Michel Therrien - Is he fired yet? **MOD WARNING: FIRST POST, READ BEFORE POSTING**

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Handleh is personal life better? What was he supposed to do differently in this situation?

I won't speculate but I'll say this much. I've never ever been punched in the face till I bleed when I've done nothing wrong.

There's lots of speculation that the girl is "crazy" but people immediately brush off that he may have done something wrong too.

void

Jan 5, 2006
I won't speculate but I'll say this much. I've never ever been punched in the face till I bleed when I've done nothing wrong.

There's lots of speculation that the girl is "crazy" but people immediately brush off that he may have done something wrong too.

Exactly. That's why I said that Therrien's comment either hinted at something more or, if the incident happened exactly how the media said it happened, then Therrien is a moron for saying "he'll learn". I'm not sure why Jack Bourdain thinks I'm adding more fuel to the fire.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Exactly. That's why I said that Therrien's comment either hinted at something more or, if the incident happened exactly how the media said it happened, then Therrien is a moron for saying "he'll learn". I'm not sure why Jack Bourdain thinks I'm adding more fuel to the fire.

Actually no. Before MT said anything I thought "you don't get punched in the face for no reason"(usually).

MT saying what he said does not hint at any more unless I lived under a rock before he spoke.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Actually no. Before MT said anything I thought "you don't get punched in the face for no reason"(usually).

MT saying what he said does not hint at any more unless I lived under a rock before he spoke.

Well let's not go there.

If you reverse the situation where Player number twenty-seven is the instigator, you know very well that "***** had it coming" would not fly.

Anyway, MT could have just said something like: "There is nothing for me to comment on, so I'm not commenting on anything."

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Regardless of whether Galchenyuk is innocent or brought it on himself, as coach Therrien should either be defending his player or not commenting. By saying he'll learn he made the situation worse.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
oh damn thats fresh prince......Habs fans just dont understand

Oh we do ...

yLbfrQm.gif

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Blaming the victim in an assault case is something women have lobbied against for years.

Perhaps you could afford the same respect to a man when you don't know all the facts yet.

Truth is, we'll never know all the facts, so why are we still bothering with this. Let's move on, shall we.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
Blaming the victim in an assault case is something women have lobbied against for years.

Perhaps you could afford the same respect to a man when you don't know all the facts yet.

Blaming the victim is not the same thing as suggesting the victim should have done something differently in retrospect. There are conceivable scenarios where Alex could have done something fairly avoidable. Especially when you consider him as a representative of the Canadiens.

I don't at all think that management is throwing Alex under the bus. We have evidence that the team supports him, but Therrien is also correct in suggesting that while he isn't free of responsibility, it is something that can be easily worked upon as he ages.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005

I know, imagine of it were a female hockey player bloodied by her boyfriend and her coach's reaction was "she'll learn." MT is a moron through and through, an embarrassment to the team.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Well let's not go there.

If you reverse the situation where Player number twenty-seven is the instigator, you know very well that "***** had it coming" would not fly.

Anyway, MT could have just said something like: "There is nothing for me to comment on, so I'm not commenting on anything."

Which wouldn't make sense since MB had to protect Galchenyuk and DSP from media before that.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Which wouldn't make sense since MB had to protect Galchenyuk and DSP from media before that.

I wasn't aware that MB and MT were one and the same... Plus if the job was already done by MB, MT just had to ****... "I'm just the coach, don't ask me about non-hockey related question, NOT that I can answer hockey related questions under normal circonstance, but you get my point bros ~secret Antichambre handshake~"

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

When has Therrien every said something that makes sense?

He easily could've said what Gallagher and Pacioretty said, simply it's a personal matter and he's not going to comment on it.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
If MB moves Galchenyuk or Beaulieu strictly because of this foolishness I'm done with this team until MB and the current management team are gone. I still think MB handled the entire Kassian incident very poorly and that he made it more personal than he should have.

You think the owner had nothing to do with this?

Can I remind people that the owners of the time, through Ron Corey, had forced Savard to trade Chris Chelios for his off the ice antics.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
It's funny to read all the negative comments on the media's hyped up treatment of the news, when practically every poster here has been doing the same over the last 24 hours. Makes for entertaining reading, I tell you.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Bergevin said many times "I'm staying path". He inherited of a good core when he became GM, how can you blame him for that. Petry is the only impact player he added, Bergevin already had a good core and many of them became impact player (Gallagher) or in some case became elite (Price, Subban, Pacio) So Bergevin already have lots of impact players on his team and it's still a young team, what he's doing right now is staying path, he will let his other draft picks develop (Galch, Beaulieu, Andrighetto, McCarron...)

Some of the moves he made so far are salary related, other moves are to exchange players that didn't work in their respective team anymore (Diaz/Weise or Sekac/DSP), other moves was to add speed to the team (to fit with the team game plan) and improve our bottom 6 with Mitchell, Flynn, Byron, which is a good improvement.

For the last 3 seasons, he acquired some rentals to help his team make a good playoff run, the 2 biggest one were Vanek and Petry. In that regard, he's doing like every other teams that are in good position in the standings, he added rental players at the deadline.

Staying the path?? It's a path he set for a 28th place team. You change and evolve.
Bergevin said he had a lot of work to do to rebuild this team, that it was going to take time because he was going to do it through drafting and developing.
That makes sense when you are a bottom 10 team.
You get to draft good young players, you stock up on picks to draft more youngsters or package assets to move up the draft. You can even move veterans like Plekanec, Gionta, Markov, because you don't mind missing the POs seeing how you want to rebuild through drafting and youngsters.

When you finish atop the conference though, it's time to realize your initial evaluation of the team was probably wrong. You're not in a rebuilding mode. You need to surround that core with the right pieces.

Obviously you always have to draft well but we shouldn't be scared to move a Mac or a 1st round pick. We shouldn't be scared to commit to players on July 1st instead of always trying for low risk high rewards guys, which we've pretty much failed 100% of the time at.

Scherbak isn't a sure bet to even make it to the NHL. There's nobody who's even projected to be a top 6 player. Maybe McCarron, but even him, he's not sure to make it as a top 6. So how's this building through the draft and development been going?? We're 4 years into it and there's very little to show for.
Maybe ''sticking to the path'' isn't the best strategy seeing how it's produced very little results and the team is much better than originally evaluated.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Staying the path?? It's a path he set for a 28th place team. You change and evolve.
Bergevin said he had a lot of work to do to rebuild this team, that it was going to take time because he was going to do it through drafting and developing.
You get to draft good young players, you stock up on picks to draft more youngsters or package assets to move up the draft. You can even move veterans like Plekanec, Gionta, Markov, because you don't mind missing the POs seeing how you want to rebuild through drafting and youngsters.

When you finish atop the conference though, it's time to realize your initial evaluation of the team was probably wrong. You're not in a rebuilding mode. You need to surround that core with the right pieces.

Obviously you always have to draft well but we shouldn't be scared to move a Mac or a 1st round pick. We shouldn't be scared to commit to players on July 1st instead of always trying for low risk high rewards guys, which we've pretty much failed 100% of the time at.

Scherbak isn't a sure bet to even make it to the NHL. There's nobody who's even projected to be a top 6 player. Maybe McCarron, but even him, he's not sure to make it as a top 6. So how's this building through the draft and development been going?? We're 4 years into it and there's very little to show for.
Maybe ''sticking to the path'' isn't the best strategy seeing how it's produced very little results and the team is much better than originally evaluated.

...what we are seeing is that Bergevin is apparently as stubborn as Therrien and refuses to adjust on his original evaluation of the Habs situation...he tried once (Vanek), it didn't work out as well as planned, so he's not doing it again...of course Price being out is the excuse, but it really isn't much of an excuse if you think about it...this extended period without Price was the best time to evaluate just what kind of team we really have now that we can't just rely on Price saving our bacon all the time...and we see exactly what we need to see...unfortunately, Therrien refuses to adjust his "system" and Bergevin apparently refuses to see that we need help scoring...

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Pretty cool how there are so many similarities to the centennial season. All that's left is to sneak into playoffs, get swept in first round, trade everyone.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Bergevin said that in his first PC. And that's exactly when I became worried about his hiring, although his subsequent love for photo ops and trying to smooch the french media too much didn't help. What he did was to lower expectations, which in a broad view was somewhat understandable, finishing 28th an'all. Problem is, historically, 28th place teams don't have that many points. People tend to forget that. Missing Markov for the whole season was key to that 28th place. The next season wasn't that much of a surprise to me. Adding Markov alone was a booster. From the previous year's training camp, most were expecting Gallagher to make the team and have an impact, and then Chucky, 3rd overall pick, seemed NHL ready in his first camp. All the ingredients were there for an easy reversal of fortune. MB inherited a team that already had an elite sniper, a futur elite defenseman, an elite goaltender, a respectable two-way center, and an an ex-elite dman who by all accounts was ready to pick up where he left off. Add a 3rd overall pick offensively gifted forward and another rookie, a bulldog that almost everyone knew would be at least 2nd line material. Give that to a Jim Nill and I wonder if he would've tried to lower expectations like MB did. From that first day, I had the impression that MB wasn't just a rookie GM, but that he also had the lack of confidence to do the job also. Nevermind the photo op smiles and grins that 'looked' confident. It seemed like he was trying too hard to look the part, but his very words betrayed that imo.

Oh and while we're at it, that 28th place team was also missing it's MVP as I've said before, shouldn't Bergy become accountable for all of this if we finish bottom 5 because we're missing our MVP this time again?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Bergevin said that in his first PC. And that's exactly when I became worried about his hiring, although his subsequent love for photo ops and trying to smooch the french media too much didn't help. What he did was to lower expectations, which in a broad view was somewhat understandable, finishing 28th an'all. Problem is, historically, 28th place teams don't have that many points. People tend to forget that. Missing Markov for the whole season was key to that 28th place. The next season wasn't that much of a surprise to me. Adding Markov alone was a booster. From the previous year's training camp, most were expecting Gallagher to make the team and have an impact, and then Chucky, 3rd overall pick, seemed NHL ready in his first camp. All the ingredients were there for an easy reversal of fortune. MB inherited a team that already had an elite sniper, a futur elite defenseman, an elite goaltender, a respectable two-way center, and an an ex-elite dman who by all accounts was ready to pick up where he left off. Add a 3rd overall pick offensively gifted forward and another rookie, a bulldog that almost everyone knew would be at least 2nd line material. Give that to a Jim Nill and I wonder if he would've tried to lower expectations like MB did. From that first day, I had the impression that MB wasn't just a rookie GM, but that he also had the lack of confidence to do the job also. Nevermind the photo op smiles and grins that 'looked' confident. It seemed like he was trying too hard to look the part, but his very words betrayed that imo.

Oh and while we're at it, that 28th place team was also missing it's MVP as I've said before, shouldn't Bergy become accountable for all of this if we finish bottom 5 because we're missing our MVP this time again?

I don't mind that he lowered the expectations. I honestly don't think he knew the team all that well. He was coming from Chicago, which is a team we didn't play a whole lot and in another conference.
So I don't mind. But after the first year, you see the team play much better than expected. I can even live with him keeping these low expectations after this season because it was a shortened one. But after his 2nd season, going to the conference finals. You know you have some talent and rebuilding through the draft is like not going to be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad