Mike Ribeiro

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So McPhee traded for someone for one year and isn't willing to pay him what the market demands? Thats just short sighted on George's end, don't you think so Tex?

one of the reasons that ribeiro was available for a prospect and a non first round pick was because he going to be a rental or a bad contract if extended. dallas traded him because, I am guessing, because they didn't see his next contract as something they were interested in.

McPhee traded for him, and I believe he said this at the time, because a rental at the deadline doesn't give an impact player enough to time become a part of the team.

so, I don't think its short sighted at all. a player that brought to the table what ribeiro brought that is not a short term fix costs a player like alzner or Carlson or kuznetsov and a good first round pick, as opposed to where the caps pick.

I also think its interesting how much bash Johansson gets here, but eakin who is the same age and less accomplished yet the McPhee bashers are pining that he was traded.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
I'm really gullible and I picked up on the sarcasm. As a side note,nice avatar.

Thanks mate! I snapped that picture in Jerusalem right beside the church of the holy sepulchre. I have no idea what it says though. I hope it doesn't say something like Toronto Maple Leafs suck:laugh:. If it does you would tell me right???

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Kuznetsov is the answer. Has any team ever put so much faith in a prospect that didn't seem thrilled to come to the NHL?

bonzaibondra12

Feb 13, 2010
Rockville, MD
I want Ribs back, but people upset about trading Eakin for him?

I think that was a hell of a deal. Eakin wouldn't have a place in our lineup without moving Mojo or MP85. I didn't see Eakin show anything that says he is an upgrade over either one.

Captain hindsight is mad cause we lost in the first round. When the trade happened it looked like the missing piece. Ribs performed better than expected. It was the core who screwed it up.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Nobody is upset at trading Eakin for him. People are pissed about giving away an asset who looks like he's going to be a longterm NHL'er for a rental who apparently didn't fit into the future of the team.

I guess giving Semin away wasn't enough....

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
I want Ribs back, but people upset about trading Eakin for him?

I think that was a hell of a deal. Eakin wouldn't have a place in our lineup without moving Mojo or MP85. I didn't see Eakin show anything that says he is an upgrade over either one.

Captain hindsight is mad cause we lost in the first round. When the trade happened it looked like the missing piece. Ribs performed better than expected. It was the core who screwed it up.

My .02:

Ribs played better than he had for Dallas initially, but as time went on, his play fell off, and he began to resemble the player he was for the Stars.

All in all?

Slightly better than he had been, but the fact that he seems to have a bit of the dog in him and he did so in DC as well... deflates the theory that it was all due to the poor chemistry in Dallas. A dog is a dog in any city you put him in.

Imagine... if we'd given him a 5 year deal.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Nobody is upset at trading Eakin for him. People are pissed about giving away an asset who looks like he's going to be a longterm NHL'er for a rental who apparently didn't fit into the future of the team.

To me, coupling the Semin debacle with the failure of 15-some years, ought to be the death blow.

But GMGM has eternal life.

Maybe my missus is right: George is in possession of some kind of compromising pictures of Ted, and Ted doesn't dare fire him, lest McPhee releases them.

bonzaibondra12

Feb 13, 2010
Rockville, MD
My .02:

Ribs played better than he had for Dallas initially, but as time went on, his play fell off, and he began to resemble the player he was for the Stars.

All in all?

Slightly better than he had been, but the fact that he seems to have a bit of the dog in him and he did so in DC as well... deflates the theory that it was all due to the poor chemistry in Dallas. A dog is a dog in any city you put him in.

Imagine... if we'd given him a 5 year deal.
His play didn't fall off. He was given a bunch of stiffs as linemates.

Him going to the net was one of the reasons we even went 7 games in the Rangers series.

Liberati0n*

His play didn't fall off. He was given a bunch of stiffs as linemates.

Him going to the net was one of the reasons we even went 7 games in the Rangers series.

Ribeiro's production was so high because of the PP. He seems to play a lot better with "stiffs" as linemates (at least ones who can get the puck going in the right direction, unlike Brouwer) than with skill players. He and Ovechkin weren't actually good together, but their pairing happened to coincide with Ovechkin buying into RW/scoring on the PP/getting his confidence back, and that association causes people to remember their pairing inaccurately. Ribeiro's best ES offensive play was probably at the beginning of the year, when he was with Ward and Chimera. Anyway, his production, which was mostly on the PP, didn't really fall off later in the year, which for some reason seems to be a misconception that gets a lot of play here.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

the caps didn't giveaway semin. they kept him and made the playoffs and played 14 playoff games in exchange for keeping him.

for ribeiro, the caps made the playoffs. ribs was the main reason the caps slow start wasn't more disastrous than it already was. keeping him at the deadline helped the caps make the playoffs after clearly recovering from the bad start. in the playoffs the caps won a game in ot on a ribeiro goal.

rentals are never free. in this case the rental brought real value.

are you one the "I wanted them to miss the playoffs anyway" group?

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
Didn't lose sleep over Eakin because if he was still here, we'd be *****ing about him like we do about Mojo.

Ribs was a stud for a good chunk of the suck streak but he DISAPPEARED in the playoff outside of that OT goal. I want him back but part of me doesn't want anyone that dogs it in the playoffs anywhere near this team. They already have enough of those guys

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
ive never been high on eakin, he impressed me in dallas but im still not upset over losing him. its better than being that organization that purposely misses the playoffs every other year because of a couple holes.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
the caps didn't giveaway semin. they kept him and made the playoffs and played 14 playoff games in exchange for keeping him.

for ribeiro, the caps made the playoffs. ribs was the main reason the caps slow start wasn't more disastrous than it already was. keeping him at the deadline helped the caps make the playoffs after clearly recovering from the bad start. in the playoffs the caps won a game in ot on a ribeiro goal.

rentals are never free. in this case the rental brought real value.

are you one the "I wanted them to miss the playoffs anyway" group?

You don't get it. They gave Semin away for nothing. Playoff games don't suit up and score 30g/40a. That was no exchange for Semin.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Could have definitely lived with a 4x$5.5M deal with Ribeiro. Not great, but workable. Hopefully McPhee acquits himself by acquiring Grabovski on a smaller/shorter contract, however unlikely that may be.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You don't get it. They gave Semin away for nothing. Playoff games don't suit up and score 30g/40a. That was no exchange for Semin.

semin was a big producer down the stretch to make the playoffs. he had 10pts in the final 10 games of the season. if they trade him for futures they likely miss the playoffs. my take is that was your preferred way to go.

so...they kept him and made the playoffs.

he also scored 3 goals v boston. they don't win that series without him. so they got the playoffs and a first round series win in exchange for keeping him.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
semin was a big producer down the stretch to make the playoffs. he had 10pts in the final 10 games of the season. if they trade him for futures they likely miss the playoffs. my take is that was your preferred way to go.

he also scored 3 goals v boston. they don't win that series without him. so they got the playoffs and a first round series win in exchange for keeping him.

What you can't seem to fathom is that a trade of Semin should have returned a valuable roster player who could just as easily have contributed towards the playoffs and the future. Sadly, our brilliant team architect waited too long and pissed away a critical asset that should have been flipped when his value was better.

This is a team game. Semin alone didn't bring or guarantee anything, certainly not a playoff berth or series like you're suggesting.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Could have definitely lived with a 4x$5.5M deal with Ribeiro. Not great, but workable. Hopefully McPhee acquits himself by acquiring Grabovski on a smaller/shorter contract, however unlikely that may be.

Absolutely, I could have lived with it too. So maybe you get one crap year from Ribs at the end...not much pain. I think they've gotta be hoping they can get one of these guys like Grabo or Roy on the cheap when their options dry up.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

Boston took Kessel, who didn't fit in with the team and traded him for Seguin. He didn't fit and they moved him for yet another player in Ericksson who should be good for 30-40.

Washington turned Semin into nothing.

Would you rather have a player like Ericksson? Or what we replaced Semin with in Washington?

Andrew Knoll

Jun 20, 2007
Los Angeles
thehockeywriters.com
one of the reasons that ribeiro was available for a prospect and a non first round pick was because he going to be a rental or a bad contract if extended. dallas traded him because, I am guessing, because they didn't see his next contract as something they were interested in.

McPhee traded for him, and I believe he said this at the time, because a rental at the deadline doesn't give an impact player enough to time become a part of the team.

so, I don't think its short sighted at all. a player that brought to the table what ribeiro brought that is not a short term fix costs a player like alzner or Carlson or kuznetsov and a good first round pick, as opposed to where the caps pick.

I also think its interesting how much bash Johansson gets here, but eakin who is the same age and less accomplished yet the McPhee bashers are pining that he was traded.

I think you may be giving Dallas's management a little too much credit. They manage to make a deadline deal every year that weakens their team just enough to miss the playoffs and generally cannot settle on a direction. The Ribeiro deal was just a way to get younger and get solid value for him. Do you think they thought he was going to be a point-per-game player who led the league in PPP last year when they moved him? Doubtful, or they would have kept him instead of signing two older, more expensive and ultimately less productive forwards. Again, I just wouldn't read too much into the Stars' take on him vis-a-vis the Caps'.

It is a tough decision because he is not a great player 5on5 and a four-year deal is probably at least a year longer than his ideal term. That said, it seems awfully tough to let a guy that productive walk at to a relatively fair deal (4/22M on the open market) when there is no clear-cut replacement for him. Do they have someone in the organization that I am overlooking? Maybe. Was there a better option among FA centers from July 5 onward? I don't think so, I would definitely prefer Ribeiro to Weiss, Filppula, et al. Vinny was already off the board.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
PHX is probably equally attractive to WSH for NHL players. What's the attraction for WSH? Top UFA's never sign w/ WSH. The Caps and the Yotes are second rate organizations.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
It is a tough decision because he is not a great player 5on5 and a four-year deal is probably at least a year longer than his ideal term. That said, it seems awfully tough to let a guy that productive walk at to a relatively fair deal (4/22M on the open market) when there is no clear-cut replacement for him. Do they have someone in the organization that I am overlooking? Maybe. Was there a better option among FA centers from July 5 onward? I don't think so, I would definitely prefer Ribeiro to Weiss, Filppula, et al. Vinny was already off the board.

Don't forget that 4 year deal included a NMC I believe...thats not to be overlooked. The Caps know all about that too well with the Nylander fiasco which prevented them from making several moves that could have bolstered their chances in their best years.

Also rarely is a UFA a good option. 90% of the time the contract looks awful a year or two down the road. With the salary cap its best to develop from within and the Caps could have some sleepers step up. Not ideal but better than a bloated contract for an aging player on the downswing of his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad