Mike Ribeiro

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Just so we're all on record, would you keep Ribeiro if he agrees to a 3-4 year market value contract or would you trade him for assets?

Obviously, no one wants him to play out the string and walk for nothing, so I'm just allowing two options.

It's a tough one...but I say trade him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I also say trade him. He will fetch a nice return and he is not the long-term answer.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Trade. His market value salary severely handicaps the team next year. After that, they could afford him again, but two years down the road is entering questionable territory as far as his ability to maintain his play.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Based on his ever increasing value and our ever increasing need to rebuild it should be obvious that we should trade him.

The market is hot due to a couple injuries/signings that moved Ribeiro up the charts. His expiring contract would be mouth watering for a contender that would have cap issues going forward picking up a similar player on a deal with more term.

Also I have less and less faith he would want to resign with us anyhow.

Its the right thing to do since the playoffs look so far out of reach now.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
i say keep him. best case scenario mcphee hits like he did on robert lang. a late first which was effectively schultz and a prospect, fleischmann. neither of those players brought impact to the roster for 3 years or 4.

if the caps are going to sit for 3 years waiting on rebuilding pieces to develope, i would suggest more than ribeiro and expiring contracts need to be moved. if ovechkin and backstrom are to be kept and paid, then retool rather than rebuild is the direction.

if retool is the project, the trading ribeiro means the need to replace him. who can be gotten for the same or less than the assets acquired for ribeiro will be as good or better than ribeiro?

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
i say keep him. best case scenario mcphee hits like he did on robert lang. a late first which was effectively schultz and a prospect, fleischmann. neither of those players brought impact to the roster for 3 years or 4.

if the caps are going to sit for 3 years waiting on rebuilding pieces to develope, i would suggest more than ribeiro and expiring contracts need to be moved. if ovechkin and backstrom are to be kept and paid, then retool rather than rebuild is the direction.

if retool is the project, the trading ribeiro means the need to replace him. who can be gotten for the same or less than the assets acquired for ribeiro will be as good or better than ribeiro?

We can draft a replacement in the top 5. Seeing how we'll be in a much tougher division starting next year, we're not going to make the playoffs anyways... We can use a few years to wait for one to develop.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
We can draft a replacement in the top 5. Seeing how we'll be in a much tougher division starting next year, we're not going to make the playoffs anyways... We can use a few years to wait for one to develop.

And at the age of 33, we should see Ribeiro on the decline in a couple of years anyway.
There really isn't much argument here: trade him.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
At this point, I have no faith that we'll make the right decision. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that whatever they decision they make I'll feel they made the wrong one.

But I think he should be traded. 3 years from now should be our window anyway. Wilson, Forsberg, and Kuz will be here, Orlov, Alzner, Carlson, MoJo should all be at their peak, Holtby will hopefully be our veteran netminder; a man can dream, right?

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
At this point, I have no faith that we'll make the right decision. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that whatever they decision they make I'll feel they made the wrong one.

But I think he should be traded. 3 years from now should be our window anyway. Wilson, Forsberg, and Kuz will be here, Orlov, Alzner, Carlson, MoJo should all be at their peak, Holtby will hopefully be our veteran netminder; a man can dream, right?

+ our top five pick this upcoming draft (a Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov or Lindholm, most likely)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

thats pretty presumsumptive. players as good as mike ribeiro dont grow on trees. players that fit your personel and overperform their numbers as a result are rarer.

how many years will this draft pick take to become a fully developed 1-2c with enough experience to be a playoff performer? my guess is that he will be a rookie at 20 or 21 and will need 3 nhl seasons to be a complete player to the level that ribeiro is now

its a pipe dream to think that the caps will get an eric staal level center with a top 5 pick that will, poof, replace ribeiro. right now....today...ryan nugent-hopkins isnt as good as mike ribeiro

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

I wouldn't call it a dream as that is a very realistic situation.

I'd bet that one of Grubauer or Neuvirth will excel to compete with Holtby as well.

In light of that Ribeiro will certainly be past his prime by then and would be a drag on our cap flexibility.

He is having an abberation of a year (his best production pace in his career at 33 years old) and his value is sky high due to the market.

more rumors of leafs interest. That could be a nice 1st rounder

I guarantee you that if we trade Ribeiro that what you say would be the starting point of what we'd get back. He's worth even more than Lang was due to his contract situation and the cap going down next year. He is low hanging fruit for us to trade.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
thats pretty presumsumptive. players as good as mike ribeiro dont grow on trees. players that fit your personel and overperform their numbers as a result are rarer.

how many years will this draft pick take to become a fully developed 1-2c with enough experience to be a playoff performer? my guess is that he will be a rookie at 20 or 21 and will need 3 nhl seasons to be a complete player to the level that ribeiro is now

its a pipe dream to think that the caps will get an eric staal level center with a top 5 pick that will, poof, replace ribeiro. right now....today...ryan nugent-hopkins isnt as good as mike ribeiro

Carlson was a late 1st rounder that made a rather quick impact.

The kid Brodin from Minnesota looks dang fine too.

And those are Dmen!

As a forward its much easier to step into the league and make a team than it is being a dman or goalie thats for sure and there are plenty of example of it too. Its not unreasonable to expect that at worst a top 5 pick can come in his 1st or 2nd year and make an impact.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008

Call me crazy, but I think MoJo will be that guy.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Call me crazy, but I think MoJo will be that guy.

He could. Seeing that his play early this season was due to trying to play through a concussion reassures me about his talent and hockey ability. The concern has shifted to injuries and his concussion history.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Trade him. I'm bored of watching this team try and play actual hockey. I'd rather watch GMGM play fantasy hockey for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad