Mike Hoffman | Awarded 1 year, $2M | Post 427

WhiteLight*

Anything more than 6M and he probably is in another team's jersey next season.

I'm guessing he slows down and finishes around 60 points, which probably gets him a 5x5 type deal. If he keeps up his pace and demands Ryan-type money, there's no way we can keep him. Harsh reality of being a budget team.

There's ways to move money. Always

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Fowler = Hoffman?
Maybe ??just spitballing .But if we move Hoffman for him ,we would have to upgrade the forward corps to make up the lost production .Maybe then we would reconsider the Duchene ,for Zibby and Chabot rumored deal then??

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
You move Hoffman for a Top 4 D, and then you just snag another Hoffman in the 5th round of the next draft. Easy.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Well, it's easier to find productive wingers than it is to find top-end defencemen.

IF he paces out reasonably close to what he's doing now. Yes, I hedged with IF... but I think that's wrong.

It is not easy to find 40 goal wingers, it would easier to find a top 4 D.

If you are comparing "productive wingers" to "top end" defencemen, which is a bit more vague, you could be comparing a 25-30 goal winger to a Karlsson, in which case it's clearly different.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Never mind the 2nd PP unit... this guy should not come off the ice on the PP till we score. Him and Karlsson should stay on.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Maybe ??just spitballing .But if we move Hoffman for him ,we would have to upgrade the forward corps to make up the lost production .Maybe then we would reconsider the Duchene ,for Zibby and Chabot rumored deal then??

....that's a hefty price for Duchene. I wouldn't pay that.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We finally have an elite left winger, we're not trading him. He's fourth in the league in goals, he is a main reason why we are an offensive powerhouse.

He legitimizes an entire 2nd pp unit with Zib and EK, he can be move to any line on the team to make a second threat to score.

We are not trading him for a defenceman.

We have a stud on the way, and and we'll see what we can get as a UFA, or for some lesser assets maybe, but until then, we'll just outscore our opponents.

I don't know about you guys, but I love the way we play, I love the pace we play at, and I love how we get into games where we're battling to outscore each other rather than smother each other.

Pure entertainment!

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We finally have an elite left winger, we're not trading him. He's fourth in the league in goals, he is a main reason why we are an offensive powerhouse.

He legitimizes an entire 2nd pp unit with Zib and EK, he can be move to any line on the team to make a second threat to score.

We are not trading him for a defenceman.

We have a stud on the way, and and we'll see what we can get as a UFA, or for some lesser assets maybe, but until then, we'll just outscore our opponents.

I don't know about you guys, but I love the way we play, I love the pace we play at, and I love how we get into games where we're battling to outscore each other rather than smother each other.

Pure entertainment!
Sorry BM :laugh:But seriously what if this kid asks for 8 5 mil ,then what??

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If he puts up 40 goals and 70-80 points, he is easily getting 7 million. If he cools down, I could see them aiming for 5-6. Whether he takes it, who knows?

He is not an offer sheet threat. The only way he is an offer sheet threat is if the Senators cannot or will not pay him what he is worth on the UFA market. In which case, they'd trade him at the draft, similar to what happened between Boston and Dougie Hamilton.

Offer sheets only work if a team is willing to offer more than the other team is willing to pay. The reason they were such a threat this off season is because teams like Boston and Chicago at the team were in cap trouble. Ottawa has the cap space to match any realistic offer to Hoffman. If they cannot match a realistic offer to him because of a supposed "internal budget" they'd trade him for a better return than what they'd get in an offer sheet.

The only offer sheet that would work would be one that nets Ottawa multiple first round draft picks, and no team is going to give up that much for Hoffman. Weber in his prime was the last player to get that treatment.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Everyone has been signed so far, and we have loads of cap space. There really is no reason to fear otherwise is there?
His age ,him being forced into a deal he didnt want in Arb.Not saying we couldnt afford him but iam worried he may go for the grand slam contract .And iam a little uncertain on giving him the 7 to 8mil per over a term of 7 or 8 years ,that,s all

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
His age ,him being forced into a deal he didnt want in Arb.Not saying we couldnt afford him but iam worried he may go for the grand slam contract .And iam a little uncertain on giving him the 7 to 8mil per over a term of 7 or 8 years ,that,s all

May go for?

If he scores 40 goals, he better go for the grand slam contract, because he has earned it.

People can't have it both ways.

You can't constantly hype prospects then as soon as they turn out say they aren't worth the money and pin your hopes on the next shiny toy...

Well you could, but it's dumb.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
If someone offersheeted Hoffman, I'd laugh all the way to the bank.

Any offer Ottawa doesn't/can't match would be in the range of many, many, 1st round picks, which is hardly a big loss either. The team has some depth on LW if we do lose Hoffman. MacArthur, Michalek, Prince, Puempel, Lazar, etc.. isn't peanuts.

Even after two years of stellar production, Hoffman at 6-8 years is a big risk and the salary offered will reflect that reality. I'm guessing he gets something in the 35- 45 million range over 6-7 years. I don't think he'll get 7X7 but he might get close.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If someone offersheeted Hoffman, I'd laugh all the way to the bank.

Any offer Ottawa doesn't/can't match would be in the range of many, many, 1st round picks, which is hardly a big loss either. The team has some depth on LW if we do lose Hoffman. MacArthur, Michalek, Prince, Puempel, Lazar, etc.. isn't peanuts.

Even after two years of stellar production, Hoffman at 6-8 years is a big risk and the salary offered will reflect that reality. I'm guessing he gets something in the 35- 45 million range over 6-7 years. I don't think he'll get 7X7 but he might get close.

Idk.

If he got a max compensation contract as an Offer sheet, we'd get 4 first round picks but that's bloody unlikely. More likely, he'd be in one of the next two tiers; 5.4-7.3 = 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 7.3-9.1 = two 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

So, a 1st, 2nd, and third from a contending team is not a big haul. Heck, even from a lottery team that could end up as a loss for us. Two firsts is more reasonable, but still not a homerun for what appears to be a 1st line LW unless one of those 1st round picks is a top 5 pick, and even then it could turn out poorly depending on the draft year.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Idk.

If he got a max compensation contract as an Offer sheet, we'd get 4 first round picks but that's bloody unlikely. More likely, he'd be in one of the next two tiers; 5.4-7.3 = 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 7.3-9.1 = two 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

So, a 1st, 2nd, and third from a contending team is not a big haul. Heck, even from a lottery team that could end up as a loss for us. Two firsts is more reasonable, but still not a homerun for what appears to be a 1st line LW unless one of those 1st round picks is a top 5 pick, and even then it could turn out poorly depending on the draft year.

7.3 Ottawa matches as soon as the fax is received.

Is anyone really going to pay 7.4 million for Hoffman and give up those picks? I can't think of any team willing to risk that.

Especially when everyone is pressed against the cap. There are easier targets out there like Anaheim who have serious cap/cash issues.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hoffman is gonna get paid regardless if its us or another team looking for a top 6 option.

Man it feels good always believing in Hoffman, and being one of the guys that was furious management let him test waivers.

That Management decision sure looks BAD now doesn't it!? Makes me wonder about the management of this team.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
we have quite a bit of money coming off the books if we dont resign phillips and wiercioch we can take hoffmans deal and add 4 million right there. only issue with that is we will probably have to get creative in terms of adding a defenceman

Neil's contract will be done too.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Neil and Phillips contract ends after this season. Wiercioch is a rfa after this season. We could always just not qualify him and let him walk. I would rather trade him to get an asset back. If that is not possible, then i wouldn't be upset if we just do not qualify him. So that is like 6 million off the books to give to Hoffman.

Of course we have to re-sign Wideman, Chiasson, Ceci, Prince and Dziurzynski as well. I doubt any of these player get that much though.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Unless I'm mistaken, the Sens have the option to file for arbitration correct? (Hoffman filed for it this summer)

Which means if they don't have an extension in place for July 1st, they could protect him from being offersheeted by doing so.

The flip side to that is Hoffman could elect to take a one year settlement, and be a UFA the following summer.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
7.3 Ottawa matches as soon as the fax is received.

Is anyone really going to pay 7.4 million for Hoffman and give up those picks? I can't think of any team willing to risk that.

Especially when everyone is pressed against the cap. There are easier targets out there like Anaheim who have serious cap/cash issues.

Ottawa has 6.8 mil in cap space, + 2 mil that Hoffman currently makes. 7.3 puts them tight to the cap with Ceci, Wideman to sign that year, and Zibanejad the very next.

You're right that we likely match, but we certainly don't want to pay him that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad