Speculation: Mike Smith vs The Field

Should we bring back Smith or pick up someone else?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I'd actually be feeling really confident in this signing had he also not looked pretty terrible with the Flyers. Still seems like a good gamble to me though.

Flyers team defense was pretty suspect last year too. The funny thing is if he can come in and posted like a .915 as a backup I’d be pretty ecstatic.

That’s sad in itself but that’s just life as a Flames fan when it comes to goalies

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd actually be feeling really confident in this signing had he also not looked pretty terrible with the Flyers. Still seems like a good gamble to me though.

I think his confidence was really shook last year though. It took Dubnyk a full year to go to AZ and get with Burke to get his head right.

I wish this was a 2 year deal, if Talbot comes in and plays well, he is going to demand a lot more money to extend.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Seems like the deal is already in place. I watched Talbot during his Hart year (he was the MVP of that team, not McDavid when they made the playoffs), but I also watched him somehow play worse than Smith last year.

Hoping he can turn it around next year, but I also hope Rittich get's 50+ starts.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I hope Rittich is solid enough at the beginning of the season that we can ease Talbot in and rebuild his confidence.

This signing now essentially spells the end of Gillies with the Flames

I think Gillies play spelled the end of Gillies with the Flames. I think Talbot plays well for us.

No offense to gillies, but he played his way out of an almost surefire backup spot. No doubt tre gave him that 1-way deal with the thought he would be getting NHL minutes this year. He stagnated the last couple of years and was just godawful last year, regardless of the poor defense in front of him. Idk if they’ll be able to move that contract (maybe they can loan him?), but I’d have to think his chance at a roster spot in the nhl are virtually 0 at this point.

Reactions: Janks

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Our season relies on Rittich playing like he did, even after this injury. Talbot needs to play 50-50 W/L Hockey and if Rittich isn't the same... Colour me skeptical.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If the Flames sign Talbot I'll be surprised that Treliving couldn't do better. Hope I'm wrong.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
If the Flames sign Talbot I'll be surprised that Treliving couldn't do better. Hope I'm wrong.

Better how?

Brobrovsky is the only sure fire better FA and he is out of our price range and has zero interest coming here. I guess Varlamov would be considered better by many but likely way to expensive as well. Then you get to the other guys McElhinney, Mrazek, Smith, Neuvirth, Johnson none of them are any better than Talbot.

Maybe there is a trade out there but I don't see it. Allen I guess might be better but I think that is a mabye at best.

I think you still have to see what you have in Rittich as that is our best chance to get a legit starter. We don't really have the cap space or extra assets to get a proven top level guy and I am not sure there is one out there. I think the time to make a big goalie move is next off-season when you can be more sure whether Rittich can cut it or not.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I think there's a good shot at Talbot to bounce back without big expectations and in a limited role to start. Hopefully we don't need him to step up but he definitely has the potential to work up to a good split of games played with Rittich or to step up later in case of an injury.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Lololololol

Remember when our defense was a tirefire the first month and a half learning the new system? If edmonton’s backend doesn’t improve, he’s showing up to the same shit. This is gonna be hilarious to watch.

JGaudreau

Oct 9, 2015
Smith is so overrated.

1. He visibly made the team play worse in front of him because of his puckhandling antics. It sent the entire team into a Chinese fire drill every time he left the net.

2. He has a terribly awful habit of clutching his glove every single time the puck nears the net. He is often not set and not ready because he has this almost neurotic habit of clutching. It is so pervasive he probably spends around 1/5th of the time the puck is in his zone doing this stupid habit.

3. He's way too emotional and easy to perturb. What worries me about Rittich as well, chased down Byfuglien for touching his pad.

I could see Edmonton being last in goals against with Smith shredding their nonexistent defense structure even further.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Better how?

Brobrovsky is the only sure fire better FA and he is out of our price range and has zero interest coming here. I guess Varlamov would be considered better by many but likely way to expensive as well. Then you get to the other guys McElhinney, Mrazek, Smith, Neuvirth, Johnson none of them are any better than Talbot.

Maybe there is a trade out there but I don't see it. Allen I guess might be better but I think that is a mabye at best.

I think you still have to see what you have in Rittich as that is our best chance to get a legit starter. We don't really have the cap space or extra assets to get a proven top level guy and I am not sure there is one out there. I think the time to make a big goalie move is next off-season when you can be more sure whether Rittich can cut it or not.
Talbot just doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me and there are obviously goalies out there that have played better in recent years that are currently available.
With the exception of his 2016-2017 season (3 years ago) Talbot's GAA and Sv% have gotten worse every year. He's not exactly trending in the right direction.
I suspect that Treliving is going with Talbot because he feels that he's the only NHL experienced backup goalie that's available that the Flames can probably afford once Tkachuk and the other Flames RFA's are signed.... especially since the cap has dropped to $81.5M from the expected $83M
Probably more a case of who can we afford... not who do we really want. My fingers will certainly be crossed hoping for a great season from BSD because I really don't expect much from Talbot... other than a warm body to sit on the bench to fill out the game day roster and relieve BSD on B2B nights.

SeasonTeamGPGSWLOTSAGAGAASSv%SOMIN
2013-2014NYR21191261560331.645270.94131,211
2014-2015NYR363421941,038772.219610.92652,095
2015-2016EDM5653212751,6481372.551,5110.91733,223
2016-2017EDM7373422282,1171712.391,9460.91974,294
2017-2018EDM6767313132,0361883.021,8480.90813,730
2018-2019EDM312910153888953.367930.89311,695
2018-2019PHI43120109133.70960.8810211
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think a lot of the downturn in his numbers make sense though.

In 2013-14 he was a par time back-up so a much different prospect from when he moved to being a full time starter. Then he had a bad year when the Oilers were a tire fire from 2017-19.

I don't think he will be a .920 starter level goalie but I also don't think he will be a sub-.900 guy either. I am hoping he can be right around .910 and be a decent 30 game back-up for us.

He is not an ideal option for us but considering who is available, our cap situation and us still needing to figure out what Rittich is I am not sure there was a definite better option, many other guys might have been as good but I don't see a better option that fits into our cap.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Why? He’s not acting malignantly, so what’s the issue?
I think a lot of the downturn in his numbers make sense though.

In 2013-14 he was a par time back-up so a much different prospect from when he moved to being a full time starter. Then he had a bad year when the Oilers were a tire fire from 2017-19.

I don't think he will be a .920 starter level goalie but I also don't think he will be a sub-.900 guy either. I am hoping he can be right around .910 and be a decent 30 game back-up for us.

He is not an ideal option for us but considering who is available, our cap situation and us still needing to figure out what Rittich is I am not sure there was a definite better option, many other guys might have been as good but I don't see a better option that fits into our cap.

It's a typical BT move. Low cost guy hoping for a break through/bounce back...most of the time it doesnt work

At least this year we have no cap to sign another Brouwer/Neal....

Think positive LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad