No GM in their right mind is trading a lotto pick. If that ends up as Dahlin and he pans out as expected that's one of the worst trades ever.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
It is not moving up 3 or 4 slots.
It is a swap of picks at the cost of JT to ADD another pick this year to get 2 bites of the apple.
Figure EDM finishes 7-10 instead of 5-6. Rangers finish 4th or 5th from bottom. Slightly improved odds.
Of course, possible injury could skew things, and EDM may go on a tear and avoid the lottery altogether
it's a gamble
Yeah, my bad, thought it was this year's pick when I first read it.

Not sure what kind of value a first 2 years down the road has honestly. Has one ever been traded two years out?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
no, Bern. Just no. A 2020 first even though you have both of your 2018 and 2019 firsts? That just screams cheap.

Unconditional? Are you out of your mind?
Not cheap.
There is risk/reward either way.
Oil can't guarantee anything with that pick, so that's as far as I go.
You rather keep it, develop it, and put it to use in a couple of years, fine.

Obviously, if Oil were to get Dahlin directly, that would be a massive loss, but that is a very, very small chance.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Bern, it's no secret I'm not in your fan club, but I'm going to keep it civil. Trading a first rounder before draft day is risky. Trading a first rounder a year ahead of time even moreso. Two years out is like going all in without even looking at your hand. This is how Guy Lafleur became one of the great Montreal Canadiens of all time instead of the savior of the Golden Seals franchise. You are the only guy I know that could make proposals that Phil Esposito would dismiss as madness. Two years from now Henrik could very well be gone. Shestorkin could be great, or he could go Dan Blackburn and fizzle for no fault of his own. You don't know what this team will look like in 2020. It's a gamble, but it's heavily weighted towards busting. Too big of a risk to take.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Not cheap.
There is risk/reward either way.
Oil can't guarantee anything with that pick, so that's as far as I go.
You rather keep it, develop it, and put it to use in a couple of years, fine.

Obviously, if Oil were to get Dahlin directly, that would be a massive loss, but that is a very, very small chance.

Right, but you're trying to get Edmonton to take every ounce of the risk here for a pretty poor return. There isn't even any conditional picks added in case of a top 3 pick or a lottery win. The value is all on NYR's side.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
I don't think that any GM will ever trade an unconditional pick in the next Summers draft ever again.
There is bold and then there is reckless(stupid?).
GMs want to keep their jobs.
No GM will get pilloried or fired for a trade that they didn't make but they would if they made one and it cost them an player like Rasmus Dahlin.

Think of the Sens trade for Duchene.
It is the Sens who decide whether the Colorado pick will be in this years draft (if the Sens are in the top 10 they chose whether this will be Colorado's pick or whether they will get the Sens unconditional first pick the following year).
This allows the GM the whole next year to make sure that their first pick isn't a lottery pick.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yeah, my bad, thought it was this year's pick when I first read it.

Not sure what kind of value a first 2 years down the road has honestly. Has one ever been traded two years out?

no big whoop on the misread.
You and I may disagree on some things, but there is no animosity.

There are too many variables esp since NYR will undergo large makeover to know where that pick projects.

I felt 2020 was fair given the surrender of the known commodity in Miller, and was close enough.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
no big whoop on the misread.
You and I may disagree on some things, but there is no animosity.

There are too many variables esp since NYR will undergo large makeover to know where that pick projects.

I felt 2020 was fair given the surrender of the known commodity in Miller, and was close enough.
Yeah, we're all speculating, you give us some out of the box stuff to think on/talk about. People take the trade board in particular way too seriously Imo. I wouldn't want every thread to be so out there, but now and again it doesn't hurt.

But yeah, aside from lack of historical precedent and EDM really, really needing a guy like Dahlin, NYR's 2020 pick is too unknown given what they plan to try to do. Could be a lottery pick, could be kind late depending on a ton of factors.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Bern, it's no secret I'm not in your fan club, but I'm going to keep it civil. Trading a first rounder before draft day is risky. Trading a first rounder a year ahead of time even moreso. Two years out is like going all in without even looking at your hand. This is how Guy Lafleur became one of the great Montreal Canadiens of all time instead of the savior of the Golden Seals franchise. You are the only guy I know that could make proposals that Phil Esposito would dismiss as madness. Two years from now Henrik could very well be gone. Shestorkin could be great, or he could go Dan Blackburn and fizzle for no fault of his own. You don't know what this team will look like in 2020. It's a gamble, but it's heavily weighted towards busting. Too big of a risk to take.

Thanks for the honest exchange.
And I agree let's keep it civil.
I am not a fan of Espo as either GM or what we got for Ratelle/Park, so assuming your assessment is correct, I am not insulted.

As to the bold, it IS a HUGE risk.
However, if you want difference makers, and can't likely get one otherwise, you have to gamble like this, even if you lose.

Depth is important.
But teams that get Crosby, etc have a leg up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad