Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I know I'm jumping the gun but he needs a chance. Even if he gets the nightly healthy scratch, it's not as if we will not have SOME kind of injury to a defenseman or someone catches a nuclear flu virus and there's no way he's playing. Sergachev can play in on injury nights and sheltered minutes on others and I'll be happy with it. The fact that we even got him at all is enormous. If there ever was an "A" prospect in our pipeline he is it.

Take the risk. 38 games at 10-12 minutes a night is going to do more for his development than 20 minutes a night on Windsor in a league he has outgrown.

Wasn't Drouin an "A" prospect?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Wasn't Drouin an "A" prospect?

I would have considered him to be one. But in the end Sergachev was fair return for Drouin. I was upset that we traded him but to get a player like Sergachev in return is not exactly a common opportunity. Whether or not he is the best defensive prospect today is debatable but he was our top prospect once we added him. The right decision was made by Montreal for him to play another season in the OHL and now that it's over I think it's pertinent we be proactive in his development i.e he plays a shift with Hedman once a game and gets PP time

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Mikhail-Sergachev-training-camp-standard.jpg

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
I was asking myself the same question. Can someone gives us a idea?

For the most part? Good. NHL ready? Yes. Will he make the team? 60/40 or 40/60, honestly it's tough to tell because if we do bring him on he's going to be sharing ice time. If he stays with us long-term, that's going to be rather big. It'll give us 2 official 'shut down' lines on D.

DesmondDekker

Let's diddly go !
Sep 11, 2006
Canada
For the most part? Good. NHL ready? Yes. Will he make the team? 60/40 or 40/60, honestly it's tough to tell because if we do bring him on he's going to be sharing ice time. If he stays with us long-term, that's going to be rather big. It'll give us 2 official 'shut down' lines on D.

What !? Since when is Sergachev a shut down defenseman !?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Shutdown meaning we have more than 1 d-line that can actually be reliable.

If Stralman's on the second pair, you have to think it'll be reliable so long as his partner is even partway competent.

Reactions: DaBolts

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Habs fan coming in peace. How was Sergachev in his first regular season game with Tampa?
One bad play where he was lazy against the forecheck and it caught up to him. Didn't expect the speed of the forechecker.

Other than that - really good. Has a good shot. Good on the breakout. Good defensively and played the body a bit. Had some great plays just separating guys from pucks. I liked what I saw.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
He is a beauty for sure. I have to admit that I don't like his number though.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
I feel like the kid is going to learn something new every single night and will be a very strong asset for us come playoffs.

If we notice the forecheck incident, he was breaking out again later in the game and made sure to haul ass.

Hope Cooper continues giving the kid chances. But I also feel like if we compare him to Drouin, Drouin was punished because he had a massive ego. From A-Z the kid was a bit full of himself.

Sergachev hasn't ever chirped at a coach or player in an interview (I know he's new, but still) nor has he said anything except "I'm thankful to be here and am learning tons" type stuff. If that translates to the practices and games, in other words if he's 'coachable', then he very well might progress similar to Johnson or Palat.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I feel like the kid is going to learn something new every single night and will be a very strong asset for us come playoffs.

If we notice the forecheck incident, he was breaking out again later in the game and made sure to haul ass.

Hope Cooper continues giving the kid chances. But I also feel like if we compare him to Drouin, Drouin was punished because he had a massive ego. From A-Z the kid was a bit full of himself.

Sergachev hasn't ever chirped at a coach or player in an interview (I know he's new, but still) nor has he said anything except "I'm thankful to be here and am learning tons" type stuff. If that translates to the practices and games, in other words if he's 'coachable', then he very well might progress similar to Johnson or Palat.

Uhh you clearly missed how he took his return to Jr's last season and his comments about if they were to send him back again this year, don't kid yourself he's got a huge ego as well.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Uhh you clearly missed how he took his return to Jr's last season and his comments about if they were to send him back again this year, don't kid yourself he's got a huge ego as well.
Yeah - he's a young player with an ego, but I don't think that's a bad thing necessarily as long as Coop doesn't jerk him around. And frankly - I don't think he is. Sergachev was 4th in ice time last night for D (and only a few seconds behind the guy who was third).

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah - he's a young player with an ego, but I don't think that's a bad thing necessarily as long as Coop doesn't jerk him around. And frankly - I don't think he is. Sergachev was 4th in ice time last night for D (and only a few seconds behind the guy who was third).

Agreed, I hated how he stuck it to rookies but let vets off the hook, at least now every gets let off the hook ;) On a serious note it's probably the biggest improvement of Cooper since he's been here, normally losing that puck to a forechecker like that puts you in the dog house. He's been good to Sergachev thus far and was overly favorable of Point last year - I think Cooper learned his lesson on that one I just don't like how it cost a 3rd overall pick for him to do it, like it costs us a season for him to pick out mistakes internet posters can spot out after a month.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I've been pleasantly surprised with his mean streak. I'm not used to seeing that look in our defensemen's eyes... he doesn't take crap from anyone, which is refreshing. He looks like he's a quick learner too, and as someone else noted you could actually see him self-correcting over the course of the game. He has a bright future for sure.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I've been pleasantly surprised with his mean streak. I'm not used to seeing that look in our defensemen's eyes... he doesn't take crap from anyone, which is refreshing. He looks like he's a quick learner too, and as someone else noted you could actually see him self-correcting over the course of the game. He has a bright future for sure.
It's like if Koekkoek had a brain.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
If you have some spare minutes...totally worth it to go over to the Habs board. Let's just say that if I was Drouin, I'd be starting to regret a few decisions about where to play hockey for the next 6 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad