Mike Babcock Elite Coach Appreciation thread

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Fighting back from 3-1 is not swinging? While missing our most important centre for 3 games?
In the 3 games we won in the playoffs, we held the Bergeron/Marchand line to 0 points.
Did Babcock suddenly get smart and then stupid in 24 hours? The players need to assume ownership as well.

Coaching is not the issue. We've been talking about us being contenders or not all season. We've been talking about the own rentals aren't the right own rentals. We've been talking about the D. We've been talking about more of a speedy, puck hound, in on the forecheck compliment players required. Not many wanted to listen.

Reactions: cookie and SAMCRO44

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Babcock was hired to be fired! As it is with any coach.

Let's just hope that there is at least one Stanley Cup championship in between these two coaching events.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
In the 3 games we won in the playoffs, we held the Bergeron/Marchand line to 0 points.
Did Babcock suddenly get smart and then stupid in 24 hours? The players need to assume ownership as well.

Coaching is not the issue. We've been talking about us being contenders or not all season. We've been talking about the own rentals aren't the right own rentals. We've been talking about the D. We've been talking about more of a speedy, puck hound, in on the forecheck compliment players required. Not many wanted to listen.
Much easier to blame the coach especially if he's not doing exactly what I want him to do.
It's funny but when the rebuild started and Shanny co talked about patience people seemed to understand, but maybe some fans thought that meant being patient for a couple days?

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Much easier to blame the coach especially if he's not doing exactly what I want him to do.
It's funny but when the rebuild started and Shanny co talked about patience people seemed to understand, but maybe some fans thought that meant being patient for a couple days?
I tried to rapid-fire likes at you but to no avail.

Reactions: saltming

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Babcock is a great coach but that certainly does not exempt him from questioning and criticism from the fan base.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
This will be an interesting year for Babcock. High regular season point totals, young guys maturing, some changes from Dubas (whatever that turns out to be), and expectations higher than a first-round exit from fans

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Imagine what would have happened if we started the series on time, Komarov was a healthy scratch from the get go, we played out fastest skaters like Vegas did, Andersen had adequate rest throughout the season, and Babcock challenged goals that shouldn’t have counted.

Babcock may be a great coach, but he is a f***ing dumbass sometimes...

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Babcock is a great coach and we're lucky to have him. The people who feel the need to criticize him in an appreciation thread need to grow-up.

Reactions: stickty111

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I'm extremely happy Mike is our coach.

Also it's kind of odd how much I love watching his interviews and listening to him speak.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Why do you think all of these accomplishments are due to the coach, and not due to the roster?
It's a mix. Who's helping develop that roster though?
Nobody should think all of these accomplishments are due to the coach but there are some who think that all the accomplishments are to do the roster in spite of the coach.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Always looking for someone to blame when it's not one thing but a combination of many things.
If we had missed the playoffs last year to Tampa/NY, the view would probably be different this year. The narrative would be, oh well, it's our first playoffs. 105 point team.
There is still work to be done.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
what do you mean? your reply was to him originally

I replied to someone else regarding Babcock
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...eneral-manager.2495285/page-17#post-146289703

then follow the links:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...eneral-manager.2495285/page-17#post-146289749

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...eneral-manager.2495285/page-17#post-146289829

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...eneral-manager.2495285/page-17#post-146290041

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...eneral-manager.2495285/page-17#post-146293685

in comes @Cor
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...eneral-manager.2495285/page-17#post-146294009

I guess from the conversation before he chimed in; he felt I was putting all the blame on Babcock

then I replied
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...eneral-manager.2495285/page-17#post-146301237

then he replied again
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...eneral-manager.2495285/page-17#post-146304209

and now you are all caught up.

If from the posts above it seems that I am blaming Babcock alone then I guess I might have to rephrase the way I post; if that is not how it comes across then some people might need to review how they understand other posters post.

Reactions: IPS

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Some, but he's still a fantastic coach.

Literally no one is perfect. Everyone has areas to work on. Babs is elite at what he does though.

I guess we have different definitions of what "elite" means. Babs is a good coach; however, I wouldn't call him elite.

Leafs did not even breakout of their own zone properly the entire playoffs; it wasn't just a few games; then we had these stretch passes throughout the playoffs and in the end they burned us in Game 7 like they did in the first 2 games.

If players are to be blamed for making dumbheaded plays than coaching staff should also take some of the blame for not correcting the mistakes or thinking of new strategies (for example: breakouts; scoring on oppositions' weak lines etc...)

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I guess we have different definitions of what "elite" means. Babs is a good coach; however, I wouldn't call him elite.

Leafs did not even breakout of their own zone properly the entire playoffs; it wasn't just a few games; then we had these stretch passes throughout the playoffs and in the end they burned us in Game 7 like they did in the first 2 games.

If players are to be blamed for making dumbheaded plays than coaching staff should also take some of the blame for not correcting the mistakes or thinking of new strategies (for example: breakouts; scoring on oppositions' weak lines etc...)

YUP, elite:
Babs is the only coach to gain entry to the Triple Gold Club, having guided the Red Wings to the Stanley Cup in 2008, as well as leading Team Canada to gold at the IIHF Ice Hockey World Championships in 2004, the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver and the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. Babcock is the only coach to win six (or even five) distinct national or international titles, guiding Canada to gold at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey and the IIHF World Junior Championships in 1997 and the University of Lethbridge to the CIS University Cup in 1994.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

Would you have called Gallant "elite" last season?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
YUP, elite:
Babs is the only coach to gain entry to the Triple Gold Club, having guided the Red Wings to the Stanley Cup in 2008, as well as leading Team Canada to gold at the IIHF Ice Hockey World Championships in 2004, the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver and the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. Babcock is the only coach to win six (or even five) distinct national or international titles, guiding Canada to gold at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey and the IIHF World Junior Championships in 1997 and the University of Lethbridge to the CIS University Cup in 1994.

Could you look at the roster that babcock coached for the events you have listed and then compare it to the competitors for each event?

For me in sports:

• If a coach loses with a good team -> Bad Coach
  • If a coach is average with an average team -> Average Coach
  • If a coach loses with a bad team -> Average Coach
  • If a coach wins with a good team -> Good Coach
  • If a coach wins with an average team -> Excellent Coach (close to elite; depending on who average team goes against i.e. quality of the opposition team)
  • BUT
  • If a coach wins with a bad team -> Coaching Genius/ Elite Coach

Which category do you think Babcock fits?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Would you have called Gallant "elite" last season?

Gallant was pretty good the season before last year; was fired and now is doing pretty good again.

The question actually is:

On paper is VGK -> average, good, bad, elite?

and on ice is VGK -> average, good, bad, elite?

after you have answered the two questions above; take the average of that and may be that was Gallant is?

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Could you look at the roster that babcock coached for the events you have listed and then compare it to the competitors for each event?

For me in sports:

• If a coach loses with a good team -> Bad Coach
  • If a coach is average with an average team -> Average Coach
  • If a coach loses with a bad team -> Average Coach
  • If a coach wins with a good team -> Good Coach
  • If a coach wins with an average team -> Excellent Coach (close to elite; depending on who average team goes against i.e. quality of the opposition team)
  • BUT
  • If a coach wins with a bad team -> Coaching Genius/ Elite Coach

Which category do you think Babcock fits?

Elite

Reactions: stickty111

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Gallant was pretty good the season before last year; was fired and now is doing pretty good again.

The question actually is:

On paper is VGK -> average, good, bad, elite?

and on ice is VGK -> average, good, bad, elite?

after you have answered the two questions above; take the average of that and may be that was Gallant is?

I think gallant is no better or worse than how he was when he was fired in florida.

I think the biggest difference is he has a team conpletly dialed in and listening to him and in florida he didnt.

Is that his fault one team is dialed in and one team wasnt? Or is it a case of happistance?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad