Prospect Info: Miles Wood

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
One thing to keep in mind with regard to Wood is that he has literally played 45 games of professional hockey. Two years ago he was playing prep hockey. He's not even close to reaching his ceiling at this point and he's already become a fan favorite and a contributing player at the NHL level.

That's also the main concern as far as how raw his game goes and if he needs more of a development focused approach right now.

He was much stronger in all areas against the Kings and there were rookie mistakes and poor reads at times, but thats expected given how young he is. The way he played against the Flyers is unsustainable over an 82 game season but it's good to see he has it in his wheelhouse. He just needs to find a way to slow the game down at times and be effective in every game without being a detriment. Using his speed can't be the only option every shift and every night. The Kings game was a step in the right direction in that regard.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
That's also the main concern as far as how raw his game goes and if he needs more of a development focused approach right now.

He was much stronger in all areas against the Kings and there were rookie mistakes and poor reads at times, but thats expected given how young he is. The way he played against the Flyers is unsustainable over an 82 game season but it's good to see he has it in his wheelhouse. He just needs to find a way to slow the game down at times and be effective in every game without being a detriment. Using his speed can't be the only option every shift and every night. The Kings game was a step in the right direction in that regard.

Are we basing this strictly off his corsi #s?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Are we basing this strictly off his corsi #s?

I'm sure this was a back-handed comment, but this was based solely off watching him. Said the same after the game.

He was much better at supporting his teammates and it led to more time in the offensive zone. Rather than flying into the zone and being the first guy in with no support, he was entering the zone with his teammates and spending time there. He was better at being in the right position which helps to sustain time in the offensive zone and get out of the defensive zone.

And what do you know, he was middle of the pack in terms of team Corsi that night, which like I keep saying reflects the finer parts of the game. If your support/positioning are good, your Corsi numbers will look better.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm sure this was a back-handed comment, but this was based solely off watching him.

He was much better at supporting his teammates and it led to more time in the offensive zone. Rather than flying into the zone and being the first guy in with no support, he was entering the zone with his teammates and spending time there. He was better at being in the right position which helps to sustain time in the offensive zone and get out of the defensive zone.

And what do you know, he was middle of the pack in terms of team Corsi that night, which like I keep saying reflects the finer parts of the game. If your support/positioning are good, your Corsi numbers will look better.
Could reflect other things as well. Like we led for much of the game vs Philly, while trailed for nearly all of it vs LA.

I also think he was looking for breakouts vs Kings, just could not hook up. I don't think there was a conscious effort to slow the game down.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Could reflect other things as well. Like we led for much of the game vs Philly, while trailed for nearly all of it vs LA.

I also think he was looking for breakouts vs Kings, just could not hook up. I don't think there was a conscious effort to slow the game down.

I was looking at his numbers relative to the team. In the Flyers game he was the worst forward at -18 with his linemates being -17 and the next forward being -9. In this game, I believe he was +2 or +3 right in the middle of the forward group.

I agree, but I think he was much more methodical on Tuesday rather than reckless during the Philly game, especially once he got into the offensive zone. In the majority of the games, he is going to need to play like he did on Tuesday. That's where I'm looking at for his improvement.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Take out the lite part and I agree.

Kreider age 21 season, 23 GP, 1G, 3P, 19 Shots

Wood age 21 season, 30 GP, 7G, 11P, 53 shots

Wood still has a long way to go to reach Chris Kreider.

People need to understand that you can't simply project out the first 30 games of someone career and assume consistent growth thereafter. That's not the way prospect development works.

Some players start off slow and get better. Some are great out of the gate and stay great. Others regress.

Who knows what will happen with Wood, but best to temper expectations so you don't flip out if he only scores 10 goals next season.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

People need to understand that you can't simply project out the first 30 games of someone career and assume consistent growth thereafter. That's not the way prospect development works.

Some players start off slow and get better. Some are great out of the gate and stay great. Others regress.

Who knows what will happen with Wood, but best to temper expectations so you don't flip out if he only scores 10 goals next season.

The weirdest thing about Kreider was that lost 2012-13 season where he was terrible for most of the year in the AHL and all of the year in NHL. Maybe he just assumed he was going to win the Calder off what he did in the playoffs the year before and didn't put in the work in the off-season. It's one of the strangest pro seasons I can remember. So yeah, I'm not really a fan of these one to one comparisons.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey

Andrew Gross is the one I heard the Kreider comparison from first. They seem to play the same way.

They put up similar numbers in their 20 year old college year, as well.

Kreider 11-12, 44 GP, 23G, 45P

Wood 15-16, 37 GP, 10G, 35P

Both for BC, too.

Obviously we don't know what comes next, but Wood's play so far seems to be matching up.

As for regression, I almost expect that from Devils rookies these days. I stay optimistic, but it'd be nice for one of these strong early showings to turn into a real player for us.

Last edited:

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Andrew Gross is the one I heard the Kreider comparison from first. They seem to play the same way.

They put up similar numbers in their 20 year old college year, as well.

Kreider 11-12, 44 GP, 23G, 45P

Wood 15-16, 37 GP, 10G, 35P

Both for BC, too.

Obviously we don't know what comes next, but Wood's play so far seems to be matching up.

As for regression, I almost expect that from Devils rookies these days. I stay optimistic, but it'd be nice for one of these strong early showings to turn into a real player for us.

There are definitely a lot of similarities. I think of Kreider as Wood's upside. It would be great if he could hit it.

I've made these type of probabilistic ranges with Santini before (Orpik/Scuderi/Petrecki), but here we go with Wood:

Chris Kreider: 25%
Jason Chimera: 45%
Chad Kilger: 20%
Kyle Beach: 10%

The percentages are somewhat arbitrary, but that's how I view Wood as far as likeliehood of his career progression.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Hence the "lite" part of my description. I don't think Miles can ever be as good as Kreider. Kreider plays a much more polished game and has much better hockey sense. But I think Miles can have a similar impact on a game that Kreider does.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'd stay away from making any predictions of Wood. The body of work is just too small, perhaps incomplete is a better word.

To date, his largest body of work is 60 prep school games.

Then you have 37 NCAA games and 31 NHL games. Oh and let's not forget 14 AHL games.

My opinion, it is virtually impossible to tell where he is in his development curve. He's never played any place long enough to show progression other than high school and that is as good as no information at all. Wood could very well be pretty close to all he'll ever be right now(add some refinement through experience) or Wood might have a few more levels to reach. It is completely unknown mainly because there is so little history.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
There are definitely a lot of similarities. I think of Kreider as Wood's upside. It would be great if he could hit it.

I've made these type of probabilistic ranges with Santini before (Orpik/Scuderi/Petrecki), but here we go with Wood:

Chris Kreider: 25%
Jason Chimera: 45%
Chad Kilger: 20%
Kyle Beach: 10%

The percentages are somewhat arbitrary, but that's how I view Wood as far as likeliehood of his career progression.

Wood's ceiling is higher than Kreider.

Blake Wheeler 15%
Chris Kreider 35%
Jason Chimera 30%
Fourth line 20%

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Kreider was also a USHS product. Looks like he played 2 years at a prep school, but not post graduate. Played 2 of regular hs as well(I think). Was pretty dominant from his soph year on.

Miles did not play HS at all until his sr year, and didn't really make his mark until his post sr season.

Kreider looks to be a late bloomer compared to most hockey prospects. Wood looks like he might be one of the latest bloomers in the league today.

Last edited:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
At age 25 Kreider is on pace for 30 goals and 60 points.

The intimation here being what?

Personally, I'm not so sure Wood has that kind of upside either, if that's what you're getting at. Kreider seems to have better puck skills than Wood. One thing Wood has over him though, is his drive. He's always engaged.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
John LeClair 10%
Kevin Stevens 25%
Claude Lemieux 22%
Randy McKay 21%
Turner Stevenson 24%

Disclaimer: my highly scientific methodology is just their jeresey number with a percent sign after it

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The intimation here being what?

Personally, I'm not so sure Wood has that kind of upside either, if that's what you're getting at. Kreider seems to have better puck skills than Wood. One thing Wood has over him though, is his drive. He's always engaged.

The intimation being thinking Wood has a higher ceiling then Kreider is not realistic.

I'm very bullish on Wood, I think given his background, there is tons of room for growth, but I'm not crazy enough to expect more then 30-60.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Anyone remember Mattias Tedenby? Couldn't find a more divergent style from Wood, but everyone was convinced we had the next Sergei Samsonov after his rookie season.

The rest of the NHL adjusts. It's up to the young player to continue growing.

The same people who think Wood has a ceiling higher than Kreider are the same ones who will throw him under the bus if he has a sophomore slump.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
His physical tools + his motor essentially guarantee he'll be a 4th liner. If he becomes a 20-20 guy that's a massive win for a 4th round pick.

Tedenby's only shot of being on the team was in a top 6 role given how one dimensional and small he was. He was the definition of boom or bust.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
My point is really just that the way Wood plays the game reminds me of the way Kreider plays the game. Big, fast power forwards that aren't afraid to drop the gloves.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tedenby's biggest problem was that he was supposed to be an offensive player and he didn't score enough points after the 10-11 season.

The amount of points he had in his final 60 something games in the NHL, actually rivals the likes of Stephen Gionta and maybe even Sergey Kalinin.

Everyone said his defense was the problem, which wasn't incorrect, it just wasn't the reason he busted. If he was a good defensive player like his buddy Josefson, he might have survived a few more years in the league, but he wasn't. He was supposed to be an offensive player and he scored 8 points and 2 goals in his final 62 games in the league and 5 total points and 2 goals in his final 54 games in the league. Putrid for a player that was supposed to be good an offensive player, absolutely putrid. If he wasn't a first round pick and hadn't shown such a scoring touch in his rookie year, we would have given up on him faster than we gave up on Pierre Dagenais. He's barely a 0.5 PPG player in Sweden the last 3 years.

Wood can probably do other things eventually. His IQ is better than Tedenby's although that doesn't necessarily say much. He doesn't make the outrageous gaffes Tedenby made, although he may spend more time hemmed in his end so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad