Confirmed with Link: Mike Reilly to Montreal for a 2019 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Such a strange case Mikey Reilly. When he first got here he looked so promising and miles ahead of Dumba with his decision making. Then last season he looked like he'd done nothing but hitting the gym and he couldn't skate anymore. Then this season the skating got back but he suddenly had lost a big chunk of hockey sense.

Gotta give it to him though, he's never been afraid to play. That's something you can't afford to lose if you want to be an offensive dman.

All the best to Reilly.

SMTHook

Mar 23, 2015
Such a strange case Mikey Reilly. When he first got here he looked so promising and miles ahead of Dumba with his decision making. Then last season he looked like he'd done nothing but hitting the gym and he couldn't skate anymore. Then this season the skating got back but he suddenly had lost a big chunk of hockey sense.

Gotta give it to him though, he's never been afraid to play. That's something you can't afford to lose if you want to be an offensive dman.

All the best to Reilly.
Agree. He always made a decision. Obviously not always the right one. Unlike Prosser who locks up every time the puck is equidistant from him and an opponent. We blame Reilly for the goal the other night but Prosser could of cleaned it up for him if he just made a choice. Paralysis by analysis.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Blaming, or comparing, Prosser to Reilly is silly. Prosser has very limited tools, but has made the most of them, allowing him to earn an NHL paycheck. Reilly has all the tools, but has done little with them, and won't be in the league if he doesn't smarten up.

He left Prosser out to dry. A 2 on 1 should result in a scoring chance, especially against a bottom pairing Dman.

Bottom pairing Dmen's job is not to get scored on, just like 4th liners. Reilly better figure that out, or improve enough that he is no longer a bottom pairing guy.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Blaming, or comparing, Prosser to Reilly is silly. Prosser has very limited tools, but has made the most of them, allowing him to earn an NHL paycheck. Reilly has all the tools, but has done little with them, and won't be in the league if he doesn't smarten up.

He left Prosser out to dry. A 2 on 1 should result in a scoring chance, especially against a bottom pairing Dman.

Bottom pairing Dmen's job is not to get scored on, just like 4th liners. Reilly better figure that out, or improve enough that he is no longer a bottom pairing guy.
He needs to play for a coach / team that will bring him along like NJ did with Butcher.
Play "sheltered minutes" in specific situations to succeed and keep confidence up

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The dude is 24 yo.. Older than Dumba, and the same age as Brodin. Reilly has to make himself useful to a team. Coaches simply aren't going to put up with a guy who isn't reliable , unless he has outstanding upside. Reilly has some upside, but time is getting short for him to deliver on it.

I'm not sure that Reilly "gets it". We'll see. In a year or two he'll either be in a top 4 somewhere or in the AHL.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I caught some of the Habs-Isles game last night, wondering if Julien would play Reilly much. I saw him a few times before I had to turn it off and he seemed to do alright. Checked the boxscore and he ended up leading Montreal in ice time :laugh: Hope he keeps it up.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I caught some of the Habs-Isles game last night, wondering if Julien would play Reilly much. I saw him a few times before I had to turn it off and he seemed to do alright. Checked the boxscore and he ended up leading Montreal in ice time :laugh: Hope he keeps it up.

That is strange. I thought it might not be such a great opportunity for him since they don't really have a spot for him, assuming Juulsen and Mete continue to develop positively, but nice debut.

A quirk: he was credited with four hits last night, one less than he had in the first 46 games of his career with the Wild.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That is strange. I thought it might not be such a great opportunity for him since they don't really have a spot for him, assuming Juulsen and Mete continue to develop positively, but nice debut.

A quirk: he was credited with four hits last night, one less than he had in the first 46 games of his career with the Wild.
Highly strange, but spending the end of the season getting 15-20min/night on a team with nothing to lose would be a great scenario for him.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wonder if the guying doing stats in MTL was doing Reilly(and, by extension, Bergevin) a solid.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You guys think that they're lying about icetime numbers? really?

Wabit

May 23, 2016

The ToI isn't something that get's messed with. Hits are rather arbitrary in how they are awarded by the home team score keeper.

I didn't watch the game, so I dunno how well Reilly played. He could have gotten 4 hits; with that much ToI, and matching the heavier game the NYI play, it's not unreasonable.

I do wonder sometimes if some scorekeepers have, or are playing against certain players in their fantasy league. Weak 2nd assists, hits, and odd shot counting. Staying technically within the rules, but outside of the norm. Technically any puck that would be in the 4 by 6 if the goalie wasn't there is a shot, so some of the dump-ins get counted at times. :dunno:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't think they were lying, I just question how accurate the numbers are. Someone on the Habs forum mentioned that Julien said in the postgame that he didn't play 22 minutes, and what I saw in the 1st period didn't seem like it was on pace for that much playing time. It just seems like someone might have fat-fingered something when logging the shifts.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't think they were lying, I just question how accurate the numbers are. Someone on the Habs forum mentioned that Julien said in the postgame that he didn't play 22 minutes, and what I saw in the 1st period didn't seem like it was on pace for that much playing time. It just seems like someone might have fat-fingered something when logging the shifts.
Icetime numbers are very accurate, to the point where any arguments would be over seconds, not minutes. Hits on the other hand could certainly be questioned, and the giveaway takeaway stats are complete garbage.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

The numbers add up to just under 120 minutes combined for the 6 d-men. The top-4 all had 24 shifts. He might have gotten caught on a couple of long shifts, or with the new team not quite sure when to make a line change. MTL also could have been pushing him to see what they got in the trade.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Icetime numbers are very accurate, to the point where any arguments would be over seconds, not minutes. Hits on the other hand could certainly be questioned, and the giveaway takeaway stats are complete garbage.
Fair enough. Either way, great foot to start off on.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm watching the Habs game, Reilly looks like a completely different player. Stepping up and taking the body, playing with confidence, looking like a NHL player all around.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'm watching the Habs game, Reilly looks like a completely different player. Stepping up and taking the body, playing with confidence, looking like a NHL player all around.

I really like what I've seen of him so far. Big, mobile, big shot, good instincts in the offensive zone... If he's up for it, he'll get a chance to show his worth in Montréal.

He's twice the player Joe Morrow is, and we traded Morrow for a 4th round pick.

Reactions: Bazeek

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo

+4 tonight and again, over 20 minutes ice time. Too bad we can’t play the Islanders every night. Let’s see how he does in Boston tomorrow night. I do agree, the Habs are in a great situation to give prospects playing time and see what they have. MR is in the perfect situation so I hope he makes the most of it. Habs aren’t going anywhere but he can certainly make a n!e for himself for next season.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Reilly and Nolan were very different circumstances. I'm not sure one situation applies to the other.

Nolan said, nah don't trade me. Reilly picked this team as a free agent, Minnesota couldn't develop him worth crap and then dumped him. Still about loyalty. What did Nolan do to not be traded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad