Mikko Rantanen Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The Nashville broadcast was praising Mikko a ton last night. Calling him one of the most underrated players in the league, and one of the main reason MacKinnon turned into a superstar. Glad at least someone outside of the Avalanche sphere is catching on.
Glad to hear. Mikko played one of his worst games in recent memory against Nashville too.

Brian Boucher was talking about Mikko a lot last week. He said when he talks to players around the league about Mackinnon they quickly bring up Mikko on their own. Called him a force and said everyone talks about how hard he is to play against.

Reactions: klozge

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So he's at 77 points after this game.

Dammit I was high on him pre draft, thought he was faster& bigger Eriksson but he's producing more than I could have dream of.

If he has another year like this he's a 10M guy, after this year 7-8M sounds like a dream for 8 years.

Glad to hear. Mikko played one of his worst games in recent memory against Nashville too.

Brian Boucher was talking about Mikko a lot last week. He said when he talks to players around the league about Mackinnon they quickly bring up Mikko on their own. Called him a force and said everyone talks about how hard he is to play against.

I remember reading about that when he was in the AHL, everyone seemed to respect how difficult he was to play against.

Reactions: cgf

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I never expected him to score this many points. Might be a career year for him, pointwise. He will be a better player in the future, overall.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
I never expected him to score this many points. Might be a career year for him, pointwise. He will be a better player in the future, overall.
Nah. If that line stays healthy and together I don't see any reason why Rants can't do even better next season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So he's at 77 points after this game.

Dammit I was high on him pre draft, thought he was faster& bigger Eriksson but he's producing more than I could have dream of.

If he has another year like this he's a 10M guy, after this year 7-8M sounds like a dream for 8 years.

I remember reading about that when he was in the AHL, everyone seemed to respect how difficult he was to play against.

Yeah, he's really becoming that Voracek/Wheeler we hoped he'd become. And that's why I hope they lock him in for 7-8per this summer rather than wait for him to have another year like this and start wondering why he shouldn't get more than Draisaitl/Perry.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah, he's really becoming that Voracek/Wheeler we hoped he'd become. And that's why I hope they lock him in for 7-8per this summer rather than wait for him to have another year like this and start wondering why he shouldn't get more than Draisaitl/Perry.

Drai's cap hit is really based on 1 season of elite production where he spent lot of time with McDavid(Rants with Mack) and Rants has already tied him for career high.

If you give him another chance to get 70+ it will get expensive.

I remember having an argument with a Bruins fan who said it would be the worst decision in history if the Bruins picked Rantanen in 2015 :laugh:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Drai's cap hit is really based on 1 season of elite production where he spent lot of time with McDavid(Rants with Mack) and Rants has already tied him for career high.

If you give him another chance to get 70+ it will get expensive.

I remember having an argument with a Bruins fan who said it would be the worst decision in history if the Bruins picked Rantanen in 2015 :laugh:

Eh, Leon's contract was also done in the shadow of the McDavid contract...plus he's a beastly Center even without McDavid. Mikko's contract on the otherhand will (unfairly) get compared to MacK's; which is why I pray the team can lock him down for a figure starting with a 7 & not an 8. And that won't be possible if we let him have another year of huge #s.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Eh, Leon's contract was also done in the shadow of the McDavid contract...plus he's a beastly Center even without McDavid. Mikko's contract on the otherhand will (unfairly) get compared to MacK's; which is why I pray the team can lock him down for a figure starting with a 7 & not an 8. And that won't be possible if we let him have another year of huge #s.
That is load of crap. Mikko's contract won't be compared to Mac's by any reasonable humanbeing. Mac did his contract after 53 point season. Even last year he was running around the ring like a headless chicken as Mikko was the better player in many many games. We all remember that. Mikko will probably end up with 90 points or so end of the season. That's very different than 53 points. It's only on Mac that he really broke out after his extension. Not Mikko's fault.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That is load of crap. Mikko's contract won't be compared to Mac's by any reasonable humanbeing. Mac did his contract after 53 point season. Even last year he was running around the ring like a headless chicken as Mikko was the better player in many many games. We all remember that. Mikko will probably end up with 90 points or so end of the season. That's very different than 53 points. It's only on Mac that he really broke out after his extension. Not Mikko's fault.

Casual fans are not reasonable human-beings *shrug*

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Obviously :D

But yeah gonna be interesting. My guess is 7.5mil/8years.

You optimist. That's what I'm hoping for :laugh:

Mikko & Barrie are going to have to pick up the tab any time they go out with MacK cause I can't see either one deserving any less than MacK is being paid.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He's potentially going to hit 90 points. In just his 2nd year in the league. That's some seriously elite company he's joining if/when he does it.

Get him signed asap. Anywhere between 6.5M and 8M would be a great deal because absolutely no doubt if he goes out and puts up another 80-90 point season next year, the guy can ask for 9-10M and get it.

Reactions: McMetal and cgf

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

The sample size for that was small though, and Drai contract still has been signed and it raised the bar for these elite kids coming off from ELC's.

The bad thing for Avs is that contract was done, the good thing is Mack's contract and like with the other Finns I don't get the feeling Rants wants the absolute max amount of money, he'll be reasonable.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Ya I fully expect a 6-8 year, 7-8 mil contract. Anything under that would be a huuuge steal.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think the Draisaitl deal raised the bar for elite young Centers...

I dont think it's raised that bar nearly as much for elite young wingers.

Case in point, David Pastrnak and his recent deal, signed after the Draisaitl contract. He's only making 6.6M despite having a 75 point season last year as well.

Rantanen will get a little more because he's got better numbers, and the cap is likely to be almost 10% higher then it was when Pasta signed his deal.

7.25M seems like the perfect number for Rants IMO.

Reactions: Bender

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
The sample size for that was small though, and Drai contract still has been signed and it raised the bar for these elite kids coming off from ELC's.

The bad thing for Avs is that contract was done, the good thing is Mack's contract and like with the other Finns I don't get the feeling Rants wants the absolute max amount of money, he'll be reasonable.
This. Mikko is very level headed humble finnish guy. I'm sure he doesn't want to get as much as possible. He wants a contact that he is comfortable with. So don't be surprised if the deal starts with six.

Reactions: Bender

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This. Mikko is very level headed humble finnish guy. I'm sure he doesn't want to get as much as possible. He wants a contact that he is comfortable with. So don't be surprised if the deal starts with six.

If we are going with 8 year term 6.x is going to be really, really, really difficult, even with modest Finnish mindset. None of the longterm guys had had a season like Mikko has when they signed those contract, no one got even close.

Pasta hit 70 and signed a 6x6.6 contract(at the end of his ELC). Mikko is already at 77 and has another year of ELC left.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Hopefully they can get a deal done that'll be good for both sides. If he starts looking for Draisaitl money then I wouldn't be opposed to just playing it out and waiting until next year. Ideally you don't want to play hard ball with one of your best players but make him do it again before making him a top 10 paid player.

Reactions: Iceberg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad