Microsoft Xbox Discussion - It is my nature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Put my name in the list of people that think Xbox has the worst naming system ever. Xbox One X to Xbox Series X. How does that even pass the initial brainstorm meeting?

It's weird. But not as bad as the Wii U, at least people seem to know that there even is a new console. People thought the Wii U was just some kind of peripheral for the Wii.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
My xbox one controllers and the controller charging station will still work on the XsX??? Sweet

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
So that new hard drive expansion thing they announced....

I have a basic ass Seagate 2 TB external ive been using for my xbox one. If I am to understand correctly, I can still use that to run anything that's not a series x or s game correct?

If the case I'll probably just keep that for all my non series x games and put the series x game on my hard drive

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
So that new hard drive expansion thing they announced....

I have a basic ass Seagate 2 TB external ive been using for my xbox one. If I am to understand correctly, I can still use that to run anything that's not a series x or s game correct?

If the case I'll probably just keep that for all my non series x games and put the series x game on my hard drive
Yeah you can still play backwards compatible games off an HDD from what I understand. You can even store Series X or S games on it and then transfer it to the main hard drive when you want to play.

I think that’s what I’ll do for the first year or so.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Yeah you can still play backwards compatible games off an HDD from what I understand. You can even store Series X or S games on it and then transfer it to the main hard drive when you want to play.

I think that’s what I’ll do for the first year or so.

Just like with the 1X I assume they will throw out some updates for them to work better on the Series X if it's even needed.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I don't know much about hard drives, so if we can just move series x games from an external hard drive to the internal drive, will that be instantaneous or will there be some sort of download for that? Very curious to see the logistics of that.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don't know much about hard drives, so if we can just move series x games from an external hard drive to the internal drive, will that be instantaneous or will there be some sort of download for that? Very curious to see the logistics of that.

It takes a while to move stuff from the internal to the external on the One X but not really that long.

Last edited:
Reactions: Static

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
It would depend on the speed of your external hard drive.

This whole expansion card situtation is pretty much exactly the same as the 360 HDD situation. Microsoft makes things proprietary and expensive because reasons.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I got a gamepass subscription in anticipation of Doom Eternal coming out and started playing the Gears of War 1 pc port. Man for as old as it is, it was way ahead of its time in one department, not blasting a HUD over half the screen. No health bar, no minimap, no waypoints, keeps on-screen prompts to an absolute minimum. I dont know if the original release was this minimalist, but modern games need to learn from this game.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Re-subscribing to Game Pass for Doom Eternal on October 1st. Dragonquest 11 is coming in December, I'll probably stick around for that too. Cyberpunk may dictate otherwise though :laugh:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Your standard USB 3.0 hard drive reads and writes data at around 100MB/s, or 6GB/min. Moving the 70GB Cyberpunk 2077, for example, should take a little over 11 minutes. For the sake of comparison, transferring the same game to the expensive expansion drive should take about 30 seconds.

This whole expansion card situtation is pretty much exactly the same as the 360 HDD situation. Microsoft makes things proprietary and expensive because reasons.

In this case, it seems that it was necessary. The expansion slot is a direct connection to PCIe, which is the superhighway that moves all data around a PC. The reason why the internal SSD (and all NVMe hard drives) are so fast is that they have a direct connection to PCIe. They don't have to go through a slow controller like SATA or USB 3.x. AFAIK, there's no standard external port that can do that yet. Full-blown PCs don't even have that. It's coming with USB 4.0, but that's not quite out yet, so Microsoft had to invent something in the meantime, which is why it's proprietary.

Last edited:

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Today’s Xbox Series X Previews Revealed Mostly Good News

In a preview build it took eight minutes to load assassin's creed origins from a 3.0 external HDD to the the internal SSD, and 10.5 minutes to put it back. Not bad at all.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

Very nice backwards compatibility mode. Basically all games with unlocked framerate modes are now a locked 60 fps.

Unfortunately it's another story for locked 30 fps games, but still, that's really good.

Reactions: GreytWun

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario

Very nice backwards compatibility mode. Basically all games with unlocked framerate modes are now a locked 60 fps.

Unfortunately it's another story for locked 30 fps games, but still, that's really good.

Thanks for posting. Pretty cool they have invested as much as they have to update the performance of older games on the Series X rather than just focusing only on the next gen stuff.

Looking forward to trying some of my favourite older games and see how they perform now.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Thanks for posting. Pretty cool they have invested as much as they have to update the performance of older games on the Series X rather than just focusing only on the next gen stuff.

I don't think that they needed to invest much into it, honestly. Xbox One models had AMD CPUs and AMD GPUs. Xbox Series X & S have AMD CPUs and AMD GPUs. They probably had to do very little to make the older games run on the new consoles and the more powerful hardware naturally improved the performance. It's basically a PC, and improving the performance of games by upgrading the hardware is what has always been part of the fun with PCs. It's kind of a new thing for console gamers only because, in the past, console manufacturers tended to change their architecture too much between generations. It's not just Microsoft that has kept things pretty similar between generations this time, either. The PS4 and PS5 use AMD CPUs and GPUs, as well, which is why the PS5 will offer better performance for PS4 games, too.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
I don't think that they needed to invest much into it, honestly. Xbox One models had AMD CPUs and AMD GPUs. Xbox Series X & S have AMD CPUs and AMD GPUs. They probably had to do very little to make the older games run on the new consoles and the more powerful hardware naturally improved the performance. It's basically a PC, and improving the performance of games by upgrading the hardware is what has always been part of the fun with PCs. It's kind of a new thing for console gamers only because, in the past, console manufacturers tended to change their architecture too much between generations. It's not just Microsoft that has kept things pretty similar between generations this time, either. The PS4 and PS5 use AMD CPUs and GPUs, as well, which is why the PS5 will offer better performance for PS4 games, too.

Xbox is doing this for all its generation though aren’t they? Not just Xbox One. I believe Sony is upscaling only last generation.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Another point from hands-on impressions is that Series X is even quieter than One X.

Also:
Xbox Wire@XboxWire·
2t

Starting November 10, EA Play will be available on Xbox consoles, including Xbox Series X|S, as part of
@XboxGamePass Ultimate.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Xbox is doing this for all its generation though aren’t they? Not just Xbox One. I believe Sony is upscaling only last generation.

I think that Microsoft already did most of the work when they made the Xbox One backwards compatible with Xbox and Xbox 360 games. That backwards compatibility carries over to the Series X, since the hardware is so similar. It's just like if you did a lot of work to make Windows XP games or apps run on Windows 7, you wouldn't have do much to make them run on Windows 10, as well. AFAIK, Sony didn't bother to do the work to make PS4 backwards compatible with PS1-3 games, so PS5 can't run them, either, just PS4 games because of the hardware similarity. It's a case of Microsoft's commitment to backwards compatibility in the past continuing to pay off in the present.

Last edited:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
In this case, it seems that it was necessary. The expansion slot is a direct connection to PCIe, which is the superhighway that moves all data around a PC. The reason why the internal SSD (and all NVMe hard drives) are so fast is that they have a direct connection to PCIe. They don't have to go through a slow controller like SATA or USB 3.x. AFAIK, there's no standard external port that can do that yet. Full-blown PCs don't even have that. It's coming with USB 4.0, but that's not quite out yet, so Microsoft had to invent something in the meantime, which is why it's proprietary.
The PS5 will have an m.2 slot. There's no reason Microsoft couldn't have done the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad