Confirmed with Link: Mike Reilly to Montreal for a 2019 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudicles

Oct 1, 2010
Sheesh. I come back after years, and some of the arguments are about the exact same people.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
To bring this back to Reilly, is the argument that the Wild have mishandled him since he signed with us? Because that seems silly to me. To summarize his time since signing with the Wild in June of 2015:

2015-16: 45 AHL games, 29 NHL games
2016-17: 57 AHL games, 17 NHL games
2017-18: 1 AHL game, 38 NHL games

So 2 seasons with about a 70/30 split between AHL and NHL, then his third season in the NHL full-time. Seems like an utterly reasonable way to handle a young defenseman. He was absolutely given the opportunity to break onto the NHL team this year, but that presented the following challenges:

1.) The Wild's top-4 is set for the immediate future, so he was mostly competing for a 3rd pairing spot.
2.) The Wild spent most of the season as a bubble team with high expectations/pressure to make the playoffs, so it needed reliable defensive play every game from all of it's defenders.
3.) He's a LD, and was therefore facing competition from Olofsson and Seeler (guys who he's better than offensively but worse than defensively) instead of Prosser and Murphy (guys who he's better than offensively and closer to defensively).

So, circumstances being what they were, the Wild ended up moving Reilly to a team where he's in an ideal situation for this stage in his development: playing 20 minutes every game with low expectations, and an opportunity to earn similar playing time next year.

He's only 24 so who knows what the future holds, but right now things seem to have gone pretty well for him since signing with the Wild.

Last edited:

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
The one thing about this trade is that it is already trending away from good value.

If we're going to complain about Fletch (sometimes reasonably) you have to wonder at the value he got for Leddy (and Johnsson), Scandella, and now Reilly. The Gilbert acquisition and buyout was a weird one, passing on Folin and signing Quincey... but no one's perfect.

In this present case, "something" for Reilly seemed like an ok return but it's not likely to be "anything" whereas Montreal gets a guy capable of playing in their top-4 and maybe putting up some points. They're a depleted, odd case right now, and I'd expect his TOI to be harder to come by next season. Still, placating an agent or a team owner might have been more important to this trade than getting fair value was.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
At a certain point you're just at the mercy of the market, though I suppose there's a possibility that he could have returned more at the draft. It seems unlikely that his value would have gone up much between now and then sitting in the pressbox though.

It does crack me up that Botterill spent a 3rd on Nathan Beaulieu a few months ago, but wouldn't beat a 5th for Reilly. Montreal basically turned Beaulieu + 5th into Reilly + 3rd :laugh:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Fletcher does not get a pass on the Scandella trade, but this Reilly thing is small potatoes. He might end up being the next Leddy( remember CHI passed him on , too), but he was stinking it up here. Simply terrible, Junior B'ish mistakes back on D.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I didn't see enough of him but what I saw was promise. Didn't want to kick him to the curb for a sh-- 5th round throw-away.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Fletcher does not get a pass on the Scandella trade, but this Reilly thing is small potatoes. He might end up being the next Leddy( remember CHI passed him on , too), but he was stinking it up here. Simply terrible, Junior B'ish mistakes back on D.
He wasn't near as bad defensively as you constantly claim.

The way that Boudreau handled both Reilly and Olofsson this year was a joke. Neither guy has looked good because of it.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

The way that Boudreau handled both Reilly and Olofsson this year was a joke. Neither guy has looked good because of it.
I think it's fair to say he's been the worst non quincy defensemen in the D zone. Given we get plenty of offense from Spurgeon, Suter and Dumba, he's just not a fit for what we're looking for.

Reactions: Tuntrui

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com

I'm not sure what Boudreau did to derail Reilly, other than state the obvious that the kid lost his confidence. Plain and simple, We need a coach like Scott Stevens to handle these young defenseman. I believe in Fletcher's mind he thought that Kyle Quincey would help the young D and everyone knows how that idea turned out.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'm not sure what Boudreau did to derail Reilly, other than state the obvious that the kid lost his confidence. Plain and simple, We need a coach like Scott Stevens to handle these young defenseman. I believe in Fletcher's mind he thought that Kyle Quincey would help the young D and everyone knows how that idea turned out.
You can't take a young defenseman and tell them to go out and show me why you deserve more ice time, and then also tell them that any mistake will likely lead to being benched. Both Reilly and Olofsson clearly struggled with it all season, and the worst part of it all is that whenever one of them started to play well, Boudreau would play the other guy for 8 straight games.

I don't really have a problem with the fact that the Wild moved in from Reilly, but to say that they handled it well is incorrect. IMO

Wabit

May 23, 2016
You can't take a young defenseman and tell them to go out and show me why you deserve more ice time, and then also tell them that any mistake will likely lead to being benched. Both Reilly and Olofsson clearly struggled with it all season, and the worst part of it all is that whenever one of them started to play well, Boudreau would play the other guy for 8 straight games.

I don't really have a problem with the fact that the Wild moved in from Reilly, but to say that they handled it well is incorrect. IMO

I didn't like how the Reilly/Olofsson situation was handled for playing time either.

I still think they should have not burned Reilly's waiver exemption (games played) and sent him to the AHL earlier in the season. Then made as decision between the two of them this off-season. Maybe there was a handshake deal for Reilly to be with the big club when he signed his extension?

I do think GMCF tried to do right by the guy and put him in a situation where he could succeed with MTL. There were supposedly a few other teams kicking the tires on him.

The bigger part of the trade might end up being that he was shipped off to an East team. If he does round out to be a nice d-man the it doesn't effect the Wild for anything more than 2 games a year. :dunno:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wasn't Dumba having the same issues? While Reilly is a year older, Dumba has much more experience and he was given top 4 minutes.
yes, Dumba has similarities in his game, but he is a RHD. Our two other RHD's are Jared Spurgeon and Nate Prosser. We have Brodin, Suter, Olofsson, and Seeler on the LHD.

Reilly might be as good of a skater as Dumba...maybe even better. He is not as strong or physical, doesn't have the shot, and, as you said, is a year older. The more i saw of Reilly, the less hopeful I was that he had a high hockey IQ...in other words, he just didn't seem to "get it". A team can only have so many high risk dmen on their team, and the wild already have a very high scoring Blue line w/o Reilly. IMO, what they need is solid play on the back end, not more offense(often at the expense of Defense).

You can only blame a coaching staff so long. At some point, a player has to be responsible for himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad