Speculation: Mike Smith vs The Field

Should we bring back Smith or pick up someone else?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
If he hopes to be a starter then the Calgary rumours should be out the window. I can't imagine the Flames are going to be going into the season with him above Rittich on the depth chart.

Agreed. Would be dumb to guarantee him that playing time, and frankly, talbot isn’t exactly someone who should be picky after his last couple years of play.

Reactions: Baxterman

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Agreed. Would be dumb to guarantee him that playing time, and frankly, talbot isn’t exactly someone who should be picky after his last couple years of play.

I think Calgary offers him a chance to be a starter but that is only if Rittich drops the ball and we need to go to plan b. I like the idea of a guy coming in with confidence in his abilities but I hope he comes in knowing he is 100% the second choice and that the team hopes he stays there because for us to have success Rittich needs to be the guy not Talbot.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If he hopes to be a starter then the Calgary rumours should be out the window. I can't imagine the Flames are going to be going into the season with him above Rittich on the depth chart.

I feel like the context is that Talbot hopes for a platoon situation vs guaranteed backup like Elliott just accepted in Philly. I don't think he's aiming to be the top dog right of the bat. I mean, the only places that looks possible is where? Carolina, Florida, Ottawa (if Andersen out) and CBJ?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I feel like the context is that Talbot hopes for a platoon situation vs guaranteed backup like Elliott just accepted in Philly. I don't think he's aiming to be the top dog right of the bat. I mean, the only places that looks possible is where? Carolina, Florida, Ottawa (if Andersen out) and CBJ?

Yeah and nobody should be signing him to be #1 anyway.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I'm just as uneasy with going into the season with Rittich as the confirmed #1 guy, but I'd be fine with a 1A/1B situation with Talbot.

Reactions: Karri Ramone

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I mean at this point he needs to sign a short term, prove it type of deal. Maybe he gets 4 per, but I can’t see anyone paying more than that. See Darling.

Why would he get 3.75? That’s almost the same aav as his current contract, and he’s been absolute shit these last couple years. I offer a 1.5-2 million aav for a year, take it or leave it.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Yeah I expect Talbot to come in around 2milAAV on a 1-2 year deal. Can’t see anyone giving up more than that, especially with how saturated the goalie market is with middling goaltenders

My thought as well. All these guys on market (save for Bob) are very middling goaltenders. Anything above 3m for Talbot here or elsewhere, would surprise me.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Talbot would have to come in at or lower than what Rittich will get. Anything higher creates an unequal relationship and perhaps resentment from Rittich that you value the new guy more than me. Especially if you're platooning.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Mentioned in the other thread, but what if... we helped Cam Talbot find a home and attempt to pry Markstrom out at the same time?

Squeeze Vancouver for Markstrom and "brokering" Talbot with Vancouver to sign a 3.2-3.5x3 limited NTC no NMC. I don't think it's tampering as it's just info you get in negotiations (kinda like how I seem to recall we got inside track info about the negotiation level and info on Hamilton, Lindholm and Hanifin from the teams we acquired them from). No worse than when a player pits GMs against each other going, "They're offering me this."

Vancouver locks in goal tending for a reasonable cap and duration while they wait out Luongo's 3 year penalty. 3.5 mil + ELC + 3.8 mil recapture - 7.5 mil ish on goalie tandem over next 3 seasons. Talbot is paid probably more than elsewhere at 3x3. Vancouver also saves cap in this scenario vs retaining Markstrom. In all seriousness, Vancouver's system under Green is also decent in comparison to what Talbot was dealing with for shot suppression vs Flyers and Oilers, so in theory he should be able to do reasonably well.

Calgary gets a young guy who should do better with a change of scenery and better system supporting him. He'd be a fantastic platoon option with Rittich.

???

Profit!?

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Mentioned in the other thread, but what if... we helped Cam Talbot find a home and attempt to pry Markstrom out at the same time?

Squeeze Vancouver for Markstrom and "brokering" Talbot with Vancouver to sign a 3.2-3.5x3 limited NTC no NMC. I don't think it's tampering as it's just info you get in negotiations (kinda like how I seem to recall we got inside track info about the negotiation level and info on Hamilton, Lindholm and Hanifin from the teams we acquired them from). No worse than when a player pits GMs against each other going, "They're offering me this."

Vancouver locks in goal tending for a reasonable cap and duration while they wait out Luongo's 3 year penalty. 3.5 mil + ELC + 3.8 mil recapture - 7.5 mil ish on goalie tandem over next 3 seasons. Talbot is paid probably more than elsewhere at 3x3. Vancouver also saves cap in this scenario vs retaining Markstrom. In all seriousness, Vancouver's system under Green is also decent in comparison to what Talbot was dealing with for shot suppression vs Flyers and Oilers, so in theory he should be able to do reasonably well.

Calgary gets a young guy who should do better with a change of scenery and better system supporting him. He'd be a fantastic platoon option with Rittich.

???

Profit!?

As a Canucks fan dropping by I’ll weigh in on this scenario.

For starters I highly doubt Benning even considers Markstrom being moved due to what he’s putting on the line this season. He’s in a make or break year with his job on the line and he also wagered our first rounder for the next two years on JT Miller and other pieces acquired in Free Agency being enough to make the playoffs.

While I’m in the camp that believes he’s out on a fools errand I fully believe he’s drinking the Kool Aid on a scenario that if teams like Carolina and St Louis can get in and make noise then so can the team he has constructed. I just don’t think he’d move Markstrom unless he was able to get a sure upgrade and that’s not going to happen.

Reactions: Fig
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad