Mid Season 2015 NHL Draft Discussion - Candidates at halfway point

Status
Not open for further replies.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Strome and/or J.Roy would be awesome.

Obviously, would be happy with Marner, Barzal and some other guys.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Filip Chlapik is a guy to keep an eye on in the Q. Came over from the Czech Republic this year to join Charlottetown. He's currently leading Charlottetown in points, ahead of Daniel Sprong and he's tied with Sprong for the lead in goals. He's also displaying a decent ability to win faceoff's as he's currently 27th in the league for FOW's.

I believe he's playing with Sprong on the top line but I could be mistaken (maybe QMJHLfollower could correct me on that?). Charlottetown captain Ryan MacKinnon has described his hands and on-ice vision as "special" and "second to none" which is pretty high praise. He's getting pegged as having strong first round chances.

He's 6 foot 1 and 183, so he's not undersized which is nice.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I wonder if Koenecny is gonna take a tumble in the draft. He's struggling to put up points, he's not really improving defensively (he was -3 in an 8-5 win over Guelph yesterday...) and he's not exactly big like Vor has been pointing out.

Those of you who have been talking about how he's not top ten material might be on to something...

Ace88*

Filip Chlapik is a guy to keep an eye on in the Q. Came over from the Czech Republic this year to join Charlottetown. He's currently leading Charlottetown in points, ahead of Daniel Sprong and he's tied with Sprong for the lead in goals. He's also displaying a decent ability to win faceoff's as he's currently 27th in the league for FOW's.

I believe he's playing with Sprong on the top line but I could be mistaken (maybe QMJHLfollower could correct me on that?). Charlottetown captain Ryan MacKinnon has described his hands and on-ice vision as "special" and "second to none" which is pretty high praise. He's getting pegged as having strong first round chances.

I'm loving what Chlapik is doing. I have him pegged as a riser.

He is this year's David Pastrnak. Highly skilled, not overly well known, and little to no hype--which i attribute possibly to nationality; Czechs lately are either getting none (Pastrnak, Vrana, Chlapik) or too much (Zacha, Sekac). I think he'll end up going late 1st round to a good team and in a year or two everyone will be wondering how that happened. Not sure he'll end up as a centre though.

Ace88*

I wonder if Koenecny is gonna take a tumble in the draft. He's struggling to put up points, he's not really improving defensively (he was -3 in an 8-5 win over Guelph yesterday...) and he's not exactly big like Vor has been pointing out.

Those of you who have been talking about how he's not top ten material might be on to something...

i dont want to say i told you so because there's still PLENTY of time for him to turn it around and this could be little more than a long slump, but right now the odds are definitely against him sticking in the top 10. He's been playing scared and timid.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
i dont want to say i told you so because there's still PLENTY of time for him to turn it around and this could be little more than a long slump, but right now the odds are definitely against him sticking in the top 10. He's been playing scared and timid.

I'll always give credit where credit is due, even if it means pointing out how I was wrong. And so far it's looking like you have all the right in the world to say I told you so, and I am so far quite wrong. He's been a major dissapointment so far.

Terrence

Aug 3, 2010
Chlapik's two-way play and hockey I.Q. is very good. Definitely a guy I like in the late 1st/early 2nd.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
I was thinking what this team could really use is a guy who can find the open spots and fire one timers.
We don't have anyone on the team who can do that.
I think it would compliment the team nicely.
Are there any trigger men like that in the draft?

Ace88*

I was thinking what this team could really use is a guy who can find the open spots and fire one timers.

Lol i disagree with that, but Crouse is sort of that player but he hasn't shown it really this season. Bittner to an extent but he's dropping ever so gradually. There aren't really any JVR type guys in this draft.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010

He'll be honest, I've seen a lot of Q games this year, but haven't catch Charlottetown yet. Will definitely take a close look at Chlapik, seems very interesting.

Not a first round guy, but Adam Marsh is really good at finding open spaces and scoring areas, has a really good release to go with it.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I'd guess more like 10 - 15, but who knows with this team.

We could still snag a great prospect like Svechnikov or Provorov at that range :)

Easy to go with BPA strategy when you have needs everywhere...yes even LD, there is a big drop off after Rielly, even though there is depth.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
Lol i disagree with that, but Crouse is sort of that player but he hasn't shown it really this season. Bittner to an extent but he's dropping ever so gradually. There aren't really any JVR type guys in this draft.

He'll be honest, I've seen a lot of Q games this year, but haven't catch Charlottetown yet. Will definitely take a close look at Chlapik, seems very interesting.

Not a first round guy, but Adam Marsh is really good at finding open spaces and scoring areas, has a really good release to go with it.
So there are some shooters out there. Hopefully Hunter can pickup a trigger man in the 2-3 rounds. Going to need to add some skilled wingers this year

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

I like Konecny, but, he may not be top 10 candidate. Can his game carry over to the NHL? :dunno:

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto

konechny has been benched a lot this year by Brown, he will come out of it. This is the first time since he was 6 that he has struggled playing hockey. It's a tough love approach and it will work. Everyone knows about Travis offense, it's the little things that he is learning that will make him not be a "John McFarland" type of falling prospect.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto

I really don't think you have been watching or watched Crouse closely enough to say that, his play away from the puck is his major strength and his deadly release is his major weapon.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Dylan Strome looked okay tonight in Subway, he didn't blow me away according to his hype, he looked just okay. I think he is the type to improve as he fills out and gains experience. Scouting is about making projections.

Just had this discussion on another thread, it is not who is ahead at age 17 that matters, it is who is ahead at age 20, 21, or even 22 that usually makes the best draft picks. Players that show progression as opposed to flat lining.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
We could still snag a great prospect like Svechnikov or Provorov at that range :)

Easy to go with BPA strategy when you have needs everywhere...yes even LD, there is a big drop off after Rielly, even though there is depth.

I would LOVE to have Svechnikov. If not for that Russin factor BS he would be top ten for sure.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Dylan Strome looked okay tonight in Subway, he didn't blow me away according to his hype, he looked just okay. I think he is the type to improve as he fills out and gains experience. Scouting is about making projections.

Just had this discussion on another thread, it is not who is ahead at age 17 that matters, it is who is ahead at age 20, 21, or even 22 that usually makes the best draft picks. Players that show progression as opposed to flat lining.

Can progression take place in more than just points? Or progression that determines success only limited to points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad