Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I'm thinking he stays up. Kids providing some solid offence and still getting sheltered minutes from time to time and playing with our vets. He seems to be getting better and better every game.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
If Tampa sends this kid down they will be severely punished by the hockey gods. He's earned this gig fair and square - you don't rob him of an opportunity he worked so hard for. He's ready. 8 points in 9 games?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
If Tampa sends this kid down they will be severely punished by the hockey gods. He's earned this gig fair and square - you don't rob him of an opportunity he worked so hard for. He's ready. 8 points in 9 games?
Meh - not even PPG.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Really smart kid, you just have to know he was itching to do a rush like that for 8 games now but knowing the history with Cooper he knew that if he tried that and failed he would've been done. Shows he knows how to read the coach, guy knows Cooper loves that simple shit, and he hit the nail on the head with those types of plays for 8 games.

Reactions: geoo9

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It was pretty obvious he was here to stay after game 3 or 4 when they didn't scratch him to watch from upstairs and see the game from a different perspective. They kept him in the lineup letting him figure things out on his own and it has been working out great. He still has defensive lapses but all young defenders do. He's like the opposite of how Hedman was when he was his age, Hedman developed defense first then let the offense open up, Sergachev is all offense first right now.

I wanted the 2nd because it could've been a trade piece to get another forward for the playoffs, Neal or Perron type rental, but if Sergachev can keep scoring depth forward isn't as needed. With him we now have some defensive prospects who could be trade bait, I see all available except Foote and Cernak, we need RD going forward as the left side has Hedman and Sergachev for many years.

Reactions: Rschmitz

TheNorth86

Nov 15, 2016
It was pretty obvious he was here to stay after game 3 or 4 when they didn't scratch him to watch from upstairs and see the game from a different perspective. They kept him in the lineup letting him figure things out on his own and it has been working out great. He still has defensive lapses but all young defenders do. He's like the opposite of how Hedman was when he was his age, Hedman developed defense first then let the offense open up, Sergachev is all offense first right now.

I wanted the 2nd because it could've been a trade piece to get another forward for the playoffs, Neal or Perron type rental, but if Sergachev can keep scoring depth forward isn't as needed. With him we now have some defensive prospects who could be trade bait, I see all available except Foote and Cernak, we need RD going forward as the left side has Hedman and Sergachev for many years.

Our Top 4 for the next 5-8 years will be Hedman-Cernak, Sergachev-Foote.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I wouldn't warrant someone with no NHL experience a spot in the top 4, let alone top 2. Many things can go wrong with prospects no matter how good they look in AHL/Juniors.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Really smart kid, you just have to know he was itching to do a rush like that for 8 games now but knowing the history with Cooper he knew that if he tried that and failed he would've been done. Shows he knows how to read the coach, guy knows Cooper loves that simple ****, and he hit the nail on the head with those types of plays for 8 games.
Yeah his IQ is pretty impressive.

So I want to note something - you said he can look lacksadasical with the puck during a forecheck - and I agree (although I thought he made a really nice play tonight with Hagelin bearing down on him where he stepped out and made sure to get the puck far enough out of reach - so I think he's learning) - but I think part of that is a poise thing. Stralman has a similar "lazy" look when dealing with a forecheck.

I also love his description of his assist to Stralman. Was rushing the puck, tried to beat (was it Cole?) to the outside - saw it wasn't there and didn't try something that wasn't going to work - peeled back and kept his head up looking for the open man. Pitt's coverage on that goal notwithstanding, that's the statement of a man that's learning to adapt to the NHL.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Hopefully, so far the only guarantee is Hedman. The others look promising with Sergachev looking legit, still want to see a bit more defensively, but nothing is for sure. Foote started hot and has cooled a bit, still should be on the WJC team so we see him against top competition, Cernak has been really good so far but that doesn't mean he can make the jump up as easy as he did from the CHL to the AHL.

Our defense looks set up nicely going forward though. Coburn, Stralman, Girardi and Dotchin are all signed for 1 more year after this. Sergachev this year, next year Cernak should push Girardi and Dotchin for a spot while Masin or Koekkoek, if he keeps developing, should push for Coburns. Stralman probably gets resigned for at least another year so Foote gets a little more tike to develop and starts to get his callup so he can take over for Stralman eventually.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I know we are getting way ahead of ourselves but I would like to see Cernak paired with Sergachev in a couple years, they look like the perfect pair.

On the subject of defenseman, I hope Dotchin has put to rest most of his critics. He's been a major piece of the success from our D

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
? I'm talking about Cernak and Foote here. It's far from guaranteed that those guys will be in our top 4, which he said pretty confidently.
You seem to be missing the timespan given. We're not talking next year, lol.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
You seem to be missing the timespan given. We're not talking next year, lol.
I was well aware what he said. Maybe that is our projected top 4 in a few years but sometimes things just don't pan out. Koekkoek was also supposed to be in our top 4, Connolly was supposed to be a top 6 sniper etc.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I was well aware what he said. Maybe that is our projected top 4 in a few years but sometimes things just don't pan out. Koekkoek was also supposed to be in our top 4, Connolly was supposed to be a top 6 sniper etc.

No there's no way to know how it will shake out. I think the important thing is that we have a lot of options in our D pipeline and a great foundation of Hedman and possibly Sergachev that we can continue to build within. It will save a lot of money and will help the development of a lot of these guys. That competition will help our team become better too. Plus it's fun to talk about the future of the team.

Hedman Cernak
Sergachev Foote
Masin Dotchin
Hajek

We also have guys like Koekkoek, Spencer and Thomas who could break into that lineup too.

Reactions: JoVel

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Can probably afford to deal a defenseman or two at the trade deadline.

I imagine Cernak and Foote arrive to replace Stralman and Girardi in two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad