Speculation: Mike Smith vs The Field

Should we bring back Smith or pick up someone else?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Wasn't a big fan of Smith's prior to February but he proved to be our best player during the playoffs, with an otherworldly performance in those 5 games.

I think I'd be open to bringing him back for 1 year in platoon with Rittich, who looks poised to take over the lion's share of starts next season.

Curious what everyone else thinks

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
We’re kinda f***ed because we can’t afford any of the big fish. And if it’s smith or gillies.... I’m taking the former AINEC. Not excited to say the least, but he’s the only cheap option that I can see us getting.

Talbot and Reimer are just as bad, and at least we know what we are getting with smith.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Someone else...Not sure who but prefer not to deal with Smith inconsistency any more. He is also 37...

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think given our cap situation Smith is probably the realistic option. I'm not super opposed as long as Rittich is still gonna be the starter.

Out of all the other names out there, Reimer is the only one I'm more interested in, but only if Florida is retaining or buying him out as rumored.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Literally anyone else

5 good games doesn't change Smith being unable to put up a 0.900 save percentage on the 2nd best team in the league.

I'd rather gamble on a guy and have him not turn out than bring back a 37 year old goalie who played awful for the majority of last season.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I'd be ok with Smith. Rittich is learning a lot from him. Smith's puck handling takes pressure off of the D and greases the transition game. Smith's compete level when the chips are down was outstanding. I'm just not prepared to pay him more than 2.5M. If Smitty can accept the lower pay cheque, he'll be a good fit here.

Despite his poor GAA and SV% a lot of those stats occurred during the first part of the year. The Flames would dominate and the goalies would go long stretches without seeing any action. I'm convinced some poor play was a result of that.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
We’re kinda ****ed because we can’t afford any of the big fish. And if it’s smith or gillies.... I’m taking the former AINEC. Not excited to say the least, but he’s the only cheap option that I can see us getting.

Talbot and Reimer are just as bad, and at least we know what we are getting with smith.
Talbot is not just as bad.

Reactions: crackdown44

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I’m team Talbot. If he’s bad whatever and if he isn’t then hahahahahaha f*** you Edmonton

2x1.75

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I'd take Talbot on a cheap contract, or Reimer with salary retained if Florida moves him. Smitty was great in the playoffs but I think it's time to move on, maybe I'd take him realllyyy cheap like 1 year @2M if nothing else works out.

I really hope Rittich can survive 50 starts next season with +.910 save percentage, we need an established #1 goalie in the worst way.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't mind Talbot or Lehner, but Treliving's Achilles heel is UFA. Can we trade for a goalie instead?

Smith as an extension... I don't think it's as bad luck. If be cool with him if it makes the most sense from a cap perspective.

I don't have faith in our goalie crop. I don't know what's wrong, but I don't think it's completely goalie coach related. We need to consider a dedicated sports psychologist for goalie prospects or something.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I don't mind Talbot or Lehner, but Treliving's Achilles heel is UFA. Can we trade for a goalie instead?

Smith as an extension... I don't think it's as bad luck. If be cool with him if it makes the most sense from a cap perspective.

I don't have faith in our goalie crop. I don't know what's wrong, but I don't think it's completely goalie coach related. We need to consider a dedicated sports psychologist for goalie prospects or something.

It is kind of worrying how poor gillies did and the stagnation that has occurred with parsons tbh. We got very lucky Rittich got it together this year, but Treliving needs to figure out why our goaltending development is so shitty at some point.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Gilles I don't know what happened, but he suddenly stalled hard two seasons ago.

Parsons has mental illness. Same idea as Lehner but supposedly without the substance abuse added in. He's got help for it now, but it stalled his development until he went and got help. He should be fine going forward, but I'd consider he lost last year's development and is going to be another full year or two before maybe being backup calibre.

Rittich had an article that sorta made me think he was not in the right mind frame as well. An article I read said he was so nervous he kept playing a game that wasn't his normal game even though the goalie coach was telling him not to. He only somehow accidentally figured things out in his head after being called up to the world cup and finding success passing his normal style.

Ortio, no idea what happened.

No idea on Schneider and Mcdonald. McDonald seems like he over complicates his game to me or something, but I don't watch a lot of his playing.

Like... We were losing tons of prospects in the system due to issues in the farm system. Treliving has fixed the prospect part. I have no doubt the goalie development will also improve, but as of now, I trust none of the prospects to be even backup calibre by training camp.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think the team needs to stop taking goaltenders so early for a while and just keep signing undrafted Europeans

3rd on Gillies in 2012
2nd on McDonald in 2014
2nd on Parsons in 2016

2nds and 3rds are valuable commodities in the modern NHL and let's be honest - all three of those were wasted picks. Let some other team do the work and bring them in just before they're ready to "pop".

Or take them later in the draft. Our 6th rounder in Brossoit has had more success than all three of minor league goalies put together

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
It is kind of worrying how poor gillies did and the stagnation that has occurred with parsons tbh. We got very lucky Rittich got it together this year, but Treliving needs to figure out why our goaltending development is so ****ty at some point.

I’m not a Gillies defender by any means but the one thing I will say is that Stockton had pretty abysmal team defense last year

Stat watching goalies at the ECHL and AHL levels isn’t always the best idea. Unfortunately I don’t really know enough about the position to be able to put together a meaningful “eye test” assessment either

I’m still holding out some hope for Parsons too

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Parsons has mental illness. Same idea as Lehner but supposedly without the substance abuse added in. He's got help for it now, but it stalled his development until he went and got help. He should be fine going forward, but I'd consider he lost last year's development and is going to be another full year or two before maybe being backup calibre.

Plus numerous actual injuries which is concerning too.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
I think the team needs to stop taking goaltenders so early for a while and just keep signing undrafted Europeans

3rd on Gillies in 2012
2nd on McDonald in 2014
2nd on Parsons in 2016

2nds and 3rds are valuable commodities in the modern NHL and let's be honest - all three of those were wasted picks. Let some other team do the work and bring them in just before they're ready to "pop".

Or take them later in the draft. Our 6th rounder in Brossoit has had more success than all three of minor league goalies put together
Calling them wasted picks is a bit premature, goaltenders typically take longer to develop. Also Brossoit is older than all of them and didn’t really do anything before this past season.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I will personally be totally revolted if we bring Smith back. I also think his playoff performance is totally oversold around here- sure he was one of the best players for our team during that series, but that is not saying much. He was unforgiveably bad for 80% of last season, and I think his play did help to murder momentum several times, which cannot be understated. A team that can build solid momentum to close out the regular season gets far in the playoffs (look no further than the cup champions this year for proof.)

I'm down for Talbot on the cheap but I also hope we throw some money towards Lehner if he is available come July 1st.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Give me the field, easily.

Bring Ramo and Karlsson back.

Or Laurent Brossoit. Or Jon Gillies. Wasnt get supposed to be NHL ready by now?

giphy.gif

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
If I have to endure another season of Smith coughing up the puck behind his own net and giving up a gimme, I'm gonna lose it.

Random thoughts

On durability: I don't think Smith has another season in him. This years' playoffs were fueled by adrenaline.

On cost: Lehner will get paid, Talbot not so much. Rittich will make some money too.

A Rittich / Talbot combo makes a bit of sense.
Fully agreed with this post. Maybe Talbot is a bit of a meme around these parts but paired with Rittich, I don't think it would too bad of an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad