Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I'm still shocked but at the very least we got rid of something (albeit something good) that was perceived as a problem by Stevie and we got help on defense which we needed and also sorted out potential protection and cap issues.

Sergachev might be a bit too unproven for us really to make this trade but I think he'll be a good one, not sure how good though and if his game of walking the blueline and cutting down the middle in the offensive zone will translate.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
DCe2lSnXoAAkYi6.jpg

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
Very excited about him Looks like he will be a a lot better PP QB than Hedman.Holy Guacamole at our power play in a year or two. Serg at point kuch + Stammer on the circles good luck

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Very excited about him Looks like he will be a a lot better PP QB than Hedman.Holy Guacamole at our power play in a year or two. Serg at point kuch + Stammer on the circles good luck

Hedman, by the numbers, was the best PP QB in the league last year. Not sure about Sergachev passing him anytime soon as Hedman is getting noticeably better every season. Having 2 guys who can play that role will help our PP a ton though, I agree.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Any reason his stats were so poor this tournament?

Wasn't paying much attention to him

I can think of a couple of reasons. Russia plays 11 - 7 so less minutes all around. Can't confirm but from watching it seems he played on third pairing. He also played on second PP not first who got most of the minutes. And last reason I can think of ... he was young for the U20 team. The tourney is dominated by players on last year of junior eligibility ... he still has one more year of U20 WJC eligibility and he is on the younger side of of his own year draft mates.

I don't expect him to make the team. He'll go back to Junior ... this is the year where he'll see first PP minutes and be on the first pairing for the WJC U20. We should see him dominate this year.

Key to note as well outside the WJC ... on his junior team he played both sides. Either Sean May or Sergachov played every defensive shift. They both played 30 minutes plus Sean May comes on ... Sergachov comes off...Sergachov comes on and Sean May comes off. They played both of them like this throughout the Calder ... he logged a TON of minutes.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I can think of a couple of reasons. Russia plays 11 - 7 so less minutes all around. Can't confirm but from watching it seems he played on third pairing. He also played on second PP not first who got most of the minutes. And last reason I can think of ... he was young for the U20 team. The tourney is dominated by players on last year of junior eligibility ... he still has one more year of U20 WJC eligibility and he is on the younger side of of his own year draft mates.

I don't expect him to make the team. He'll go back to Junior ... this is the year where he'll see first PP minutes and be on the first pairing for the WJC U20. We should see him dominate this year.

Key to note as well outside the WJC ... on his junior team he played both sides. Either Sean May or Sergachov played every defensive shift. They both played 30 minutes plus Sean May comes on ... Sergachov comes off...Sergachov comes on and Sean May comes off. They played both of them like this throughout the Calder ... he logged a TON of minutes.

That's what it looked like from the linked video. He didn't see the ice much

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
that was during the scandal i think of the doping stuff for russia

That was their 2016 U-18 team.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/hockey/li...ightning-defenseman-mikhail-sergachev/2327632
Sergachev was on a makeshift Russian team at the Under-18 world tournament in 2016 after much of the original team was replaced due to a doping scandal. Sergachev and other under-17s took their place in the tournament at Grand Forks, N.D. Sergachev was one of a few invited from the Canadian Hockey League.

Though Sergachev was one of the oldest Russians, and at the time a projected top-10 draft pick, he wasn't named captain. But he gladly deferred to the Under-17 captain, Klim Kostin.

Button said, "(Sergachev) told me, 'You know, he knows all these younger players better than I do. I just want to support him. My country needs me. I need to be there for them to help the young guys.'

"That's a pretty selfless guy. He gets it."
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/prospect-interest-411-mikhail-sergachev/
Here’s what one scout, who advocates for Sergachev, told Sportsnet’s Gare Joyce at the NHL’s Scouting Combine in early June:

“...He could have opted out of the U18s (after most of the Russian team was suspended for PED use). He told us that he wanted to go and play with underages at the tournament because he’d been an underager the year before and felt like he had a duty to help the Russian kids. ‘My country was always there for me, so I’m there for my country,’ he told us. Which you have to respect.â€

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
team mates call him micha or misha i guess

Many Russian names have diminutives that are for use by relatives and friends only e.g. Vladimir becomes Volodya, Viktor becomes Vika, Aleksandr becomes Sasha, Mikhail becomes Misha.

EDIT: Since you bring up Rexxar, LS, I think interestingly that there is a diminutive for bears that is similar. Masha? Perhaps geoo9 or kshadoo will help me remember.

zaratustra

May 25, 2010
Many Russian names have diminutives that are for use by relatives and friends only e.g. Vladimir becomes Volodya, Viktor becomes Vika, Aleksandr becomes Sasha, Mikhail becomes Misha.

EDIT: Since you bring up Rexxar, LS, I think interestingly that there is a diminutive for bears that is similar. Masha? Perhaps geoo9 or kshadoo will help me remember.

Vika is female name(Viktoria). Viktor-Vitya

Spits1963

Dec 17, 2014
This is a must watch/read for all Bolts fans. I have seen Serg do these plays over and over again. He controls so much of the game because of the things he does. If he is able to bring this to the pro level Tampa will have a fantastic D/man for years to come. Misha had great success two seasons ago when the Spits acquired Brendan Lemieux. On the power play Serg would feed him for one timers in the same spot Stammer likes to hammer the puck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->