Prospect Info: Miles Wood

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'd stay away from making any predictions of Wood. The body of work is just too small, perhaps incomplete is a better word.

To date, his largest body of work is 60 prep school games.

Then you have 37 NCAA games and 31 NHL games. Oh and let's not forget 14 AHL games.

My opinion, it is virtually impossible to tell where he is in his development curve. He's never played any place long enough to show progression other than high school and that is as good as no information at all. Wood could very well be pretty close to all he'll ever be right now(add some refinement through experience) or Wood might have a few more levels to reach. It is completely unknown mainly because there is so little history.

Yeah he is a real unknown.

What we see could be it, or he could be so raw that this is simply the beginning.

I definitely have hopes he will turn into a good and useful player.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Yeah he is a real unknown.

What we see could be it, or he could be so raw that this is simply the beginning.

I definitely have hopes he will turn into a good and useful player.

I think the best thing is that from Santini's and other's quotes - he is evidently a real fun guy to be around. Takes everything pretty lightly. Seems like he's got the right mentality and doesn't grip the stick too tightly... which is rare amongst our forwards these days.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
There are definitely a lot of similarities. I think of Kreider as Wood's upside. It would be great if he could hit it.

I've made these type of probabilistic ranges with Santini before (Orpik/Scuderi/Petrecki), but here we go with Wood:

Chris Kreider: 25%
Jason Chimera: 45%
Chad Kilger: 20%
Kyle Beach: 10%

The percentages are somewhat arbitrary, but that's how I view Wood as far as likeliehood of his career progression.

Somewhat arbitrary? Or are you using Blackman Schoales?

Hilarious. I give Wood 3 purple daisies and Kreider 4 orange pansies.

I mean, what the hell - you just picked random thoughts and opinions out of your head there, and then put them into numbers to somehow lend them credence.

Wanna know why 'stats guys' are sometimes looked upon with a jaundiced eye?

Last edited:

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Anyone remember Mattias Tedenby? Couldn't find a more divergent style from Wood, but everyone was convinced we had the next Sergei Samsonov after his rookie season.

The rest of the NHL adjusts. It's up to the young player to continue growing.

The same people who think Wood has a ceiling higher than Kreider are the same ones who will throw him under the bus if he has a sophomore slump.

Maybe we have different interpretations of the word "ceiling." To me, a ceiling is if everything clicks and the kid addresses all of his weaknesses and continues to build on his strengths, what is the best player he could possibly become in a perfect development scenario. If every single thing clicks for Wood and he addresses his defensive/possession issues, he can be better than Kreider. He put up better numbers at the same age at the same level and he has similar, if not better tools. Imo, Wood's absolute ceiling is higher than Kreider. Somewhere between Kreider and Blake Wheeler. Again, this is in an ideal development scenario. Not what is likely or expected.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Maybe we have different interpretations of the word "ceiling." To me, a ceiling is if everything clicks and the kid addresses all of his weaknesses and continues to build on his strengths, what is the best player he could possibly become in a perfect development scenario. To me, if every single thing clicks for Wood and he addresses his defensive/possession issues, he can be better than Kreider. He put up better numbers at the same age at the same level and he has similar, if not better tools. Imo, Wood's absolute ceiling his higher than Kreider.

Do you really think there's a 15% chance of Wood putting all that together though?

It's more like 5%, probably even smaller for a guy as raw as Wood.

I'm starting to realize I'm going to have to be very careful in what context I talk about Wood's name in.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Maybe we have different interpretations of the word "ceiling." To me, a ceiling is if everything clicks and the kid addresses all of his weaknesses and continues to build on his strengths, what is the best player he could possibly become in a perfect development scenario. If every single thing clicks for Wood and he addresses his defensive/possession issues, he can be better than Kreider. He put up better numbers at the same age at the same level and he has similar, if not better tools. Imo, Wood's absolute ceiling his higher than Kreider.

yeah, I'd agree with this. I already think he has better vision than Kreider. He's made some passes that I thought were exceptional. I think he has a wider body than Kreider and will fill out to be even bigger so hopefully that means less injuries. He probably has the same or more straightline speed, but I think of Kreider as a bit shiftier... and then there are all of the facets of Woods game that are just raw in comparison right now.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I think it's fair to say that Wood is at worst a solid 4th liner. Taken in the fourth round, you have to be happy with that considering the odds of a 4th rounder becoming a NHLer in general. If he becomes more then that's great, if he's not more, he's already proven he can at least be a 4th liner at worst.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
yeah, I'd agree with this. I already think he has better vision than Kreider. He's made some passes that I thought were exceptional. I think he has a wider body than Kreider and will fill out to be even bigger so hopefully that means less injuries. He probably has the same or more straightline speed, but I think of Kreider as a bit shiftier... and then there are all of the facets of Woods game that are just raw in comparison right now.

I don't think Wood will ever be able to shoot the puck like Kreider.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Maybe I'm seeing things but I feel like Wood has been slowing himself down a bit so he can rush up ice with his linemates.

Which he needs to start doing, it's a step in the right direction.

Lately, and especially this game, he's been puck chasing rather than playing with his linemates in the offensive zone. Henrique's goal was a perfect example that ended up getting a perfect bounce.

If he can work on the above, he'd likely start seeing a lot more offensive zone time. Too many times he is caught right next to another forward allowing an easy clear for the other team.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Finally got demoted after missing that puck on the forecheck that led to the 3rd Flames goal. Also wasn't on his man on the backcheck but that ended up not mattering.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He was also on for a shift where it looked like a Flames PP in 2nd period. Probably the only time we looked bad in the 2nd period. I just noticed him and Helgeson out there, then they iced it and they couldn't get out of their end for close to 60 seconds. My friend said he took out his iPhone and counted 53 seconds on the stop watch, but he said he might not have started counting right when the puck was dropped. Think someone blocked the puck up and out of play to eventually end that miserable shift.

He's much better at offense than any of the bottom 6 stiffs, but is on for too many chances against. DSP is probably not too far behind him in that regard.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
So do you guys think he will ever be an effective middle 6 player, or will he be sent back to the AHL eventually?

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
So do you guys think he will ever be an effective middle 6 player, or will he be sent back to the AHL eventually?

People seemed to think he wasn't ready for the big league due to his abominable corsi numbers, but they've been markedly improved the last few games. I think he's here to stay.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
People seemed to think he wasn't ready for the big league due to his abominable corsi numbers, but they've been markedly improved the last few games. I think he's here to stay.

No they haven't. He's still below 40% and was a giant minus in Corsi against Calgary.

I don't think they'll be sending him down, but when Bennett comes back, either he or Noesen should take Wood's spot on the 2nd line.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I think both are quite possible. More likely the latter in the near term, at least at the end of the season.

His effectiveness as a middle 6er? Well I guess how effective he is in such a role even as of right now is up for debate. But I'd say he is fairly effective.

Last edited:

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
No they haven't. He's still below 40% and was a giant minus in Corsi against Calgary.

I don't think they'll be sending him down, but when Bennett comes back, either he or Noesen should take Wood's spot on the 2nd line.

I'll point out Adam Henrique and Cammy, his linemates, were also terrible in that game. Henrique was actually our worst player in corsi that night.

He was our 3rd best possession forward yesterday at 5v5. It'll take a while for him to get his full season numbers up, but he's having solid performances more and more often.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'll point out Adam Henrique and Cammy, his linemates, were also terrible in that game. Henrique was actually our worst player in corsi that night.

He was our 3rd best possession forward yesterday at 5v5. It'll take a while for him to get his full season numbers up, but he's having solid performances more and more often.

He's definitely been better, but the possession numbers are definitely concerning. It seems like with the increased iced time he is no longer able to go full out reckless like he usually does with limited shifts. That forces him to actual work on playing within a system which is better for him in the long run.

The one area that keeps bothering me watching Wood is it seems he chases the puck often in the offensive zone with no thought in how to cycle and create space. If a puck gets lose, he almost always goes for it even if there is a closer forward to the play. This usually leads to there being no outlet to the Devils player who wins the puck battle or the opposing team just easily breaks out with the Devils too clumped at one side of the ice. A lot of the times the defender on Wood joins the puck battle which makes it harder to win and create offense.

Instead, if Wood were to just stay where he was at, it would spread the defense out and provide an outlet for his linemates. On Henrique's goal, it just so happened that he caused enough havoc for Henrique to get the goal, but more often than not it leads to the other team exiting the zone.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Wood was our 4th best corsi player at 5v5 today.

He was also replaced by Kalinin on his line at the end of the game when the Devils were getting barraged with shots.

That's not a slight to him either; Him, Henrique, and Cammalleri were solid as a line all game. They had the most zone time out of all of our lines.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Ht

Maybe I'm seeing things but I feel like Wood has been slowing himself down a bit so he can rush up ice with his linemates.

He has which also shows you can work on and improve aspects of your game at the NHL level. Which was my biggest argument as to why he shouldn't be sent down, and my belief that you don't have to be sent to a lower level of hockey, to learn new things or improve situational play. He's still not perfect nor will he ever be, especially in the defensive zone. I think we can expect for him to never be the sole reason why his line ever gets hemmed in their own zone, and at least evolve into an average defensive player. It's just his style of play. He is more of a guy who will always be one of the better player in the league at generating odd man rushes or breakaways. Like a Grabner type but when he's not scoring he can still be physical, fight and change momentum. If Grabner doesn't score it's like playing with 11 forwards. Miles also has 2 points in his last 3 games, so he hasn't stopped producing. I also think he can be effective on the PP which the coaches like to use him on, because he goes to the front an

No matter what I feel like Miles Wood, will always be a polarizing player among fans within this organization. Between the fans that want him to be a typical Devils player; who's flawless defensively, always sound positionally in our zone. Compared to the fans like me who believe we haven't drafted a guy with his abilities, he's a rare talent, with a peculiar skill set and I honestly don't want him to be a typical robotic Devils player of the best. I don't want him to lose his recklessness or idiosyncrati way of playing hockey. I don't think we need him to master typical defensive abilities expected of Devils prospects in the past and for a lack of a a better word, I feel like we could neuter his as hockey. All he needs to do is get good enough defensive wise where he's not negatively effecting the team.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
He has which also shows you can work on and improve aspects of your game at the NHL level. Which was my biggest argument as to why he shouldn't be sent down, and my belief that you don't have to be sent to a lower level of hockey, to learn new things or improve situational play. He's still not perfect nor will he ever be, especially in the defensive zone. I think we can expect for him to never be the sole reason why his line ever gets hemmed in their own zone, and at least evolve into an average defensive player. It's just his style of play. He is more of a guy who will always be one of the better player in the league at generating odd man rushes or breakaways. Like a Grabner type but when he's not scoring he can still be physical, fight and change momentum. If Grabner doesn't score it's like playing with 11 forwards. Miles also has 2 points in his last 3 games, so he hasn't stopped producing. I also think he can be effective on the PP which the coaches like to use him on, because he goes to the front an

No matter what I feel like Miles Wood, will always be a polarizing player among fans within this organization. Between the fans that want him to be a typical Devils player; who's flawless defensively, always sound positionally in our zone. Compared to the fans like me who believe we haven't drafted a guy with his abilities, he's a rare talent, with a peculiar skill set and I honestly don't want him to be a typical robotic Devils player of the best. I don't want him to lose his recklessness or idiosyncrati way of playing hockey. I don't think we need him to master typical defensive abilities expected of Devils prospects in the past and for a lack of a a better word, I feel like we could neuter his as hockey. All he needs to do is get good enough defensive wise where he's not negatively effecting the team.
Wood is not good enough to only be average or below average defensively. He has to be one of the better players defensively since he will be getting so many DZone starts. Being good defensively gives him more breakaways and odd man rushes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad