Mike Hoffman

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Not sure that was the reason. I think he was demoted, as his first 2 periods weren't the greatest. Probably his worst so far this year. His turnover in the first lead to the first CAR goal, and he was turning over the puck a lot today.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Not sure that was the reason. I think he was demoted, as his first 2 periods weren't the greatest. Probably his worst so far this year. His turnover in the first lead to the first CAR goal, and he was turning over the puck a lot today.

Meh, he was long overdue for a game like this, so I don't really mind.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Do you remember him almost scoring on the zibby pass or him going at full speed and receiving a pass that way off well not slowing down then passing it? I dont think it was his worst. I wouldnt call it a bad game really.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Do you remember him almost scoring on the zibby pass or him going at full speed and receiving a pass that way off well not slowing down then passing it? I dont think it was his worst. I wouldnt call it a bad game really.

Compared to his other games this year, it was his worst. He was great attacking, but he did have a number of turnovers in the defensive zone. I'm pretty sure that's why he was bumped down.

Notice that he was bumped back up, once he started playing better with the 4th line.

bonehead

May 27, 2002
Visit site
There's two Hoffmans: one is kind of sleepy, stays in position, not working too hard and opportunistic (yet effective); the other is full on, pushing the pace, creating scoring chances out of thin air (truly dynamic). He was the former for most of the game and then the latter when he "woke up" after being demoted to Legwand's line. Who knows why he doesn't play that way all the time???

I think his lack of PP time is a direct result of the coaches wanting him to play consistently with pace and not be satisfied with the sleepy/opportunistic game. For someone with his hands, shot, creativity and quickness, there can be no other reason why players like Legwand, Michalek and Chiasson get PP time over him.

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
There's two Hoffmans: one is kind of sleepy, stays in position, not working too hard and opportunistic (yet effective); the other is full on, pushing the pace, creating scoring chances out of thin air (truly dynamic). He was the former for most of the game and then the latter when he "woke up" after being demoted to Legwand's line. Who knows why he doesn't play that way all the time???

I think his lack of PP time is a direct result of the coaches wanting him to play consistently with pace and not be satisfied with the sleepy/opportunistic game. For someone with his hands, shot, creativity and quickness, there can be no other reason why players like Legwand, Michalek and Chiasson get PP time over him.

He's been one of our most consistent forwards this year IMO. After his slow start with only 2 points in 8 games he's put up 21 in the 33 since.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011

I think his lack of power play time has to do with his having too low of a panic point and forcing low percentage plays too often. The three players you mention above are all much more mature with the puck on the power play. Not more effective, that's not what I'm saying, but less willing to lose possession by forcing the issue.

bonehead

May 27, 2002
Visit site
He's been one of our most consistent forwards this year IMO. After his slow start with only 2 points in 8 games he's put up 21 in the 33 since.

I agree, he has been one of our most consistent producers this year. My point, though, is the level of his play is quite up and down even if he can produce points with a quiet game. No one could say his play last night was consistent - asleep for the first two periods then on fire in the third. And that wasn't just new line mates or getting some bounces

I think his lack of power play time has to do with his having too low of a panic point and forcing low percentage plays too often. The three players you mention above are all much more mature with the puck on the power play. Not more effective, that's not what I'm saying, but less willing to lose possession by forcing the issue.

I disagree. Legwand, Michalek and Chiasson are not great with the puck while Hoffman can be very creative in tight spaces. He does make "bonehead" plays by forcing things sometimes but not more than I'd expect from someone who holds the puck a lot. I found he was a little cautious while playing the point on the PP but have no doubt he'd score consistently with 1st/2nd line PP time on the wing.

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
I agree, he has been one of our most consistent producers this year. My point, though, is the level of his play is quite up and down even if he can produce points with a quiet game. No one could say his play last night was consistent - asleep for the first two periods then on fire in the third. And that wasn't just new line mates or getting some bounces.

I'm watching the game now and he's already been a part of like 5-6 scoring chances for Ottawa in the first two periods. If that's your definition of asleep I think you're being a little harsh on him. Excited to see what he does in the third though.

Edit: Wow. Going off some of the comments here I was expecting a really poor showing from Hoffman but he easily could have had 4+ points with a little luck tonight.

Last edited:

vermette20

Jun 12, 2007
Australia
Cameron not having Hoffman on the PP is like Maclean using Phillips on the PP.

Only reason I can think of is to get him "going" even though he already is.

vermette20

Jun 12, 2007
Australia
Also time to profess my early love for the Hoff. I dunno what others saw but hes always been dangerous and showed ability to play here in his limited opportunities. Other than being a little disappointing the pre-season before last.

My projected lineup in 2012
Hoffman-Spezza-Michalek
Hoffman-Turris-Alfie
Hoffman-JOB-Greening
Hoffman-Smith-Neil

PP
Hoffman-Spezza-Alfie

Hoffman-Karlsson

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=55417367&highlight=#post55417367

bonehead

May 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm watching the game now and he's already been a part of like 5-6 scoring chances for Ottawa in the first two periods. If that's your definition of asleep I think you're being a little harsh on him. Excited to see what he does in the third though.

Edit: Wow. Going off some of the comments here I was expecting a really poor showing from Hoffman but he easily could have had 4+ points with a little luck tonight.

He's really fun to watch and I'm happy the team is finally giving him a chance to play. Just noting that when he turns it on he's dynamic, and other times more waiting for opportunities. I wasn't the only one that thought he was passive early on - Cameron wouldn't put Hoffman with Legwand unless he was sending a message. imho

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

It wasn't the offensive side that he had a poor showing at. It was his defensive play, and basically turning over pucks that had him demoted for a small part of the game.

He didn't have a bad game in general, just his worst relative to all his other ones this year.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It wasn't the offensive side that he had a poor showing at. It was his defensive play, and basically turning over pucks that had him demoted for a small part of the game.

He didn't have a bad game in general, just his worst relative to all his other ones this year.

That being said I did see him finish his hits though.

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014

Relatively I guess it was one of his worse performances but he was still one of our best players on the ice. Other than that one bad giveaway that led to a really flukey goal I didn't notice any really poor defensive play.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Funny that the only difference i can see in Hoffman's game from last year is confidence. He didn't becomes faster. He didnt improve his shot. He didnt gets stronger. All that happened was he became more confident, more willing to carry the puck and more willing to hold on to the puck and wait for the best shot possible then get it off right away. I bet theres tons of great players that have dominated other leagues over the year and done the same thing through their first 20 nhl games and then never been given another chance in the NHL.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
member when everyone wanted hagelin and we thought hoffman wasn't nhl material?

hoff is better than hagelin.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Funny that the only difference i can see in Hoffman's game from last year is confidence. He didn't becomes faster. He didnt improve his shot. He didnt gets stronger. All that happened was he became more confident, more willing to carry the puck and more willing to hold on to the puck and wait for the best shot possible then get it off right away. I bet theres tons of great players that have dominated other leagues over the year and done the same thing through their first 20 nhl games and then never been given another chance in the NHL.

Da Costa was starting to come around too. looked like one of our better players last year. Oh how much i wish we had da costa here and greening in binghamton.

BigBush*

So true, and to play Hoffmans style of game you need confidence.
He's got the skill to pull off risky plays, but as a rookie sometimes you make the simple plays instead so you don't lose your spot for making mistakes

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
Da Costa was starting to come around too. looked like one of our better players last year. Oh how much i wish we had da costa here and greening in binghamton.

No kidding. Da Costa was being close to PPG during his last call up wasn't he? Then he was promptly sent down to the AHL prior to the Olympic break and never heard from again. Had to make room for all of the "Heart and soul" players I guess :shakehead

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
No kidding. Da Costa was being close to PPG during his last call up wasn't he? Then he was promptly sent down to the AHL prior to the Olympic break and never heard from again. Had to make room for all of the "Heart and soul" players I guess :shakehead

no he wasnt close to ppg 4 points in 12 games plus 2
still he out performed hoffman in every way last season in the advanced stat column and in no way would i call his advanced stats bad.
he was also regularly credited with being the driving force of bingo

he did this all well playing only 9-10 minutes a game even strength. I wager his production for the amount he played was solid and then couple that with who he played with and i think it makes a better case for him

Last edited:

yoplait

May 4, 2011
Sleepy Hoffman played tonight. Love him, but he's frustrating to watch when he decides to sleep, because you know he could absolutely fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad