Mikko Rantanen Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I didn't know Mikko as well when he was drafted, there wasn't an obvious elite skill. But it took me a matter of weeks to see how special he was in the AHL, I was on that train early. After all those comments about how he didn't produce in his short stint in the NHL and some people even still now don't think he's special.

I think that was the case with a lot of people. I didn't have a strong take on him for those reasons either. Not many people on this side of the pond watch Finnish league games closely. With Mikko, you really just have to watch him to see his high level hockey IQ, and that he has elite talent as well, but it's hidden a bit behind his playing style, and size. You don't see it right away.

After you've watched him closely, all those things come to the surface, and you also see that he's a very high character player, that's more competitive than you think, and a really hard worker with good leadership skills. Really well balanced skills too. He started as an outstanding playmaker, and has since developed a lethal one timer.

He's pretty close to the total package for today's NHL. Only thing he's missing is a physical game, and as we've seen this year, he's got a bit of that in his game too when he gets mad. That's evidence of his highly competitive nature. It will serve him and the team well in the playoffs one day.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Mikko’s “laid back” approach/play style(whatever you wanna call it) makes him not very noticeable out there; in terms of being flashy. But he’s so smart, and while I’d say he probably doesn’t have any elite skills(maybe his 1T), he’s so good at every facet of the game that he’s easy to play with and I think he’s could mesh with just about any player. And I feel like that’s an underrated part of his game, like Duchene had so much raw talent but seemed to be impossible to play with, which is an issue if that’s going to be you’re franchise/core player.

Reactions: Ippenator

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
tumblr_n91kkbtL4D1trbh6do1_400.gif

Reactions: Pokecheque

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
I went through the draft threads from 2015 a few days ago, it was kinda interesting. Most of our board wanted Lawson Crouse, including some of our most prolific prospect followers. Lots of people wanted a Dman, especially Provorov, and there were a handful of people that absolutely did NOT want anything to do with Barzal. Mikko had some hype, but not a ton. I think we can say it worked out for us.
Remember the year after when we were desperately looking for a potential #1 D and Montreal took Sergachev right before us?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah, but I mean I'm pretty damn happy having Mikko + Jost and the D prospects/young D that we do.
Yeah, if we had Sergachev, we probably wouldn't have targeted a young defenseman in the Duchene trade, and Girard would be in Ottawa. Things worked out.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
No we should talk about how bad Sergachev is. :sarcasm:

No, no, that's not how you do it. You only bring up the prospects you got a hit on. You never bring up your misses.

Speaking of which, I wonder how long Chychrun can get by without putting up numbers?

Last edited:

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
It's scary. He's on pace for the best statistical season an Avs player has had since Sakic in 05/06 and he's the supporting player on the line.

Reactions: cgf

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Man, it's going to really suck having TWO legit star forwards on this team for the next 6+ years. :sarcasm:

Reactions: cgf

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
The Nashville broadcast was praising Mikko a ton last night. Calling him one of the most underrated players in the league, and one of the main reason MacKinnon turned into a superstar. Glad at least someone outside of the Avalanche sphere is catching on.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I am one whom was about two years ago seriously doubting if Rantanen would ever be anything else than a good 3rd liner in the NHL. To me his lack of intensity and so called killer instinct were the things that made me seriously doubt if he would ever become a truly great offensive player.

Oh how wrong I was! And I’m glad to eat my crow about him too. I have grown to love his play really, even though his intensity could even nowadays be maybe a tad greater, but for sure he has become clearly better with it already. But maybe it is still the thing that makes some people underrate him even at the moment?

He really doesn’t show the kind of intensity and in your face play that some young players like Matthews, Tkachuk, Barzal or Aho are showing. But he after all doesn’t even have to, as he is really smart and he also uses his size with his great skill very well indeed.

I have nothing bad to really say about Rantanen and I’m very happy that I was so wrong about him. Definitely rooting for him and the Avs to get to the playoffs and have a great rest of the season!

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
He definitely has another gear that he sometimes uses. Once in a while I see him skate hard, and I actually forget he can. I'm not saying the guy isn't always trying, but when he is going all-out, he's a different level of player. If he can limit the times where he's falling around, and maybe floating too much, then he's going to be a serious player in this league for the next decade. I'm actually worried about what we are going to have to pay him lol it's a good problem to have, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: