OT: Michigan Sports Talk Part VII: NFC North Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I think they would struggle with Wisconsin.

Their offense isn't great but it isn't just like Michigan's. They are better than U of M at every position on offense.

What I am fascinated to see is how the MSU D holds up against Penn State. I think this groups real big years are the next two. I want to see the adjustments made. They actually played better than the scoreline suggested against Notre Dame. I am curious to see how far they have progressed, they are getting better in my opinion at all positions. I am fascinated to watch them try to contain Penn State. I doubt they will, but they shouldn't get embarrassed the same way U of M just was in my opinion.

I am pretty sure Penn State just scored again while I was typing this.

Brady Hoke and Jim Harbaugh have identical records through 33 games...

Well you can think that. Michigan State has only averaged 12 more yards a game and that’s playing one of the worst defenses in football, and two teams thats on the rutgers level. I think Michigan has played two opponents that are higher then Michigan State faced. Penn State and purdue (maybe just Penn State)
Michigan State needs a new oc as bad as Michigan

Idk how that game would go, Penn State doesn’t care about that game as much as they did vs Michigan. First game to prove themselves, getting destroyed last year etc

And I’m pretty sure that Michigan under hoke only averaged about 7 more points then the opponent and 40 yards while harbaugh has averaged 19 and 144 more then his opponent all while being in a stronger big ten conference.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I knew Michigan State would have trouble with Northwestern

Harbaugh finally put peters in and I know it was against Rutgers but that probably won the game. Okorn was that bad when he was in there. Big ten is all funky now lol

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
kind of bittersweet being a Tigers fan, but good to see nonetheless.

It just solidifies that he’s one of if not the best tigers pitcher now. He loves Detroit so I don’t mind him winning elsewhere not like he left on bad terms

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It just solidifies that he’s one of if not the best tigers pitcher now. He loves Detroit so I don’t mind him winning elsewhere not like he left on bad terms

It's ridiculous people still talk about how he's iffy for the HoF. If he pitched in NY or Boston he'd be a god by now. The writers couldn't even figure out to put Lou and Tram in, though.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
It's ridiculous people still talk about how he's iffy for the HoF. If he pitched in NY or Boston he'd be a god by now. The writers couldn't even figure out to put Lou and Tram in, though.
I've never seen a single person say that to be honest.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I've never seen a single person say that to be honest.

Every time you see someone say he needs a few more strong years, they are saying it's iffy. That he doesn't have the wins, the awards, the dominant peripherals, etc. It was brought up on the baseball board here at HF not long ago.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

Verlander is going to Cooperstown. I don't care what some people on a forum believe. My biggest gripe with Trammell and Whitaker not being in is that they would be if they played for the Yankees, Redsox, Dodgers or maybe even the Cubs. Baseball writers are some of the biggest hacks around.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Very happy for JV...might be the happiest I've been for a former Detroit player winning a title for another team. I don't often pull for guys that leave Detroit but this is a special case. My sister lives in Houston so I've got a soft spot for that city so that adds to this being a special win. Don't think I'd feel as warm and fuzzy for JV if he won the World Series with Yankees or Dodgers.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
When it comes to Hall of Fame talk...did the player have a stretch of dominance? Was the player considered one of the best at their given position for a stretch of time? Did they anything unique statistically?

I think you could've put JV in the Hall of Fame without the championship and based on the fact he was very good in the playoffs and he has the regular season resume that is probably only matched by a few others in this era.

He had the "junior slump" as opposed to the sophomore slump...he had two quality seasons out of the gate and had the down year in 2008. His second act included the dominant 2011 season. I think it's been that his struggles in 2014 were due to not being healthy. He's in the 4th act of his career where he's still pitching at a high level and he's now got a championship.

He'll reach 200 wins next season if he has a typical season. If he can go another handful of seasons, you get him near the 250 range. If he pitches that long, he'll be well over 3000 strikeouts. Only 16 pitchers with over 3000. He'll be in the top 25 in strikeouts if he has another 200+ strikeout season in 2018.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Msu will probably win the big ten on the same luck they had in 2015 :laugh: Too bad it won’t mean anything cause a 2 loss msu isn’t gonna make it barring a miracle

At least it won’t be Ohio State if so

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well, with the Packers being an injury tire fire this season, it's hard to imagine them making much noise. They'll gut out a few games here and there, because they are well coached and still have some nice weapons, but yeah, hard to have much hope.

So given that, I hope the Lions pull their act together. Because I don't want the Vikings getting anywhere near the playoffs. Help me out, my Detroit friends.

It’s time to hop on the Vikings bandwagon, Bench. Been saving a spot for you :)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Stay away from that bandwagon bench. Frk It gets to watch something more depressing than the Wings D this year. Watching his football team blow the division to the Detroit Lions will have to be a humbling experience. I struggle just typing that because of the years of watching them, but the Vikings are going to come back and the Lions are going to sweep them giving them the tie-breaker. I will be stunned if the Lions don't win the division... Of course they are the Lions so they might find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I wouldn't count on it Frk It, the Lions should finish 10-6 at worst, likely 11-5...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Stay away from that bandwagon bench. Frk It gets to watch something more depressing than the Wings D this year. Watching his football team blow the division to the Detroit Lions will have to be a humbling experience. I struggle just typing that because of the years of watching them, but the Vikings are going to come back and the Lions are going to sweep them giving them the tie-breaker. I will be stunned if the Lions don't win the division... Of course they are the Lions so they might find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I wouldn't count on it Frk It, the Lions should finish 10-6 at worst, likely 11-5...

This guy...

stephen-a-smith-laugh.gif

Y’all should just focus on one of those wild card spots...

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Wait what's wrong with the Vikings? Does @Bench hate lakes so much that he has to root against anything Minnesota?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
The lions have a super easy schedule so yeah. The lions winning the division should be really easy but it’s the lions so.

Matt stafford is a better qb then whoever the Vikings have.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Hey now! The Pack actually won a game! Although they suffered more injuries...

Yeah OK, it's over, but I'll always celebrate a win over the Bears.

Wait what's wrong with the Vikings? Does @Bench hate lakes so much that he has to root against anything Minnesota?

I live in Minneapolis now. I can see the Viking stadium from my home. The belly of the purple giant. The Vikings fans here treat the Packers like they are mortal enemies. Although because the Twin Cities are so close to Wisconsin, you get tons of Pack fans here, too.

Honestly though it's all just good fun between Frk It and I. I don't really mind the Vikings. I was actually pulling for Bradford and/or Bridgewater to have a solid year. But I did hope the Packers would win the Super Bowl in their new stadium. :laugh:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I assume you are talking about their OC.

Talking about Peters. When he went down he got carted off the field. Rumor was it was the collarbone. Not looking like that now but I don’t expect him to play next week. Maybe we can win the bowl game depends how far away it is and who the opponent is cause speight may play then.

When we probably lose to Ohio State cause of okorn I hope that seals the ocs fate for harbaugh though. He needs to hire someone better

Even with all the talent on last years team and when harbaugh had them playing really well. Drevno had the offense middle of the pack

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I heard on The Ticket Peters was going through the concussion protocol...didn't hear any updates beyond that. I hope he's a) okay healthwise and b) back next week because he's pretty well the only hope UM has in that game.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Some people think that the Lions DC is a good candidate for a head coach position That would be a terrible hire in my opinion. Guy has been below average since 2015. Good defensive coordinators can get good results with no talent. And the lions have some on defense

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Some people think that the Lions DC is a good candidate for a head coach position That would be a terrible hire in my opinion. Guy has been below average since 2015. Good defensive coordinators can get good results with no talent. And the lions have some on defense
Once Ngata went down and no Ansah their defense has dropped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille