Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
And that would make the AHL even more interesting to follow moreover. That rule doesn't make really sense from a sport perspective. Could there be some lobbying from the CHL ?
It is a CHL rule not an AHL rule. If you come from another league, like from Europe, you can play in the AHL at 19. The CHL blocks it because they don’t want to lose their marquee players to another league. It’s about the money… ticket sales overrides what is best for the player’s development. Unlikely to change.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm really impressed with the way he uses his body in the Dzone. He does a good job of using his body to create separation from a player with the puck, which has led to some solid defensive plays. It's kind of similar to how Stralman does it.

Also - I love his first pass. Last game I thought it was pretty awesome. It was kind of frustrating when KK was on the ice (especially in the third) - he kept throwing the puck up the boards and Pietrangelo is just too good at the point to let many of those get past him. Sergachev was looking for a stick most of the time (which is the right move with a fast team). I really think he fits with this team's identity really well.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Getting close to crunch time with that ELC kicking in. Still think it could go either way.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Even with his reduced minutes lately, my gut feeling is he's gonna stick around.

I'd lean that way, only because junior really doesn't do anything for him at this point. I wish I could say it's been his play and not the logistics of the situation that keep him up, but he'll have plenty of time to get going if he does stay.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Even with his reduced minutes lately, my gut feeling is he's gonna stick around.

Me too, Yzerman isn't the type to hold a player or the team back for the sake of an extra ELC year or draft pick. If it's in the better interest of the team he'll keep him up and it certainly points that way.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I kind of like what they are doing with Serge and KK right now. The fact is, any rookie is going to be prone to mistakes back there, but generally have really fresh legs, but the game wears on them. This gives them *important* minutes with a steady force in Stralman, and also gives them time to learn, while minimizing the mistakes. Cooper got this one right platooning the two, especially considering the flexibility it gives us at F.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Yep yep and yep. Serg has looked very nice and Coop is doing a good job of managing him and KK.

I think he stays.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
Learning curves of defenseman and forwards are so much different. Many forwards hit their scoring peak before the age of 25 whereas most defenseman don't become good or elite until after 25 because of the 300 games of experience they will need to achieve that excellence. Sending Sergachev back to Juniors will only delay his development in achieving greatness.

The only reasons to send an elite 19 year old prospect back to juniors are due to injury, physical maturation issues or emotional maturation reasons (Drouin). Having a physically mature 19 year old dominate against 16 and 17 year olds will provide marginal development gains. Being able to play Serg 8 to 10 mins a game at the NHL level is ideal especially on a winning team.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
It probably comes to whether they think he will progress enough by the end of the season to really make it worth it. I think he will. He's right on the cusp.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
2 apples tonight. 4 assists so far, and I think he's looking good defensively and stellar on the breakout. If Coop/Bowness do this right, he could be a huge asset ~playoff/next season.

I don't think you can send him back to Junior now, either. KK isn't good, Sustr is a tire fire.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
2 apples tonight. 4 assists so far, and I think he's looking good defensively and stellar on the breakout. If Coop/Bowness do this right, he could be a huge asset ~playoff/next season.

I don't think you can send him back to Junior now, either. KK isn't good, Sustr is a tire fire.
I agree. He's already an asset on the PP. Looks confident. Can't wait to see him get that first goal.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
He is looking better defensively tonight. Getting a hang of it. Don't expect perfection - even a defensive legend that is Ivan Provorov had a horrible start to his rookie season in Philly. I don't see the pure defensive talent in Sergachev that Provy has, but what I see is amazing explosiveness. I see a young Subban.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He is looking better defensively tonight. Getting a hang of it. Don't expect perfection - even a defensive legend that is Ivan Provorov had a horrible start to his rookie season in Philly. I don't see the pure defensive talent in Sergachev that Provy has, but what I see is amazing explosiveness. I see a young Subban.

I don't see Subban at all.... actually I don't much explosiveness in Serg, one of the things I wished he did more was take and handle the puck and be more dynamic. His style is very non-chalant.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
I don't see Subban at all.... actually I don't much explosiveness in Serg, one of the things I wished he did more was take and handle the puck and be more dynamic. His style is very non-chalant.
He may appear nonchalant because he's still a bit lost - he's slowing things down for himself mentally, trying to avoid turnover and dumb mistakes. He was dynamic, explosive and sometimes downright scary in Windsor. I expect more of the same in the NHL in 2-3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad