Prospect Info: Mikhail Sergachev Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Streit too

Timmins had nothing to do with Streit. The guy was 26 years old when we drafted him. He was drafted in the 9th round on the recommendation of the pro scouts who attended the worlds that year. It's laughable that you guys keep making this mistake. We could have simply signed Streit that year. But we used our very last pick in the draft on him to ensure his rights. Pro scout pick. Timmins nada to do with it.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Serge has good to great hockey sense. Hockey sense is being AWARE of what is going on on the ice, being able to adapt, adjust, see, feel the game, the flow of thw game. It can also mean having the anticipation to understand what is unfolding.

Serge has that and more. The plays he made against Chabot in the first game, the way he cuts the ice, the way he fakes shots to pass first...THAT is hockey sense. Defensive awareness, NOW THAT he needs to work on. But EVERY COACH AT ANY LEVEL will tell you that it's 100 times easier to teach defensive awareness to a kid that wants to learn than to teach offensive awareness.

He's ****ing 18 years old. He plays double duty on the PK, yet people question his 'hockey sense'????

I agree.

Have used this before

Isles looking to draft Mike Bossy. Guy tells Al Arbour Bossy can't play Defense, Arbour says that's fine, we'll teach him how to play defense.

Okay, a forward versus D man, but if Sergachev needs work on his defensive awareness and he is coachable ( sounds to me as if he is ) and not stupid ( nothing to point to that he is ), then this can be figured out.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
From what I've seen of him live he's more had consistency issues and development issues than a problem with his hockey iq. He sometimes hits a development wall and it takes some time for him to find his next gear. But he does develop it. If he didn't I'd be worried.

That's why I think he won't be NHL ready next year. He's doing a solid job learning his defensive game but he has some time to go. It's too bad he can't goto the AHL and Montreal isn't a rebuilding team so playing him in the NHL might mean a lot of scratches. I would prefer to see him play one more year in the OHL, maybe get traded to Erie, and put it all together in a massive year. Then he can go either to the AHL for lots of playing time or hit the NHL. But the idea of him being in the NHL next season, I have my worries.

If he's not playing in the NHL he should go to the KHL for 1 year. I think he doesn't have much to learn from the CHL and there's a danger he might be "bored" playing in it.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Serge has good to great hockey sense. Hockey sense is being AWARE of what is going on on the ice, being able to adapt, adjust, see, feel the game, the flow of thw game. It can also mean having the anticipation to understand what is unfolding.

Serge has that and more. The plays he made against Chabot in the first game, the way he cuts the ice, the way he fakes shots to pass first...THAT is hockey sense. Defensive awareness, NOW THAT he needs to work on. But EVERY COACH AT ANY LEVEL will tell you that it's 100 times easier to teach defensive awareness to a kid that wants to learn than to teach offensive awareness.

He's ****ing 18 years old. He plays double duty on the PK, yet people question his 'hockey sense'????

He still looks way too slow to make a play, very nonchalant and slow reacting in his own zone.

Locks

May 28, 2005
Listing 5 players who have yet to do anything in the NHL does not help your argument

I listed prospects with solid hockey sense to counter the poster's listing some prospects who did not make it to the NHL even though it had little to do with their hockey sense. Corey Lockey is a case in point - he had a great hockey sense but his size/skating combo prevented him from making it to the show.

And if Hudon won't make it, it obviously will not be because of his hockey sense which is one of his assets but for the reasons similar to Lockey's. Hudon does stand a better chance because he is a lot stronger than Lockey ever was.

And we can add DD and Ghetto to the list of players with at least a solid hockey sense.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I listed prospects with solid hockey sense to counter the poster's listing some prospects who did not make it to the NHL even though it had little to do with their hockey sense. Corey Lockey is a case in point - he had a great hockey sense but his size/skating combo prevented him from making it to the show.

And if Hudon won't make it, it obviously will not be because of his hockey sense which is one of his assets but for the reasons similar to Lockey's. Hudon does stand a better chance because he is a lot stronger than Lockey ever was.

And we can add DD and Ghetto to the list of players with at least a solid hockey sense.

No, we can't because DD was never drafted and Timmins had nothing to do with that at all.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
From what I've seen of him live he's more had consistency issues and development issues than a problem with his hockey iq. He sometimes hits a development wall and it takes some time for him to find his next gear. But he does develop it. If he didn't I'd be worried.

That's why I think he won't be NHL ready next year. He's doing a solid job learning his defensive game but he has some time to go. It's too bad he can't goto the AHL and Montreal isn't a rebuilding team so playing him in the NHL might mean a lot of scratches. I would prefer to see him play one more year in the OHL, maybe get traded to Erie, and put it all together in a massive year. Then he can go either to the AHL for lots of playing time or hit the NHL. But the idea of him being in the NHL next season, I have my worries.

erie is going to be weaker than windsor next year.

London or Mississauga will be good.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I was gonna say Mississauga but changed it at the last second.

I just know Windsor is headed towards new owners and a rebuild.

Windsor shpuld have villardi, Brown, Stanley, day, dipietro back. Now they might trade them at midseason to replace all the picks they gave up this year and rebuild.. but at first glance thats a good but not great team next year.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Timmins had nothing to do with Streit. The guy was 26 years old when we drafted him. He was drafted in the 9th round on the recommendation of the pro scouts who attended the worlds that year. It's laughable that you guys keep making this mistake. We could have simply signed Streit that year. But we used our very last pick in the draft on him to ensure his rights. Pro scout pick. Timmins nada to do with it.

Timmins was in charge f scouting. He gets credit when people under him recommend good players and he gets blame when people under him recommend busts. The buck stops with the head scout... and past that the buck stops with the gm

Locks

May 28, 2005
No, we can't because DD was never drafted and Timmins had nothing to do with that at all.

You are picking on a technicality which unlike in the Streit's case is irrelevant here. DD was signed out of the Q and that is always the responsibility of the amateur scouting department, just like signing the guys like Lindgren and McNiven.

Streit, on the other hand, was a seasoned pro and the Habs had to use the draft to acquire him due to the rules at the time. It was indeed was done on the recommendation of Gauthier if I remember correctly.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co

Wow, at least someone in this thread gets it.

Good post Dean.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Timmins was in charge f scouting. He gets credit when people under him recommend good players and he gets blame when people under him recommend busts. The buck stops with the head scout... and past that the buck stops with the gm

Do you understand the difference between amateur scouts and pro scouts ? Timmins has nothing to do with pro scouting. Nothing at all.

You are picking on a technicality which unlike in the Streit's case is irrelevant here. DD was signed out of the Q and that is always the responsibility of the amateur scouting department, just like signing the guys like Lindgren and McNiven.

Streit, on the other hand, was a seasoned pro and the Habs had to use the draft to acquire him due to the rules at the time. It was indeed was done on the recommendation of Gauthier if I remember correctly.

Yeah, except Carbonneau is the guy who pushed for DD 100%. If Timmins had liked him out of the Q, he could have used a 7th rounder on him at any time. Except he didn't... please. (Mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Locks

May 28, 2005
Do you understand the difference between amateur scouts and pro scouts ? Timmins has nothing to do with pro scouting. Nothing at all.

Yeah, except Carbonneau is the guy who pushed for DD 100%. If Timmins had liked him out of the Q, he could have used a 7th rounder on him at any time. Except he didn't... please. (Mod)

Why would anyone waste a pick on a player that can be signed for free? A 5'6 dude with mediocre skating and a poor shot was not gonna be drafted. Some teams including the Habs reportedly considered drafting McNiven in the seventh round but decided to take their chance on signing him. And McNiven right now is a lot better prospect than DD ever was.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
He still looks way too slow to make a play, very nonchalant and slow reacting in his own zone.

Mind you, I've only saw him last two games. During the first game, his decision making process was rather quick. His passes were released quickly. He cut many plays in the neutral zone or in early zone entry. Where I find he needs to work is on his deep defensive zone coverage. But that's easy to correct. Kid does seem to want to learn, if I read correctly from his coach.

His puck control was second to none during those games. As soon as going forward, he took over. His defensive partners don't seem that good. He made some quick outlet passes but it took some time for his partners to dish it out.

He's supposed to be the opposition's main target on the blue line, yet he rarely gets boxed in. Great quality.

He needs to react quicker and more decisively after the red circle. That's his challenge right now.

It's been only two games though. You probably saw more of him.

For now, after two games, my analysis is this: don't trade the guy. He will be cheap and will be very valuable for at least 10 seasons.

Trade other suspects if you wish; this one you keep.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
This is how I feel as well, but to get that coveted number 1 center, what are the options if Serge's is not on the table?

I don't think there's any options if Sergachev is not offered.

AG as a winger is not worth a center. And his value got diminished a lot last year. We traded him one year too late sadly (imo he's already traded just a matter of time).

The hate train already started against Sergabust. You can read message about him being a lazy bust already. We all know when it starts it doesn't end. He's gonna be traded one day or another. Fans and the media will work very hard for this to happen. So if we can acquire a center for him might as well pull the plug before his value is too low like AG.

I called it summer 2016. The order for the next cancers is AG > Beaulieu > Sergachev. Fans and the media are very predictable when it comes to cancers. Cancers get traded no matter what just a matter of time.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012

AG as a winger is not worth a center. And his value got diminished a lot last year. We traded him one year too late sadly (imo he's already traded just a matter of time).

The hate train already started against Sergabust. You can read message about him being a lazy bust already. We all know when it starts it doesn't end. He's gonna be traded one day or another. Fans and the media will work very hard for this to happen. So if we can acquire a center for him might as well pull the plug before his value is too low like AG.

I called it summer 2016. The order for the next cancers is AG > Beaulieu > Sergachev. Fans and the media are very predictable when it comes to cancers. Cancers get traded no matter what just a matter of time.

I don't know, I'd be very reluctant in moving Serge. Chucky could be had for the right price, I suppose, but I fear a lateral move or move that closes our window further like Subban/Weber.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick

The one thing I think we have to give MB credit for Is that he clearly doesn't give two ****s what the fans or the media think. If he was going to trade Sergachev he would have done it in March for Duschene....

then again by the time MS is ready for the NHL/his value is realized Bergevin could well be somewhere else.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Why would anyone waste a pick on a player that can be signed for free? A 5'6 dude with mediocre skating and a poor shot was not gonna be drafted. Some teams including the Habs reportedly considered drafting McNiven in the seventh round but decided to take their chance on signing him. And McNiven right now is a lot better prospect than DD ever was.

Yeah I don't care to continue this argument. Anyone who thinks Timmins had anything to do with DD and/or Streit is simply uninformed and misguided. I don't know about McNiven though, perhaps Timmins was 100% behind that one.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Trade Pacioretty.

yeah maybe package him up with a Gallagher. I think that's the only way really. No hate on Patches (from me anyways) but he can't be our go to guy. It would be a huge loss but not if we can get a real #1 C then I think that's what has to be done. Ideally we can sign one but who's available?

Unless we can add without subtracting we should try and shake up the top 6.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I am completely in favour of trading Pacioretty and I am sure he himself would welcome it, he is a complimentary piece and not much more. Lehkonen could take his spot if he had a legit talented center as a setup man. Danault can play no higher than third and Plekanec needs to go, enough of these passive pushover type of players.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
We need to hope Sergachev can make an NHL impact next season because Markov can no longer be relied upon as a top 4 D. Every year come play off time he runs out of gas.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
We need to hope Sergachev can make an NHL impact next season because Markov can no longer be relied upon as a top 4 D. Every year come play off time he runs out of gas.

Except for that weird skate pass he did in game 4, he played solid in the playoffs.
He also played very well during the reg. season.
He absolutely still is a top 4 D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad