Confirmed with Link: Mike Reilly to Montreal for a 2019 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Reilly, scratched 15 times since Dec. 30, welcomed the move. He was “excited for the opportunity,” and it comes less than a week after he arguably played his best game of the season in front of Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin in New Jersey.
Reilly’s agents had been assisting Fletcher in moving him for weeks.

That was all I could find. That doesn't say he asked to traded, but he welcomed it. Don't know for sure either way.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I thought he had/has high upside. Him and Suter (or whoever else) I thought could have been good.

Wild defense are leading the entire League in points (or goals, I can't remember).

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Played almost 22 minutes tonight, had 2 assists and was +2 in a 6-4 loss to the Devils

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Who cares about the 4th round pick we could’ve got for Nolan 8 years ago?

It's not the draft pick, but the way the organization handled their players. The object of the team is to get better each year, either through signs, trades or drafting. If your team is eliminated, you are going to be building toward the next season or the next season after that so you can try and reach that objective.

The Reilly trade was an extremely smart trade, though it shows that Minnesota has trouble developing young talent. However, that is neither here nor there when it comes to Reilly.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
It's not the draft pick, but the way the organization handled their players. The object of the team is to get better each year, either through signs, trades or drafting. If your team is eliminated, you are going to be building toward the next season or the next season after that so you can try and reach that objective.
It's incredible that someone can still harbor strong feelings regarding how Fletcher didn't trade a 37 year old in his first season as GM. If the goal is to get better each year you should really be banging on the Nick Leddy trade.

The Reilly trade was an extremely smart trade, though it shows that Minnesota has trouble developing young talent. However, that is neither here nor there when it comes to Reilly.

Zucker, Granlund, Nino, Coyle, Dumba, Brodin, Spurgeon, Brodin, Scandella, Haula, and now potentially Seeler and JEE all point against that.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Who knows, maybe Staal remembers the respect that we gave a veteran like Nolan and it was one of the deciding factors in his decision to come here. Nobody here can say that it wasn't; in which case, I will definitely take Staal scoring 30+ (and potentially 40+) goals over a 2010 (or whatever) 4th round pick. Great job Fletch!

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
It's incredible that someone can still harbor strong feelings regarding how Fletcher didn't trade a 37 year old in his first season as GM. If the goal is to get better each year you should really be banging on the Nick Leddy trade.

I don't have just strong feelings about that trade, but it did set a standard for most of the veterans. The Leddy trade was actually fundamentally sound, but the execution was poor. I was more upset about the Kobasew trade.

Zucker, Granlund, Nino, Coyle, Dumba, Brodin, Spurgeon, Brodin, Scandella, Haula, and now potentially Seeler and JEE all point against that.

Does it? Zucker was almost on his way out the door due to the way Minnesota was handling him and consistency. Granlund is no longer playing center, because he couldn't develop there. Nino is a good case. Coyle most people want to trade, because he isn't what most expected him to be and how much he costs. He has also not turned out to be a 20-20 player most of us was pegging him for. He has only hit 20 goals once in his career, though hit 40+ points in two of his seasons. Dumba took FOREVER to develop and most people were ready to give up on him at the beginning of the year. He's finally started to break out, but we'll see. Brodin has also been someone they talked about a lot on trading and most people think he's just a top 4 defenseman with little growth and nothing special. Scandella was developed a bit before Fletcher took over. Haula has had a much better season outside of Minnesota. Seeler is unknown, hard to say. JEE most people are complaining about his lack of production and again consistency .

Staal was also looking at revitalizing his career and Minnesota was a perfect opportunity for that. Who knows, Minnesota might have actually had a decent backup goaltender if they decided to trade Nolan for a 4th.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
1. Zucker was not almost on his way out the door.
2. Dumba is 23; he did not take FOREVER to develop.
3. Scandella was drafted in 2008; Fletcher took over in 2009. That's 1 year and basically zero non-CHL time.
4. Haula is having a better season because of an increased role that wasn't available to him here.
5. I'll take a 30+ goal #1 center over a decent backup goaltender a million times out of a million.

Reactions: Wild11MN

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't have just strong feelings about that trade, but it did set a standard for most of the veterans. The Leddy trade was actually fundamentally sound, but the execution was poor. I was more upset about the Kobasew trade.

Does it? Zucker was almost on his way out the door due to the way Minnesota was handling him and consistency. Granlund is no longer playing center, because he couldn't develop there. Nino is a good case. Coyle most people want to trade, because he isn't what most expected him to be and how much he costs. He has also not turned out to be a 20-20 player most of us was pegging him for. He has only hit 20 goals once in his career, though hit 40+ points in two of his seasons. Dumba took FOREVER to develop and most people were ready to give up on him at the beginning of the year. He's finally started to break out, but we'll see. Brodin has also been someone they talked about a lot on trading and most people think he's just a top 4 defenseman with little growth and nothing special. Scandella was developed a bit before Fletcher took over. Haula has had a much better season outside of Minnesota. Seeler is unknown, hard to say. JEE most people are complaining about his lack of production and again consistency .

Staal was also looking at revitalizing his career and Minnesota was a perfect opportunity for that. Who knows, Minnesota might have actually had a decent backup goaltender if they decided to trade Nolan for a 4th.
Embarrassingly bad. All of it.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
1. Zucker was not almost on his way out the door.

Is Jason Zucker Getting A Raw Deal?

Minnesota Wild: Could Jason Zucker Be Traded?

Minnesota Wild: Expectations for Jason Zucker

This was back in 2014. He was also getting bounced from the minors back to the majors a lot. There were a lot of blogs talking about Zucker and the possibility of moving him. He had a bad season in 2015-2016 and there was talk about exposing him in the LV draft (before he exploded last year). They even quoted that they either make an affordable re-signing or potentially trade baiting Zucker. So, yes Zucker was seen as trade bait and his disappointing season two years ago made it seem like they were keen on moving him unless he took a pretty nice rebate.

2. Dumba is 23; he did not take FOREVER to develop.

23 with 295 games under his belt. He almost hit the 300 games played. For comparison Jacob Trouba has 321, only 21 more games and has looked better. Maatta has 287 games and was extremely solid for them. It has taken Dumba almost 4 seasons to develop and he's been given some ample opportunities here. It wasn't until the middle of the season when he started playing better.

3. Scandella was drafted in 2008; Fletcher took over in 2009. That's 1 year and basically zero non-CHL time.

Fair enough on that (Thought he was drafted earlier)

4. Haula is having a better season because of an increased role that wasn't available to him here.

What increased role that wasn't available here? Top 6 center? Staal, Haula, Koivu, Winnick/Cullen/whoever. Why couldn't we have given Haula a top 6 center position?

5. I'll take a 30+ goal #1 center over a decent backup goaltender a million times out of a million.

But you're just guessing why Staal signed here.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Is Jason Zucker Getting A Raw Deal?

Minnesota Wild: Could Jason Zucker Be Traded?

Minnesota Wild: Expectations for Jason Zucker

This was back in 2014. He was also getting bounced from the minors back to the majors a lot. There were a lot of blogs talking about Zucker and the possibility of moving him. He had a bad season in 2015-2016 and there was talk about exposing him in the LV draft (before he exploded last year). They even quoted that they either make an affordable re-signing or potentially trade baiting Zucker. So, yes Zucker was seen as trade bait and his disappointing season two years ago made it seem like they were keen on moving him unless he took a pretty nice rebate.

23 with 295 games under his belt. He almost hit the 300 games played. For comparison Jacob Trouba has 321, only 21 more games and has looked better. Maatta has 287 games and was extremely solid for them. It has taken Dumba almost 4 seasons to develop and he's been given some ample opportunities here. It wasn't until the middle of the season when he started playing better.

Fair enough on that (Thought he was drafted earlier)

What increased role that wasn't available here? Top 6 center? Staal, Haula, Koivu, Winnick/Cullen/whoever. Why couldn't we have given Haula a top 6 center position?

But you're just guessing why Staal signed here.

1. I don't know why I need to care about the opinions of those bloggers. The only opinion that mattered was Fletcher's, and neither of us know what it was, expect that he wasn't traded or exposed in the ED, so I don't know why the conclusion that he was almost run out of town is there.

2. Trouba is a good player, I admit it. Maatta, on the other hand, has had a ton of consistency issues in the Pittsburgh. Maybe not the best example there. Young defensemen "getting it" right away continues to be the exception, not the rule.

3. Well, Staal just scored 28 goals and 65 points and Koivu was coming off of a 58 point + Selke nomination season. I am a very big fan of Haula for how badass he was when he played for the Gophers, but I don't give him either spot to start the year this year.

4. And you're guessing that a 2010 4th rounder gets a decent backup goalie.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
1. I don't know why I need to care about the opinions of those bloggers. The only opinion that mattered was Fletcher's, and neither of us know what it was, expect that he wasn't traded or exposed in the ED, so I don't know why the conclusion that he was almost run out of town is there.

Selective memory. I know that a LOT of fans were also wanting to be rid of Zucker when he had value as well. Fletcher was also very tepid about him in his interviews, but he was the subject of a lot of trade rumors.

2. Trouba is a good player, I admit it. Maatta, on the other hand, has had a ton of consistency issues in the Pittsburgh. Maybe not the best example there. Young defensemen "getting it" right away continues to be the exception, not the rule.

Maatta also suffered a significant injury if I remember there. Young defensemen getting it is no longer an exception. It's like young QBs in the NFL.

3. Well, Staal just scored 28 goals and 65 points and Koivu was coming off of a 58 point + Selke nomination season. I am a very big fan of Haula for how badass he was when he played for the Gophers, but I don't give him either spot to start the year this year.

Erik Haula started playing for Minnesota in 2013-2014 and had 6 goals in 46 games. He developed a bit and his goals kept going up. Eric Staal didn't sign with Minnesota until 2016-2017, 3 years after Haula was called up. Mikko Koivu had an okay year in 2013-2014 with 11 goals and 43 assists (but he was also 1st line center). The question was if Mikko could keep it up since after 2014-2015 his S% skyrocketed going from 7.8 to 12.1%. And it didn't. Haula has a high shooting percentage at 16.9 but not as big of a leap. I don't know why we didn't sign Staal, move Koivu down a line (he had a bad season before we signed Staal) and kept Haula developing as a top 6 center.

Phillipp Grubauer.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
-Fans everywhere want to get rid of players when they have value because mystery boxes are always more fun than what we know. Zucker was a young player that has ups and downs, same as every young player that has ever entered the NHL.

-I'd argue that Dumba is still a young defenseman, and it now appears that "gets it". So... development achieved!

-Because there was no basis for moving Koivu down a line. He was a 58 point, Selke nominated center. Maybe we would've seen it happen, had the expansion draft not thrown a wrench into our roster. Haula would've re-signed, and we'd have Staal/Koivu/Haula down the middle in whatever order ended up shaking out. You could argue that we "developed" him fine, and Vegas is now reaping those benefits, unless Vegas funs the greatest player development training camp in the history of hockey, turning a 26 year old 3rd/4th line center into a top 6 center in a matter of weeks.

-So now you're not only guessing that a) somebody would've given us a 4th for Nolan in 2010, but now adding in b) that we wouldn't have traded him to a team that picked after Grubauer was select, and/or c) that we would've taken the exact right guy. Lots of guessing going on.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Nice to see him doing well, at least in the couple of first games. Got potential, but wasn't a good fit in Minnesota.

Wish him all the best!

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
-Fans everywhere want to get rid of players when they have value because mystery boxes are always more fun than what we know. Zucker was a young player that has ups and downs, same as every young player that has ever entered the NHL.

Come on now -- there were more than enough people on this very board of peers that were ready to ship his ass out 3 years ago because he was becoming "injury prone", "can't play defense", "shot is off", "streaky" etc. Before you throw a stone, I hope you weren't in that same boat is all. I recall a mass outcry after his breakout season and then fell silent during the playoffs. Hell, many were pushing he should be traded while his stock was high.

As for Reilly, bad shake at the Wild and I feel for him. Probably cost himself quite a bit of playing time by buying into whatever snake oil Fletcher was selling him and his agent to come to MN. Same as Folin. Come to MN and you'll get playing time, as opposed to going to Chicago or some of the other teams.

I will agree with TSK on this: this team has been horrid with how it treats its draftees. Some have panned out! But many have completely fizzled out from those gems that have.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008

As I recall, Dumba was viewed as more of a project than the other high end D in his class but more physically gifted. That has played out as expected - he took longer to get there but I wouldn't trade him for any of those guys going forward

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Come on now -- there were more than enough people on this very board of peers that were ready to ship his ass out 3 years ago because he was becoming "injury prone", "can't play defense", "shot is off", "streaky" etc. Before you throw a stone, I hope you weren't in that same boat is all. I recall a mass outcry after his breakout season and then fell silent during the playoffs. Hell, many were pushing he should be traded while his stock was high.

Yeah, I wasn’t anywhere near that boat.

Fans wanting to “ship his ass out” isn’t anywhere close to him actually being in danger of being shipped out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad