Microsoft Xbox Discussion Part II

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
It would be converted into GPU time. A year used to convert into 4 months but maybe 3 or 2 now?
Oooh, I didn’t know that or know the situation you were really in. Best of luck. I, thankfully, renewed for 3 years back a couple of months ago because I was worried about something like this happening.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I finally got around to playing Otogi: Myth of Demons. I was genuinely worried that this game would not hold up, because I can honestly say I have no nostalgia glasses for my old beloved games, if I play them again I cant fool myself into thinking they dont suck. Had this problem going back to the GTA 3 trilogy. They're not good anymore.

This game I'm happy to report, holds up. Excellent hack and slash action game with fantastic music, interesting enemies and environments, great voice acting, and amazing destruction and physics.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

TMNT-Hero-Image-207d8c59b200297d3a67-1-84787a4ed8f75c1a26e6.jpg

Reactions: SPV

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I finally got around to playing Otogi: Myth of Demons. I was genuinely worried that this game would not hold up, because I can honestly say I have no nostalgia glasses for my old beloved games, if I play them again I cant fool myself into thinking they dont suck. Had this problem going back to the GTA 3 trilogy. They're not good anymore.

This game I'm happy to report, holds up. Excellent hack and slash action game with fantastic music, interesting enemies and environments, great voice acting, and amazing destruction and physics.
So I am at the final boss (tbh I will probably need to level up to beat him) and Im glad to say its just as good as I remember it.

My advice for people playing this game. Save often, the emulation is pretty accurate however it crashes often. I beat like 1/4 of the game in my first sitting and forgot this game only has manual saves.

Also, Theres an extremely obscure mechanic with your starting weapon that the game doesnt say for some reason. When it breaks, repairing it increases its stats. So it seems stupidly expensive to repair it compared to other weapons but in reality once you repair it twice it becomes unbreakable and its stats are the second best in the game, after the iconic moonlight sword (which you unfortunately need to 100% the game to get in this game). Theres still reasons to use other weapons due to their special effects though.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
So I am at the final boss (tbh I will probably need to level up to beat him) and Im glad to say its just as good as I remember it.

My advice for people playing this game. Save often, the emulation is pretty accurate however it crashes often. I beat like 1/4 of the game in my first sitting and forgot this game only has manual saves.

Also, Theres an extremely obscure mechanic with your starting weapon that the game doesnt say for some reason. When it breaks, repairing it increases its stats. So it seems stupidly expensive to repair it compared to other weapons but in reality once you repair it twice it becomes unbreakable and its stats are the second best in the game, after the iconic moonlight sword (which you unfortunately need to 100% the game to get in this game). Theres still reasons to use other weapons due to their special effects though.
Crazy thing about this final boss is i created a separate save file when i reached it. My save file having not beat the boss is 5 hours. My save file having beat the final boss is 9 hours. It was brutal. Ironically, the final boss was insanely easy for me as a kid, because I got a special weapon that kills every enemy in one hit. I didnt get it this time (its actually kind of difficult) and I enjoy the fight a lot more.

Also I didn't get the true good ending. I believe you have to 100% the game to get it. Its actually quite easy and i even did it when i was a kid.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
In the early 2000s I chose to support Microsoft and the XBOX (never wanted to support sony after their tactics against the dreamcast) but my god they have no clue about what they are doing. The first Xbox was a decent console but it wasn't very fun to play outside of Halo, but it was their first console so I gave them a pass.

Xbox 360 was absolutely fun and fantastic until the later end of that console generation where they seemed to stopped caring about everything other than the connect, but the new console generation was ahead and the focus was on that right? Sure I gave them a pass.

Then came the XBONE which was an absolute failure out of the gate with their "Lets be a media set top box" strategy which NO ONE needed it to be! But ok they tried to go down the Nintendo Wii route again with connect and that was a failure... again... well at least they were trying something different right? Ok I gave them a pass but they seemed to have turned the corner stripping future models of these issues. Surely they will re-focus and push out a better library right? Nope.. they seemling gave up on the Xbox one and the platform was propped and supported by third party games. So here we go back to the same "Microsoft is focusing on the next console" that I heard towards the last three years of Xbox 360.

Xbox Series X was introduced, the focus was it will be the place to not only play third party games but they are now focusing on getting good exclusives too. The hardware specs are strong and gamepass will be standard and native. Ok amazing, I go and buy an xbox at launch! Eventhough it had a barebones launch it was ok because I have been through slow launches in the past and there was a global pandemic; I give them a pass. It's three years in now and there is still NOTHING to sink my teeth into.

Halo was dead on arrival (this was truly heartbreaking), Seems like every week there is news of a delayed game but even when games come out they feel rushed! Redfall was an absolute disaster! Now, even third parties are making decisions not to support xbox with select games as it doesn't make sense! I remember when the 360 got Final Fantasy, it was amazing to see the progress in Square releasing a game for a console that wasn't Playstation, but now we are going backwards. The fact that they cannot include basic features in Forza is my last straw.

This company has come out basically admitting they have given up on Consoles 3 years into this very young generation of console gaming? Pathetic. F*** you Microsoft, you are going back to the 90s where most people who want to play your exclusive games will just end up buying a PC and subbing to game pass and you are ok with that.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
What are the tactics Sony did against Dreamcast? Generally curious. It's gotta be something extremely heinous to instead go to Microsoft, who we all know is an upstanding company with great business ethics.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
In the early 2000s I chose to support Microsoft and the XBOX (never wanted to support sony after their tactics against the dreamcast) but my god they have no clue about what they are doing. The first Xbox was a decent console but it wasn't very fun to play outside of Halo, but it was their first console so I gave them a pass.

Xbox 360 was absolutely fun and fantastic until the later end of that console generation where they seemed to stopped caring about everything other than the connect, but the new console generation was ahead and the focus was on that right? Sure I gave them a pass.

Then came the XBONE which was an absolute failure out of the gate with their "Lets be a media set top box" strategy which NO ONE needed it to be! But ok they tried to go down the Nintendo Wii route again with connect and that was a failure... again... well at least they were trying something different right? Ok I gave them a pass but they seemed to have turned the corner stripping future models of these issues. Surely they will re-focus and push out a better library right? Nope.. they seemling gave up on the Xbox one and the platform was propped and supported by third party games. So here we go back to the same "Microsoft is focusing on the next console" that I heard towards the last three years of Xbox 360.

Xbox Series X was introduced, the focus was it will be the place to not only play third party games but they are now focusing on getting good exclusives too. The hardware specs are strong and gamepass will be standard and native. Ok amazing, I go and buy an xbox at launch! Eventhough it had a barebones launch it was ok because I have been through slow launches in the past and there was a global pandemic; I give them a pass. It's three years in now and there is still NOTHING to sink my teeth into.

Halo was dead on arrival (this was truly heartbreaking), Seems like every week there is news of a delayed game but even when games come out they feel rushed! Redfall was an absolute disaster! Now, even third parties are making decisions not to support xbox with select games as it doesn't make sense! I remember when the 360 got Final Fantasy, it was amazing to see the progress in Square releasing a game for a console that wasn't Playstation, but now we are going backwards. The fact that they cannot include basic features in Forza is my last straw.

This company has come out basically admitting they have given up on Consoles 3 years into this very young generation of console gaming? Pathetic. F*** you Microsoft, you are going back to the 90s where most people who want to play your exclusive games will just end up buying a PC and subbing to game pass and you are ok with that.

Microsoft has said they don’t care about console sales for awhile now, well before 3 years ago. They don’t care how you play them as long as you subscribe to their gamepass. It’s making them boatloads of money.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Microsoft has said they don’t care about console sales for awhile now, well before 3 years ago. They don’t care how you play them as long as you subscribe to their gamepass. It’s making them boatloads of money.

They don't care about console sales because they don't need console sales to survive. doesn't the majority of their money come from windows?

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021

Absolutely Microsoft is fine with you buying a PC and subbing to Game Pass. They lose approximately $100 for every Xbox Series X. They make money on you buying games, or better yet, subscribing to their subscription service.

Xbox also does have a decent list of games/exclusives for the Series X. And they’re about to launch the biggest game of the generation in a week.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Absolutely Microsoft is fine with you buying a PC and subbing to Game Pass. They lose approximately $100 for every Xbox Series X. They make money on you buying games, or better yet, subscribing to their subscription service.

Xbox also does have a decent list of games/exclusives for the Series X. And they’re about to launch the biggest game of the generation in a week.

I don't think there's any doubt that they'd prefer to sell consoles to their existing customers though. If they lose too many of their console customers to PC, I think it could become a problem for them.

While they lose money on the initial console sale itself, they should be able to more than make up for that over the life of the console by charging fees to play online that don't exist on PC, selling accessories/controllers and getting a cut of each game/DLC that they sell outside of Game Pass.

Another benefit of getting you into their console ecosystem is that you're now locked in, unless you want to spend $500 on a different console, you're probably going to be a customer for the entire generation. But if you're just a PC Game Pass subscribers, you could leave at any moment and start spending money on Steam or EGS instead.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
I don't think there's any doubt that they'd prefer to sell consoles to their existing customers though. If they lose too many of their console customers to PC, I think it could become a problem for them.

While they lose money on the initial console sale itself, they should be able to more than make up for that over the life of the console by charging fees to play online that don't exist on PC, selling accessories/controllers and getting a cut of each game/DLC that they sell outside of Game Pass.

Another benefit of getting you into their console ecosystem is that you're now locked in, unless you want to spend $500 on a different console, you're probably going to be a customer for the entire generation. But if you're just a PC Game Pass subscribers, you could leave at any moment and start spending money on Steam or EGS instead.
They put gamepass on TVs. I find it very hard to believe they are worried about consoles.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Skeptical of how Oblivion would hold up with a remaster.. that game is fundamentally silly/schizophrenic and that's part of its core identity.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Redfall finally got the performance update. Seems to perform pretty well, with some dips. Game is in a MUCH better state than launch, though.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Redfall finally got the performance update. Seems to perform pretty well, with some dips. Game is in a MUCH better state than launch, though.
The problem with the game is that the map is empty. When I say empty I’m not saying there isn’t a bunch of collectibles or side missions, I mean that there aren’t even very many enemies on the map.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad