Vanilla Playoffs: Where has the Hatred and Nastiness gone?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
This thread is the perfect place to congregate and yell at clouds.

Look, it was a year with an abnormal number of lopsided matchups. An Islander taking a run at a Cane wouldn’t change shit, they had to play their game perfectly to have a chance and once that clearly wouldn’t work they were already outta it. Playing nasty at that point would just be invitation to get teammates banged up for no reason, it’d turn into a further debacle- like, they were such blowouts that battling back through physicality wasn’t really an option.

Now, that said, I do think the diving in Boston-Toronto is a concern. I’m basically thinking all the physicality is back in the second round, once they’re real matchups and gaining that edge actually matters and is possible.. but if a player can’t touch Marchand because he’s gonna dive and the refs will fall for it, ok, that is one minor concern. I still expect emotions to boil over in games that are actually good/close, though. I picked Isles, but my point is that all the losers were basically holding on for dear life and didn’t have room or reason to goon it up.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Maurice expecting the physical play to ramp up in round 2

(part relevant to this thread starts @ 2:30)

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
This year's first round is completely devoid of any nastiness or hatred. No rivalries, no fights, no anger... Maybe it's the playoff format, maybe it's the phasing out of fighting and violence, I'm not entirely sure... but that magical element that makes the Stanley Cup playoffs the best show on television has been glaringly absent so far in the first round. This no longer feels like the playoffs I'm used to, anybody else feel the same?
The mods arr more stricts 🤣

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Whatever “my day” was, things were different then, better then. And ever shall it be.

There are actually a lot of good explanations in here. The players are different. The game is officiated differently, with at least a nod toward player safety. The schedule and divisions are different. This year in particular there have been a lot of bad round one matchups.

Physicality breeds intensity and vice versa, and makes for better play and better watching. It seems reasonable to think it will pick up as the playoffs continue. But if this shift in the game means fewer bad penalties, less meathead play and increased player safety, I’ll take it.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
You can't get nasty with the Vegas players or you might injure them and give them an advantage in next year's playoffs

• Haha
Reactions: NyQuil

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
The league has gone soft compared to prior eras. The NBA has gone even worse. The bad blood of the 80s and 90s in the NBA has been replaced by three point shooting contests.

The Oilers and Flames met in the playoffs several years ago and it was devoid of bad blood.

idspispopd

May 12, 2010
It is the format, the same matchups year after year is so boring. It makes it all feel like it does not matter. This format feels like "meh, win or lose itbis all the same, going to be right back here next year".

The interesting matches only seem to happen in the finals now.

You want interesting stories, switch to a "higher seed picks their opponent" model for instant rivalries, and open it up cross divisions to add more variety.

Reactions: DamonDRW

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
The NHL has been cracking down on this sort of stuff for years. Its starting to really show.

Just give it enough time and even hitting will start to go away.

I mean this hit right here got a thread on the main boards.

Its a solid hit sure but hits like that used to be common place in the playoffs.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I've noticed that as the playoffs have gone on in the first round their defensive games have gone through the roof. Scoring has dropped like a rock.

The coaches will be happier as a pig in shit. The defensive purest fans as well.

It's unfortunate that hockey when played at its best becomes somewhat less entertaining. The games are fast, close, intensely checked. But the problem is nothing really happens.

Team goes down ice. gets a shitty scoring chance trying to shoot through 5 players. Other team comes back .. gets a shitty scoring chance at best trying to get it through 5 players.

How many lead changes have this playoffs yielded? It seems to be back to that first goal wins mentality when watching.

It's not a fault of a team, player, coaches etc. I think it's an existential issue with the game. The harder and more detailed the players play.. the less entertaining it is from the fans perspective imo. The games are close.. but 90% of the time your watching it's hoping that outside shot from a bajillion miles away doesn't deflect in. Maybe it's lack of plays because when all the players are detailed there's just none to be had. So it's prayer shots.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I've noticed that as the playoffs have gone on in the first round their defensive games have gone through the roof. Scoring has dropped like a rock.

The coaches will be happier as a pig in shit. The defensive purest fans as well.

It's unfortunate that hockey when played at its best becomes somewhat less entertaining. The games are fast, close, intensely checked. But the problem is nothing really happens.

Team goes down ice. gets a shitty scoring chance trying to shoot through 5 players. Other team comes back .. gets a shitty scoring chance at best trying to get it through 5 players.

How many lead changes have this playoffs yielded? It seems to be back to that first goal wins mentality when watching.

It's not a fault of a team, player, coaches etc. I think it's an existential issue with the game. The harder and more detailed the players play.. the less entertaining it is from the fans perspective imo. The games are close.. but 90% of the time your watching it's hoping that outside shot from a bajillion miles away doesn't deflect in. Maybe it's lack of plays because when all the players are detailed there's just none to be had. So it's prayer shots.

Doesn’t always go that way, though. It does seem bizarrely chess-y this year, like every team is dialing in strategies with zero room for error or funny business.

I still maintain this is much ado about nothing, but the games last night felt.. tensely boring? Like watching Floyd Mayweather fight himself.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
these kids are all friends, play together in the off season, and everyone considers everyone else their teammate.

and they are.

they play for team Rich NHL.

the idea of hate, rivalries, etc is all long gone. just a bunch of rich kids getting richer.

Reactions: Nuck Bonino

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Gone are the days of Montreal vs Boston an actual rivalry....

These days people are like wow this shit is nasty when Nylander starts bitching at his own teammates on the bench rather than the opposing players.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
The mods arr more stricts 🤣
1714922567008.gif

God I can only hope so, although I thought Toronto vs Boston would be quite a bit nastier considering the history and rivalry between those teams.
Watch the Oilers vs Canucks series, we hate each other. Players and fans.

Reactions: Danarqhy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad