OT: Milano's vs Gabriel's

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
For me if I want to go cheap I usually go pizza pizza and get the deal with 3 pops. Pepperoni, Green olives, crumbled bacon, Bruscetta, and italian seasoning, well done.

10 dollars more and I go Gabriel's.

If you never have tried Toppers you should. You will know what cheap pizza tastes like.

Pizza pizza is the MacDonald's of hamburgers.

When I was a kid it seemed like everytime your ordered a pizza it had a ball of dough in the middle.

I have gotten toppers many times, and though cheap tasting, not nearly as bad as pizza pizza or little ceasars.

Toppers has free garlic butter crust. That is actually good.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Which location?

That sounds like the person managing your local franchise is a total a-hole. We were always looked after at the Fallow field location. Funny how some places don't think how staff attitude affects sales. It's like they're totally oblivious.

you're right, I am sure its something like that. it was the Alta Vista location

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I have gotten toppers many times, and though cheap tasting, not nearly as bad as pizza pizza or little ceasars.

Toppers has free garlic butter crust. That is actually good.

Toppers makes a great hawaiian. With the garlic butter crust, it is quite the treat.

Willy's is my personal favourite. Or Moe's (which is run by the same folks and replaced the Willy's that burned down on McEwen Ave.)

But I also am a fan of Pizza Hut so what do I know :sarcasm:

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Milanos/Gabriel are dollar store quality pizzas compared to BP.

its ok tho, some people have better tastebuds and expectations of quality than others.:p::p:

Most places are dollar store quality "pizza".

BP is probably the only one that can actually be considered pizza in this city. I had it once but I'm not sure if I asked for thin crust, light cheese and well done so I don't know if their regular serving is any good.

I kept hearing how Gabriel's was so good and I ended up trying it a couple of weeks ago. It was disgusting. I know everyone has different tastes but how people can even call that pizza is beyond me ( Milanos too for that matter). It's actually offensive that it can be considered pizza. It's basically bread with waaaaaaaay too much cheese on it. I feel like I'm eating plastic. The sauce is awful as well.

I just make my own. It's a lot of work though.

There hasn't been good pizza in this city since Calabria and La Pergola shut down. I'm actually glad this thread is up. Does anybody know of a place that has pizza similar to Calabria or La Pergola's, in this city?

Boggletrax

Oct 5, 2008
I'm honestly shocked nobody has mentioned Carlo's pizza on Harmer. Been around forever, incredible 'za. Play ODR at Fisher then pick up a pie. Just don't look to closely at the grime or the people making your pie. And yes it's expensive, but there is a 10% off on pickup deal, and then you save the delivery tip, so it's not bad on pickup. Benici pizza on Cobden at Iris (where the Shifa shooting was) is also very good.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
If i had to pick one, i would go Milano's....Gabe's never sits well in my stomach.

Best in Ottawa for me is Louie's on Macarthur and San Marino's in Bhaven in a dead heat...Original Colonade's is very close as well.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

BP is probably the only one that can actually be considered pizza in this city. I had it once but I'm not sure if I asked for thin crust, light cheese and well done so I don't know if their regular serving is any good.

I kept hearing how Gabriel's was so good and I ended up trying it a couple of weeks ago. It was disgusting. I know everyone has different tastes but how people can even call that pizza is beyond me ( Milanos too for that matter). It's actually offensive that it can be considered pizza. It's basically bread with waaaaaaaay too much cheese on it. I feel like I'm eating plastic. The sauce is awful as well.

There hasn't been good pizza in this city since Calabria and La Pergola shut down. I'm actually glad this thread is up. Does anybody know of a place that has pizza similar to Calabria or La Pergola's, in this city?

See in your last paragraph you demonstrate a pretty high standard in pizza. (To answer your question. No. Roberto's on Preston fratellis are good Italian pizza places. As for other wood burning kind of pizza I recommend Tennessee Williams. Very much make "Pies" very different taste but I am a huge fan)

But then in your first paragraph you say you enjoy Boston pizza. Or at least backed it as legitimate pizza. I don't know what to say.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
See in your last paragraph you demonstrate a pretty high standard in pizza. (To answer your question. No. Roberto's on Preston fratellis are good Italian pizza places. As for other wood burning kind of pizza I recommend Tennessee Williams. Very much make "Pies" very different taste but I am a huge fan)

But then in your first paragraph you say you enjoy Boston pizza. Or at least backed it as legitimate pizza. I don't know what to say.

Yes, I too was confused at the post. It was the equivalent of saying you only drink fancy pants hoppy micro brews, but really enjoy Budweiser and the rest is garbage.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Yes, I too was confused at the post. It was the equivalent of saying you only drink fancy pants hoppy micro brews, but really enjoy Budweiser and the rest is garbage.

I only drink the finest Toraja coffee, sourced at the plantation and ensured as fair trade.

Oh, and I also drink Folgiers Decaf Instant Crystals. Everything else can kick rocks.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
house-of-georgie.jpg

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
I'm honestly shocked nobody has mentioned Carlo's pizza on Harmer. Been around forever, incredible 'za. Play ODR at Fisher then pick up a pie. Just don't look to closely at the grime or the people making your pie.

OMG, I used to order from there and play at that ODR decades ago! :yo:

I believe Carlo used to be at Holland & Wellington at the time, and it used to be Mike’s Convenient store, where their at now!

Yes, I am that old, and can still skate circles around you!!!!!! :laugh:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013

This guy knows Pizza.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Yeah, I also don't like too much cheese on my pizza, but it seems that it's the majority's taste (Gabriel's, Colonade, etc.) and so it's hard to avoid. I do like thick crust, so I'm not a total snob either. Pizza Hut works for me.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The best Pizza I have ever had in my life was in Gabon, Africa. Seafood pizza or Merguez pizza. They mix ementhal with mozzarella, wood burning oven, and fresh seafood from the ocean. A medium pizza cost 4 Euro's.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013

I know, I was surprised too. Like I stated, I think I modified it or ordered some sort of special type because it was very edible. It was definitely better than Gabriel's or Milano's, which are not edible, IMO.

BTW, the Boston Pizza I ate at was in Toronto but I assumed they are all the same.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I have family in NY and they hate Canadian Pizza.

Well it's probably really different. Many takeout places here are Lebanese pizza places. Not Italian or Greek. Very very different.

Gabriel's is Lebanese pizza. As well as Milano's I'm pretty sure.

New Yorkshire pizzerias are probably mostly Italian. They also eat the pizza with their hands. Half the pizza places here the pizza can't be eaten by end its too greasy too sloppy. At least it is right out of the oven.

I remember in Boston they said if you can't fold your pizza slice in your hand it wasn't made right.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Fiazza makes a pretty good dairy free veg pizza with daiya and bread and sons makes a damn good cheese free pesto pizza and a roasted veggie pizza. yeah they taste different than a milanos or gabriels but you can eat it and feel good after. (in case anyone's looking for an alternative snack)

12558672_963041893733649_1110575359_n.jpg

Stassino

Oct 15, 2007
Ottawa, On
Which location?

That sounds like the person managing your local franchise is a total a-hole. We were always looked after at the Fallow field location. Funny how some places don't think how staff attitude affects sales. It's like they're totally oblivious.

Service only goes so far...

Fallowfield location continuously under cooks the cheese.. Your pizza is NOT supposed to be white...

Made my family sick twice, and many other people I know.. I should have to say "Cheese well done please".. To get the cheese to just simply actually be cooked..

Milano's kills Gabriels, but I don't really like either.. I'm a foodie and picky..

Stassino

Oct 15, 2007
Ottawa, On
Yeah, I also don't like too much cheese on my pizza, but it seems that it's the majority's taste (Gabriel's, Colonade, etc.) and so it's hard to avoid. I do like thick crust, so I'm not a total snob either. Pizza Hut works for me.

Colonade Pizza does NOT put on too much cheese.. Not even close... You've either had a bad pizza, or never had their pizza.. They are the only place where my friends from NYC, Tdot, Chicago, etc are always saying it's the best pizza they've had... They also actually cook their pizza..

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
One time I lived on merivale there was a pizza place almost everywhere in every direction.

Who wins between Gabriel's and milano's ?

Colonnade pizza hands down.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
I have an odd suggestion for pizza

Fathers and Sons was one the best ive had in ottawa. it doesnt seem like a place that would have good food since its surrounded by university campus and its a pub but their pizza was the bomb, the bartender there told us it was Harpers favorite spot for pizza

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I have an odd suggestion for pizza

Fathers and Sons was one the best ive had in ottawa. it doesnt seem like a place that would have good food since its surrounded by university campus and its a pub but their pizza was the bomb, the bartender there told us it was Harpers favorite spot for pizza

Place is pretty legit in general.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad