Confirmed with Link: Mike Richards 1 Year 1$M [mod note: posts 55 & 140]

coyote

Jul 21, 2002
Visit site
Lata

funny Trotz says he doesn't expect Richards to score but on the other hand takes Lata out of the lineup because he isn't scoring ????????

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The Caps got Richards because they were not satisfied with Latta by all indications. When they moved Beagle to 3C, that opened up 4C for Latta and with the exception of the occasional fight, he hasn't really stepped up. Richards is good on face offs. He is an accomplished checker and faceoff man. End of games now Trotz sends out Richards in Ov's spot for late d zone faceoffs. Latta didn't improve enough to keep his spot.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The Caps got Richards because they were not satisfied with Latta by all indications. When they moved Beagle to 3C, that opened up 4C for Latta and with the exception of the occasional fight, he hasn't really stepped up. Richards is good on face offs. He is an accomplished checker and faceoff man. End of games now Trotz sends out Richards in Ov's spot for late d zone faceoffs. Latta didn't improve enough to keep his spot.

This rings true. I have been disappointed in Latta. And I think now with the emergence of Mojo at 3C, when Beagle finally comes back, his time with the Caps could be over. I could even see him possibly being a small trade piece.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
By all indications, Latta is a terrific teammate. That's about the best thing I can say about him right now. I was higher on him than most but he had a few golden opportunities this year to step up and prove he deserves more ice time and he hasn't done it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The problem come playoff time we need his grit without him we only have Wilson

Richards is not lacking in playoff grit at all. Neither are Chimera or Beagle so far as that goes. Orpik probably brings more playoff style grit than even Wilson.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Latta seems like a very useful 4th liner to me. Don't mind him playing at all, he's not a liability out there and he actually has a little scoring touch.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Latta has surprisingly good hands. I've seen him deke around a few guys in the neutral zone. At least he doesn't handle the puck like a grenade.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Latta has surprisingly good hands. I've seen him deke around a few guys in the neutral zone. At least he doesn't handle the puck like a grenade.

I think his biggest problem is still his footspeed. When Beagle started training with that power skating coach he became useful player and got a place in the lineup eventually. And I think Beags was already 26 or smth at the time.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think his biggest problem is still his footspeed. When Beagle started training with that power skating coach he became useful player and got a place in the lineup eventually. And I think Beags was already 26 or smth at the time.

Latta is 24, plenty of time for him to work on his game and improve. He could be a decent 3rd line player.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Latta is 24, plenty of time for him to work on his game and improve. He could be a decent 3rd line player.

Ironically enough Michael Latta was said to have Mike Richards (then 40-point 3C) ceiling when that Forsberg trade happened. Now it's very likely that those 2 end up fighting for the last spot if everyone stays healthy.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
obv. MR10's speed/quickness is an issue
but his defensive hockey IQ is still VERY strong, anticipates well, good physical play, good on faceoffs, gets some steals
offensive instincts have been a little rough, but he's getting chances here and there, hoping he pots 1 to get the juices flowing
fortunately they didn't bring him in for offense, but yeah, more than zero would be nice

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Right now, Latta does not have any impact on games. But he's serviceable, cheap, and young -- so, fine to keep until he develops, or is surpassed, or some other team wants him in a deal for a player you like...

He definitely needs much better wheels to become useful. Apparently, Trotz told him that much and Latta worked on it in the summer. I don't see any effects, though, maybe it's not in the cards...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
there are hungry guys in Hershey that want that roster spot. Stephenson not least among them. Barber too. If Johansson locks in at center then Latta's slot opens up to a pure winger too.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Latte isn't going to give you any significant return. He's cheap, he's young, at times he shows promise. A guy like Richards might not have anything left in the tank next season, or ask for more than we're willing to pay. Just hold onto Latta for a bit longer, no harm in it.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Having watched Richards at 3C for six playoff games, where should he be in the lineup going forwards?

I was very surprised at his faceoff percentage this series, often behind that of Backstrom and 0-10 in game 6 (whereas Beagle, who took more faceoffs than Richards, was well above 50%). No doubting Richards' defensive abilities and PK role, though, where he really shines.

I just don't see enough offensive ability there to warrant him playing 3C over Mojo and Beagle. Do his checking and physical abilities outweigh his offence-neutering tendencies in earning him 3C?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I prefer Richards on 4, especially if he keeps up the hitting. 18 hits good for 4th in the series surprised me.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Richards is a very smart player and he's using it out there. He is not fast though, that's for sure.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He's an effective PKer and he still gives 100%, but there's nothing left offensively. Pretty much a better version of Jeff Halpern's second stint on the team.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
In a sense then he's super Brooks Laich.

Hopefully the lack of offensive output will help keep his salary ask down in the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad