Mike Hoffman | Part II UPDATE: Off to Arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think its pretty ridiculous to think he'll go to arbitration just so he can leave the sens because he feels mistreated.

Guy was drafted as an overager by his childhood team. They worked with him over the years and regularly gave him not only opportunities in the NHL but top 6 opportunities. In reality Hoffman owes the sens nothing. I'm sure he wants to put himself first and try to get a nice payday this year to make up for all the years of making crap pay in the AHL. I see no indication though.... that hoffman has any disdain for the sens. I actually see reasons for him probably liking people in the sens organization that have helped him along for the last 4 years to become what he is today. Hoffman will probably sign another short term contract around 4 mil. He's not really comparable to Johansen because Johansen is much younger and hasnt missed out on as many years of NHL salary as hoff. I can see the sens saying we'll give you a solid contract that will guarantee you make millions in the NHL over the next few years. Succeed in those years and we'll make you one of our highest paid players over long term.

Sens were Hoffmans fave team?

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
To me, the Hoffman case-study looks like a lesson in how to develop a prospect. Let them take the time to flourish at a lower level before promoting them.

It's what the Sens didn't do with Zibanejad.

It is what the Red Wings do with almost all their prospects. In AHL until overripe and then to the Wings in their early-mid 20's. I think they know what they are doing. It might upset some Wings prospects but that is kinda tough luck. Only leverage that NHL teams have with players after many lockouts and labour strife. Once Wings prospects make the NHL they get their $$$ and seem to stay and be happy.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
So he's a big Chicago bulls fan too. This means nothing.

actually he is:P hey what are the odds of a kid wearing sens gear in the 90s and not being a bit of a fan. him wearing sens gear points to him being a sens fan more then being a fan of any other team. i feel comfortable enough saying the sens were his childhood team. if you dont thats fine. adds a bit to the myth that is hoffman too.:P besides that wasnt really even part of my argument lol

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
zibby was more physically ready and more responsible defensive then hoffman was imo. I personally would have liked zibby to be given much more ahl time but he was more ready for the nhl then hoff was at around the same age.

This is exactly the problem. You don't want a player who can SURVIVE in the NHL, you want a player who can PROSPER in the NHL.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
This is probably a dumb idea but why hasn't Hoff gotten a shot at C? Isn't he a natural center if we do end up getting that top 6 forward imagine Hoff centering two big guys like ROR/Hall and Bobby that would be crazy.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
This is probably a dumb idea but why hasn't Hoff gotten a shot at C? Isn't he a natural center if we do end up getting that top 6 forward imagine Hoff centering two big guys like ROR/Hall and Bobby that would be crazy.

I mentioned this before as well and I thought he was a C previously...he has the speed, puck skills and vision to be a great C...but maybe we let him keep showing us he can produce like this for a while.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

like many small forwards he has been groomed to play wing because people dont believe hell be successful at c. its been 4 or 5 years since played c i believe he listed as lw all the way back to his first ahl season for what its worth. When the sens drafted him he was listed as LW by the top 25 under 25

Heres a quote

Ottawa will have some noticeable holes opening up on the left side (Hoffman also pivots to center, as he did in juniors)

Last edited:

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
like many small forwards he has been groomed to play wing because people dont believe hell be successful at c. its been 4 or 5 years since played c i believe he listed as lw all the way back to his first ahl season for what its worth.

I just recently realized that Hoffman is taller than Crosby, Stamkos and Giroux.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I just recently realized that Hoffman is taller than Crosby, Stamkos and Giroux.

he also weighted like 170 pounds when drafted lol he has ok size now but no one will mistake him for big or strong. He probably could be shifted to center in a pinch or given time to work on it he might be able to convert but why mess with a good thing and risk him losing it and being a disaster at center.

Heres his wikipedia page. It might give people some more insight on his career and the path he took.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Hoffman_(ice_hockey,_born_1989)

Last edited:

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I wouldn't mind the Sens getting him an extension done soon... although I did read somewhere that they were going to wait until the end of the season, can't remember where I saw that though.

3 years in the neighbourhood of 2.5/year and I will be happy.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
If he gets anywhere between 25-30 goals I would give him 5 years at 3.85 per, max 4. Could be a good long term deal (ei Pacioretty, Turris)

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I'd like to see him back with Zibanejad and Ryan.

IMO his game is a little too perimeter oriented to be at his most effective with Turris. That line is also awfully light.

The net drive and size that Ryan and Zibanejad bring fit really well with Hoffman's speed and skill.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I'd like to see him back with Zibanejad and Ryan.

IMO his game is a little too perimeter oriented to be at his most effective with Turris. That line is also awfully light.

The net drive and size that Ryan and Zibanejad bring fit really well with Hoffman's speed and skill.

So true, but I suppose we're back to spreading out the offense since Turris and Mac have dried up.

It will be nice when we can just leave the top six alone, we'll need 6 top 6 guys for that though.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
So true, but I suppose we're back to spreading out the offense since Turris and Mac have dried up.

It will be nice when we can just leave the top six alone, we'll need 6 top 6 guys for that though.

It is a tough situation.

I'm hopeful Stone could get them going again, but then the Michalek-Legwand line goes back to being bad.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
It is a tough situation.

I'm hopeful Stone could get them going again, but then the Michalek-Legwand line goes back to being bad.

Not sure why Michalek and JGP were separated. They seemed to have some chemistry going.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
3.5X2 is my guess, hoffman makes his millions and gets a chance to cash in a year after signing it if he repeats his season.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
RFAs never make as much as people think. I remember the consensus on this board was that Gryba was going to get 1.5-2M a season, and he ended up getting just over a million.

Jaden Schwartz got 2.35M, 2 years
Ryan Johansen got 4M, 3 years
etc... etc...

Hoffman will get something like 2M for two years, 2.5M for three years or 3M for four years.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Not sure why Michalek and JGP were separated. They seemed to have some chemistry going.

I agree, this was nice paring with what looked like chemistry forming. Maybe they didn't want to play Pageau as much as Milan plays?

Still, I would like to see them back together, perhaps with stone.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
RFAs never make as much as people think. I remember the consensus on this board was that Gryba was going to get 1.5-2M a season, and he ended up getting just over a million.

Jaden Schwartz got 2.35M, 2 years
Ryan Johansen got 4M, 3 years
etc... etc...

Hoffman will get something like 2M for two years, 2.5M for three years or 3M for four years.

But we gave greening 2.6...
We gave cowen 3.1...
We gave wiercioch 2.0...

He deserves noticeably more than any 1 of those players. He's likely to lead our team in goals. None of the guys listed above came anywhere near that level of production and look what they got.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
But we gave greening 2.6...
We gave cowen 3.1...
We gave wiercioch 2.0...

He deserves noticeably more than any 1 of those players. He's likely to lead our team in goals. None of the guys listed above came anywhere near that level of production and look what they got.

New GM might not be as generous as Murray. These guys all are overpaid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad