Prospect Info: Miles Wood

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I didn't get to see any of the camp but from all reports he performed extremely well. For those that did see him, I know it's a small sample and how he performs in college will show more, did he really show top6 upside?

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I didn't get to see any of the camp but from all reports he performed extremely well. For those that did see him, I know it's a small sample and how he performs in college will show more, did he really show top6 upside?

I think so. I was impressed with his shot and skating for someone of his size. He is physical already and that will only improve as he plays in college i believe. He goes for the front of the net. He also does good thing on D.

I could see a ceiling as a top-6 winger. I think even if he doesnt get there he will be a good bottom 6 guy.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I think so. I was impressed with his shot and skating for someone of his size. He is physical already and that will only improve as he plays in college i believe. He goes for the front of the net. He also does good thing on D.

I could see a ceiling as a top-6 winger. I think even if he doesnt get there he will be a good bottom 6 guy.

Agree but it's going to take a while like 3 or 4 years or more
from today.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Just seems way to early to tell. Kid could be special, could be ordinary. We really need to see how he handles his freshman year of college.

Thanks for the responses. I figured after playing for USA as a HS player only said good things but some seemed to already be writing him off as far as upside. Everything I've read has been encouraging. I think if he gets enough ice time he'll do well at BC given his size and skill.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
From what I've seen from him I don't think a ppg season or at least close to it is out the question next season in college.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Thanks for the responses. I figured after playing for USA as a HS player only said good things but some seemed to already be writing him off as far as upside. Everything I've read has been encouraging. I think if he gets enough ice time he'll do well at BC given his size and skill.

I don't think there is anything really bad to say about him so far, but the sample size is small to make any sort of sweeping judgments. I do think there is reason to be optimistic that he could be a good one for us.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Apparently he had 2 goals in the 3-on-3 and I saw that he got 2 assists in the scrimmage. I'm very excited for him.

Funny story: in my EHM GM mode Wood developed into a top line LW. They list him as a power forward like Ilya Kovalchuk

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Apparently he had 2 goals in the 3-on-3 and I saw that he got 2 assists in the scrimmage. I'm very excited for him.

Funny story: in my EHM GM mode Wood developed into a top line LW. They list him as a power forward like Ilya Kovalchuk

Then it's settled lol.

Wood-Zacha-RW1

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The thing that's intriguing about Miles Wood is he has all the tools to be a very good player in this league. It's a matter of if he can put them all together.

If he is the real deal, meaning he will break into some of that top six potential he has, then I think he will be pretty close to a PPG in college next year. Keep in mind that he is entering college two years older then your ordinary prospect. It's not that it's a bad thing; it's just that I think the expectations need to be set pretty high.

Even if he doesn't hit that potential, he could still be a very solid player in the future. Even as a middle-six type. The only thing is he's a real project and was when he was drafted. Devils knew they weren't going to get any benefit from this pick for at least four or five years, but the upside was way too good to pass up.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
The thing that's intriguing about Miles Wood is he has all the tools to be a very good player in this league. It's a matter of if he can put them all together.

If he is the real deal, meaning he will break into some of that top six potential he has, then I think he will be pretty close to a PPG in college next year. Keep in mind that he is entering college two years older then your ordinary prospect. It's not that it's a bad thing; it's just that I think the expectations need to be set pretty high.

Even if he doesn't hit that potential, he could still be a very solid player in the future. Even as a middle-six type. The only thing is he's a real project and was when he was drafted. Devils knew they weren't going to get any benefit from this pick for at least four or five years, but the upside was way too good to pass up.

Absolutely, could be great value for a 4th rd pick.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Absolutely, could be great value for a 4th rd pick.

It's a nice risk to take.

What's even more perfect, in my opinion, is that if you project when he would join the Devils roster, it should be right around the time when all these young guys we have should be clicking on all cylinders.

If we could have Wood step in somewhat like Gaudreau did last year and add to a group that includes guys like Coleman, Zacha, Quenneville, Boucher, Matteau with a few years of pro experience, we would be in great shape. If we can pick up a guy like Mathews or Puljujarvi in this draft too, we would be so set. Combine that with the young D we have now and Schneider.

It's hard to predict the future and we never know what will happen, but it looks really exciting from a timeline perspective.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I wouldn't close the book on his potential if his freshman year isn't stellar. His path is kind of unique so its hard to say when he should be showing his upside IMO.

Possible the jump up in competition in college (especially at BC) might take some adjustment time. Then again he might just settle right in and be fine.

I do think he could work out really well for us. He has the tools it seems.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Shero and Hynes are discussing Miles...Kujawinski too.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
It's a nice risk to take.

What's even more perfect, in my opinion, is that if you project when he would join the Devils roster, it should be right around the time when all these young guys we have should be clicking on all cylinders.

If we could have Wood step in somewhat like Gaudreau did last year and add to a group that includes guys like Coleman, Zacha, Quenneville, Boucher, Matteau with a few years of pro experience, we would be in great shape. If we can pick up a guy like Mathews or Puljujarvi in this draft too, we would be so set. Combine that with the young D we have now and Schneider.

It's hard to predict the future and we never know what will happen, but it looks really exciting from a timeline perspective.

Don't forget the potential for a trade or two and a FA or two. Things are difficult right now but I do believe we're heading in the right direction.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

If he is the real deal, meaning he will break into some of that top six potential he has, then I think he will be pretty close to a PPG in college next year.
Keep in mind that he is entering college two years older then your ordinary prospect. It's not that it's a bad thing; it's just that I think the expectations need to be set pretty high.

But if he is such a project then why would you expect results so quickly in the NCAA?

I don't know if he is a huge project pick per se, he was more of an off the radar type imo.
I wouldn't close the book on his potential if his freshman year isn't stellar. His path is kind of unique so its hard to say when he should be showing his upside IMO.

Possible the jump up in competition in college (especially at BC) might take some adjustment time. Then again he might just settle right in and be fine.

Ya agree, and to zippy's point maybe he is a project, and if so maybe he's not ready for top 6 time at BC and thus will unlikely put up point totals. But a year or two in as he get's acclimated to the higher level of play, perhaps that is when his talent will shine through.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
But if he is such a project then why would you expect results so quickly in the NCAA?

I don't know if he is a huge project pick per se, he was more of an off the radar type imo.

Ya agree, and to zippy's point maybe he is a project, and if so maybe he's not ready for top 6 time at BC and thus will unlikely put up point totals. But a year or two in as he get's acclimated to the higher level of play, perhaps that is when his talent will shine through.

He was the most coveted commitment this year.

The reason I would expect better results from him is he is a 20 year old jumping to college. I guess I was unfair to say a PPG, but after getting adjusted, I would hope he separates himself from the mass of other players joining BC. If he can't look better than guys like Bracco next year, who is two years younger, then I would lose a bit of hope in some of his high end potential.

That's not to say he can't become a solid player, but in order for him to be a top line player in the future, I think he needs to stand out next year.

Don't forget the potential for a trade or two and a FA or two. Things are difficult right now but I do believe we're heading in the right direction.

Absolutely. It's easy to have a dull outlook on the future, but just putting together a rough timeline makes me so excited for how it can turn out. If we manage to get Matthews or Puljujarvi, this team is going to be good very quickly.

NJD1982

Mar 31, 2007

Lol that's weird. In my EHM he's struggling to score points for BC, was gonna throw him a contract after the season and see how he does in Albany.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I agree with this. One thing to remember is he is still a freshman regardless of his age, you don't see many freshmen light up college hockey. There will be an adjustment for him and there will be a pecking order for him...I wouldn't be surprised to see him start in the bottom 6.

I like Miles a lot and for the past year I've been referring to him as "possibly our best forward prospect" but I would temper my expectations of his freshman year.

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC
The issue is whether he stays in college long enough to become a free agent

No need to worry about that just yet. Something like that would be years away I believe (Is it 3 or 4?)

If he blows the doors off at BC in a good way he'll probably want to sign soon and leave school early. I think Hayes and the recent DMan who signed in Minny are more the exception than the rule

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The issue is whether he stays in college long enough to become a free agent

No need to worry about that just yet. Something like that would be years away I believe (Is it 3 or 4?)

If he blows the doors off at BC in a good way he'll probably want to sign soon and leave school early. I think Hayes and the recent DMan who signed in Minny are more the exception than the rule

Any player that stays in college four years will be eligible to become a free agent regardless of circumstance, if he started college like most people do, at 18 years old. It's how the CBA is. You can worry about it for every prospect if you want, but to me, it's ridiculously stupid to jump the gun on every guy.

Now, the Devils in four years should be a pretty attractive team to join, if you ask me. Matteau and/or Boucher should be on the team for a few years. Zacha, Coleman, Blandisi, Quenneville, etc. should have a couple years of experience. All of them might not make it but the guys that do will be young and on the upswing. Add a top prospect like Mathews or Puljujarvi with that group too. On top of that, our D will still be young but with tons of experience.

If Wood is good enough to jump right into the NHL -- which is the case for guys who go for free agency -- I don't see why he wouldn't want to join the Devils.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Lol that's weird. In my EHM he's struggling to score points for BC, was gonna throw him a contract after the season and see how he does in Albany.

He performed quite average at BC for me (2 years- 22pts in 50, 39pts in 50). I signed him and he actually went nearly a PPG in Albany. I think the key was that he was put on 1st line and performed. His "career role" now is "Offensive power-forward, 1st line talent."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad