Mid Season 2015 NHL Draft Discussion - Candidates at halfway point

Status
Not open for further replies.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Anyone watch the subway series last night? I personally thought Lawson Crouse looked amazing. Really showed off his 2 way smarts, absolutely love what he brjngs to the table at such a young age.

Ace88*

I really don't think you have been watching or watched Crouse closely enough to say that, his play away from the puck is his major strength and his deadly release is his major weapon.

To be honest, perhaps you are right and I haven't watched him enough. I've watched a smattering of Fronts games and was at the Fronts-Steelheads game early in October and Crouse was mostly invisible when he wasn't turning the puck over. I caught him idly watching puck battles where he should've been more engaged, and he floated a lot. The Fronts did rocked in that game, but Crouse did not display anything notable. I should admit that I was mostly there to watch Sean Day, so perhaps another live viewing or two are in order with a focus on Crouse--like i said, i'll be more than happy to eat crow if Crouse turns it up.

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
Anyone watch the subway series last night? I personally thought Lawson Crouse looked amazing. Really showed off his 2 way smarts, absolutely love what he brjngs to the table at such a young age.

I was at the game last night and wrote summary of what I saw from him and a bunch of other players in the super series thread on the prospect board if you want to take a look! Really like his game and what he brings to the ice! Your right in that he brings a lot to the ice in an attractive package of size and smarts. He may not have the highest upside in terms of offense, but I absolutely believe he can be a terrific complimentary winger up and down the line-up. Think Andrew Ladd! Definitely one of the safer prospects in the upcoming draft!

Also watched a lot of Dylan Strome last night and came away unimpressed with his skating, felt like he was a step behind actually! But his size and hockey IQ are rare together, so if he's able to improve his first couple steps and generate more burst up the middle than he has a shot to be a good one! If he doesn't improve his skating, than there's no way I can project him to be a first line center or top 5-10 picks. For those that have seen him, can you comment on his skating?

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
I was at the game last night and wrote summary of what I saw from him and a bunch of other players in the super series thread on the prospect board if you want to take a look! Really like his game and what he brings to the ice! Your right in that he brings a lot to the ice in an attractive package of size and smarts. He may not have the highest upside in terms of offense, but I absolutely believe he can be a terrific complimentary winger up and down the line-up. Think Andrew Ladd! Definitely one of the safer prospects in the upcoming draft!

Also watched a lot of Dylan Strome last night and came away unimpressed with his skating, felt like he was a step behind actually! But his size and hockey IQ are rare together, so if he's able to improve his first couple steps and generate more burst up the middle than he has a shot to be a good one! If he doesn't improve his skating, than there's no way I can project him to be a first line center or top 5-10 picks. For those that have seen him, can you comment on his skating?

For me it's Stromes smarts that separate him from most guys this year. His skating has been rapidly improving these past few years, wouldn't call it a major strength but it certainly isn't a weakness. Most guys are projectingm that his skating stride will continue to gain more power, shouldn't be any issue at the pro level IMO. I've seen Lawson play live a lot and really love so many things he does, I just find it funny when guys make comments that are further from the truth, for example, saying Crouse doesn't have a brain in his head when that's actually one of his major strengths. I'll check it out in a bit and let you know what I think!

Ace88*

Thats actually not what i said. I said he doesnt have the brain to use his physical gifts. As in, his hockey iq isnt as proficient as his physical tools. He can be a much better player.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Thats actually not what i said. I said he doesnt have the brain to use his physical gifts. As in, his hockey iq isnt as proficient as his physical tools. He can be a much better player.

You also attacked someone's list who puts in hard work. Maybe we are both wrong? You made the statement, I disagree with it 100 percent.

Ace88*

Lol "attacked" okay settle down there. Clearly you dislike what i have to say. Get over it.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
First list of the season

1. Connor McDavid
2. Jack Eichel
3. Noah Hanifin
4. Oliver Kylington
5. Matt Barzal
6. Mitch Marner
7. Pavel Zacha
8. Zach Werenski
9. Dylan Strome
10. Evegeni Svechnikov
11. Travis Konecny
12. Daniel Sprong
13. Mikko Rantanen
14. Kyle Connor
15. Jordan Greenway
16. Colin White
17. Brock Boeser
18. Lawson Crouse
19. Flilip Chlapik
20. Jeremey Roy
21. Blake Speers
22. Jesper Lindgren
23. Jeremy Bracco
24. Nikita Korostelev
25. Rasmus Andersson
26. Jansen Harkins
27. Roope Hintz
28. Nick Merkley
29. Jakub Zboril
30. Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson

HM: Matt Spencer, Dennis Yan, Ivan Provorov, Nicolas Roy
On Watch: Jens Lööke, Jacob Larsson, Alexander Dergachev, Kevin Stenlund

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
First list of the season

1. Connor McDavid
2. Jack Eichel
3. Noah Hanifin
4. Oliver Kylington
5. Matt Barzal
6. Mitch Marner
7. Pavel Zacha
8. Zach Werenski
9. Dylan Strome
10. Evegeni Svechnikov
11. Travis Konecny
12. Daniel Sprong
13. Mikko Rantanen
14. Kyle Connor
15. Jordan Greenway
16. Colin White
17. Brock Boeser
18. Lawson Crouse
19. Flilip Chlapik
20. Jeremey Roy
21. Blake Speers
22. Jesper Lindgren
23. Jeremy Bracco
24. Nikita Korostelev
25. Rasmus Andersson
26. Jansen Harkins
27. Roope Hintz
28. Nick Merkley
29. Jakub Zboril
30. Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson

HM: Matt Spencer, Dennis Yan, Ivan Provorov, Nicolas Roy
On Watch: Jens Lööke, Jacob Larsson, Alexander Dergachev, Kevin Stenlund

Thanks for posting this.

Jeremy Roy is way too low, IMO. I'd have Strome higher as well, and Provorov in the 1st round.

Love Svechnikov in the top 10, as well as Speers in the 1st round.

Ace88*

I do not have any idea how anybody could have J Roy or that low or Provorov not even in the 1st. I like Werenski and Svech in the top 10, don't like konecny or sprong that high, i really like Chlapik but not quite *that* high, everyone else is maybe within 3 spots of where i'd have them

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
It still early, So there's time for Roy to move up with me.

His position in this draft kind of reminds me of Michael Del Zotto in 2008. Where he has some fan fare and very good offensive tools, But he's not up there with what seem to be the consensus top 3D in Hannifin, Kylington and Werenski now.

Provorov's in a similar situation. Cracking the top 20 may be difficult, But we'll see.

Interesting feedback though guys. :thumbu:

Ace88*

Provorov isn't really in a similar situation, he's hands down the best defender as a 17 year old on a very very strong Brandon team.

Jeremy Roy is also twice the defender Del Zotto was in his draft year. Del Zotto can't spell defense, J Roy is already a very good 2 way guy. He's also much smarter than MDZ. If you ask me he's the 3rd best dman available in this draft and Werenski and Provorov are nipping his heels. Personally i flip a coin on those two guys for 4th best.

Terrence

Aug 3, 2010
If I had to rank the defensemen in this draft, it would look like this:

1) Hanifin
2) Kylington
3A) Werenski
3B) J. Roy
5) Zboril
6) Provorov

Don't think Provorov has shown me enough to be considered with Werenski and Roy to this point. But to be fair, Brandon has got blown out in 2/3 games I've watched so far this year, where the whole team looked brutal.

Last edited:

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

As good as he might seem to be in his all around game, I wouldn't take Crouse in the top ten. To me the first round is where you are supposed to pick up your offensive weapons, unless there is a sure fire superstar two way Damn on the table. Defense can be found rather easily in later rounds. I would honestly like to see Svechnikov if we draft a power forward type guy in the first round. I see him as a Crouse with less defensive prowess but a much better offensive upside. What you said about Strome was correct, he doesn't have blazing speed or shiftiness that makes a great skater. His strength is his vision, hockey IQ, and playmaking ability, and he also has the shot to score some goals. I see him as a playmaking top line guy who will not have elite goal scoring ability, but will put up tons of assists. He projects quite easily as a first line centre to me.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Provorov isn't really in a similar situation, he's hands down the best defender as a 17 year old on a very very strong Brandon team.

Jeremy Roy is also twice the defender Del Zotto was in his draft year. Del Zotto can't spell defense, J Roy is already a very good 2 way guy. He's also much smarter than MDZ. If you ask me he's the 3rd best dman available in this draft and Werenski and Provorov are nipping his heels. Personally i flip a coin on those two guys for 4th best.

I can't remember if it was CSS or ISS that ranked Jeremy Roy as a B level prospect (2nd round) this month. On top of this they still had Nic Roy as a first round guy. That was possibly the worst prospect watch I've seen in a while. J Roy imo could crack top ten of he can keep his play up, and he has the ability to challenge Kylington for second dman chosen.

Last edited:

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
Eichel is tearing up the NCAA in his freshman year with 15 points in 8 games. Guy is a beast. A nice little consolation prize for the team that picks 2nd overall. :amazed:

Best American prospect since Modano?

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I can't remember if it was CSS or ISS that ranked Jeremy Roy as a B level prospect (2nd round) this month. On top of this they still had Nic Roy as a first round guy. That was possibly the worst prospect watch I've seen in a while. J Roy imo could crack top ten of he can keep his play up, and he has the ability to challenge Kylington for second dman chosen.

Maybe they just mixed up the first names before publishing? ;)

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Eichel is tearing up the NCAA in his freshman year with 15 points in 8 games. Guy is a beast. A nice little consolation prize for the team that picks 2nd overall. :amazed:

Best American prospect since Modano?

That's what people are saying, and even throwing in Modano as a style comparison as well. Similar to the situation as McDavid, best prospect since Crosby, and often compared to him in style of play.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
I just had an idea...I don't know how outlandish it is though. If the Leafs are the richest team in the NHL, and there's no rule on how much money you can put into management, why don't we literally just buy Detroit's scouting staff from them considering how good they are at finding late round gems and such.

McGuiresMonsters

Oct 31, 2011
Toronto
McDavid actually reminds me of Spezza with better skating. Which is scary good because Spezza is a career PPG and would have been even behe hadn't been injured so often.

Ace88*

How does Provorov's skating compare to J Roy's?

Roy is much smoother and flashier and probably has better edgework, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a more effective skater. Roy isn't weak on his skates by any means, but he utterly lacks Provorov's ability to hunker down, bite into the ice and protect the puck or knock guys off the puck. Provorov's strong as an ox in the corners and a beast on the boards, and a big reason for that is his ability to stay upright and not lose balance.

They are both good to great skaters, but Provorov's helps his game more than i believe Roy's helps his.

I just had an idea...I don't know how outlandish it is though. If the Leafs are the richest team in the NHL, and there's no rule on how much money you can put into management, why don't we literally just buy Detroit's scouting staff from them considering how good they are at finding late round gems and such.

This is a ridiculously absurd idea. There's competitive edge, and then there's poor sportsmanship. A team wouldn't do this to another team out of principle alone.

Also, in the last ten years i dare you to compare the Wings' late round success to the Leafs' late round success. You will be very surprised.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Roy is much smoother and flashier and probably has better edgework, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a more effective skater. Roy isn't weak on his skates by any means, but he utterly lacks Provorov's ability to hunker down, bite into the ice and protect the puck or knock guys off the puck. Provorov's strong as an ox in the corners and a beast on the boards, and a big reason for that is his ability to stay upright and not lose balance.

They are both good to great skaters, but Provorov's helps his game more than i believe Roy's helps his.

This is a ridiculously absurd idea. There's competitive edge, and then there's poor sportsmanship. A team wouldn't do this to another team out of principle alone.

Also, in the last ten years i dare you to compare the Wings' late round success to the Leafs' late round success. You will be very surprised

This.

We've done alright finding some players after the 3rd round. Mainly out of necessity cause we keep moving 2nd round picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad