Michel Therrien - Is he fired yet? **MOD WARNING: FIRST POST, READ BEFORE POSTING**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
Well Therrien did say that we're a PO bubble team. That they always look at it this way. So what the hell is Bergevin doing?..

He's not adding prospects or draft picks to really stock up the farm. He's not improving his draft positions. He hasn't fixed the top 6. Petry is the only impact player on this team that was brought in by Bergevin in 4 years, all the others were part of the previous management group.
So what the hell is this GM doing exactly? What's his vision?..

Bergevin said many times "I'm staying path". He inherited of a good core when he became GM, how can you blame him for that. Petry is the only impact player he added, Bergevin already had a good core and many of them became impact player (Gallagher) or in some case became elite (Price, Subban, Pacio) So Bergevin already have lots of impact players on his team and it's still a young team, what he's doing right now is staying path, he will let his other draft picks develop (Galch, Beaulieu, Andrighetto, McCarron...)

Some of the moves he made so far are salary related, other moves are to exchange players that didn't work in their respective team anymore (Diaz/Weise or Sekac/DSP), other moves was to add speed to the team (to fit with the team game plan) and improve our bottom 6 with Mitchell, Flynn, Byron, which is a good improvement.

For the last 3 seasons, he acquired some rentals to help his team make a good playoff run, the 2 biggest one were Vanek and Petry. In that regard, he's doing like every other teams that are in good position in the standings, he added rental players at the deadline.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
I didn't think it was possible for me to dislike Therrien more than I already do...then I read his comments about Galchenyuk...Bergevin is also starting to lose my respect.

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
More then the comments from Therrien and Bergevin, I hate you guys. I hate all the fans that actually make a big deal of how much of a big deal the media is making of how much of a big deal the organization is making of how much of a big deal the incident was for the players involved.

You guys are all ****ing microscopes that when you add all the lenses, it makes the heat unbearable for the players.

Jesus, Chucky is an adult, he'll deal with what his GM and his coach (read: employers) really think about the situation. Whatever they tell the media, he gives 2 ****s about. Get over it, you guys are making such a ****ing big deal about it then it really is.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
unreal to have a coach comment on a player's personal life like that

I disagree, I think Therrien handled it quite well. Whatever the extent the onus on Galchenyuk was in the situation, it's obvious that the organization would rather it have never happened and it's understandable that they would attribute some blame to Alex himself.

The alternatives would be to ignore it altogether, or to throw him under the bus. The full comments by Therrien are encouraging as it suggests he is willing to work with Alex further.

void

Jan 5, 2006

"They are young and they will learn. They're still human. All kids make mistakes."

What mistake did he do?!?

Either there's more to the story than we thought or Therrien is moron.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
More then the comments from Therrien and Bergevin, I hate you guys. I hate all the fans that actually make a big deal of how much of a big deal the media is making of how much of a big deal the organization is making of how much of a big deal the incident was for the players involved.

You guys are all ****ing microscopes that when you add all the lenses, it makes the heat unbearable for the players.

Jesus, Chucky is an adult, he'll deal with what his GM and his coach (read: employers) really think about the situation. Whatever they tell the media, he gives 2 ****s about. Get over it, you guys are making such a ****ing big deal about it then it really is.

No kidding, not to mention it's clear they're trying to protect him. "No comment" sounds a lot worse than just saying "**** happens when you're young".

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
The DD vs Galch is pretty tired. Those railing on either need to know they don't get a big say in who they play with or how much ice time .... that's on MT.

Pretend for a second that you're Galchenyuk. 3rd overall pick, offensive skills, playing on a team that desperately needs offence, not just this year, but every year. But inexplicably you almost never get a chance, for small spurts yes, but never sustained even though by most measuring sticks you do a decent job.

Other teams don't seem to have a problem putting their young centres in harms way and letting them learn, why does MT feel it necessary to do it here. His development is further off because MT had to "shelter him". I'd agree, maybe, if we had anyone above him on the depth chart able to play in the #1 or #2 slot. Eller was supposed to get there, but was never given a real shot... do we really want this playing out with Galchenyuk too. With Pleks as #3 we're a cup contender with him as #1 we're a marginal playoff team.

That's the issue, are we better today because Galchenyuk was sheltered ... absolutely not. It's his 4th year, had he been allowed to grow in the role, and not look over his shoulder we'd be looking at a true # right now. He's done EVERYTHING the team asked and shown maturity ahead of his years.... his reward ... don't **** up or you'll be a winger.

There is no reasonable debate to be had in DD vs Galch.

DD was a stop gap measure, that has been used out of his depth ... he's #3 at best and produces more when given limited ice time against weaker lines. To the gentleman who used +/- to compare them ... you do understand much of DD's plus is from when his line got sheltered minutes and was destroying the weaker matchup.

Galch is one of the few players I see moving North/South with any real sense of purpose. He never really got a shot to work with Semin. Imagine where he'd be if MB had the ballz to pull the trigger and get Jagr ... I'm willing to bet MT Vetoed it because of his perceived slowness and defensive shortcomings. Barkov is extremely comparable to Galch ... who's got the brighter future now.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I disagree, I think Therrien handled it quite well. Whatever the extent the onus on Galchenyuk was in the situation, it's obvious that the organization would rather it have never happened and it's understandable that they would attribute some blame to Alex himself.

The alternatives would be to ignore it altogether, or to throw him under the bus. The full comments by Therrien are encouraging as it suggests he is willing to work with Alex further.

Not to mention going full secrecy makes it sound like there's more to the story. Addressing it head on and saying it's no big deal is a lot better than the alternative.

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
Either there's more to the story than we thought or Therrien is moron.

Or there is nothing more to the story, and Therrien knew exactly what he was doing.

You see this is the type of comment that bothers me. You are unsatisfied with Therrien's public (PR!) statement, which in my opinion is very neutral but anyone is free to think otherwise, so you call him a moron.

But then you allow yourself to speculate "there's more to the story than we thought", which ultimately puts even more fuel to the "scandal" surrounding Galchenyuk's personal life, then anything Therrien said himself.

So who is the guilty one here?

Last edited:

Moen is Gone

@MoeninGlory
Feb 13, 2007
Grenoble
twitter.com
unreal to have a coach comment on a player's personal life like that

fxjBZ9r.gif

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Galchenyuk gets like 63% offensive zone starts...yeah that's very sheltered minutes.

What does coaching have to do with the fact that Carr and Andrighetto are not ready to be regular top 6 contributors? They played the last 4-5 games on the 2nd line.

Take any team in the NHL with a superstar Hart candidate player and take that guy out for 3/4 of a season, it will greatly affect that team. Especially when it's your goalie and you have rookies(or an AHLer) behind him.
Give him 100 percent offensive zone faceoffs if you want to... but we haven't given him proper linemates. It's been a guy out of position and a bunch of NHL auditioning players who never stay the same. The best has been Carr but they're not giving Carr much in the way of minutes either.

Give him defensive zone faceoffs with Max and Gallagher and he'll actually be better off.

Not to mention going full secrecy makes it sound like there's more to the story. Addressing it head on and saying it's no big deal is a lot better than the alternative.
No it's not. You say no comment and move on.

MT just threw his player under the bus and it shouldn't have happened.
Or there is nothing more to the story, and Therrien knew exactly what he was doing.

You see this is the type of comment that bothers me. You are unsatisfied with Therrien's public (PR!) statement, which in my opinion is very neutral but anyone is free to think otherwise, so you call him a moron.

But then you allow yourself to speculate "there's more to the story than we thought", which ultimately puts even more fuel to the "scandal" surrounding Galchenyuk's personal life, then anything Therrien said himself. Not to mention that he puts the onus on Galchenyuk here... saying he has much to learn is kind of making him responsible for the whole mess.

This kind of crap should be dealt with behind closed doors not in front of microphones.

The problem with MT's statement is that it feeds into the idea that there's more to the story than we thought. That's why you should say... no comment. Put the flames out don't put grease on them.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri

agree to disagree - i think it makes it a bigger story to have more people comment on it

the teams saying nothing would have been appropriate imho

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Give him 100 percent offensive zone faceoffs if you want to... but we haven't given him proper linemates. It's been a guy out of position and a bunch of NHL auditioning players who never stay the same. The best has been Carr but they're not giving Carr much in the way of minutes either.

Give him defensive zone faceoffs with Max and Gallagher and he'll actually be better off.

He's ridiculously sheltered for our 3rd most used center.

I agree he can use better wingers though.

No it's not. You say no comment and move on.

MT just threw his player under the bus and it shouldn't have happened.

Oh yes, the best way to calm the media is by saying "no comment" which makes it look worse.

People are way too sensitive. There's zero throwing under the bus here. Saying "He'll learn" is really not a big deal unless you're forcing it or hate MT.

void

Jan 5, 2006

But then you allow yourself to speculate "there's more to the story than we thought", which ultimately puts even more fuel to the "scandal" surrounding Galchenyuk's personal life, then anything Therrien said himself.

Oh, please. No one is putting any "fuel" on anything. This is a message board, it's not real life. People come here to speculate, ******** about hockey, vent, etc.

IMO, Therrien saying "he'll learn" means Galchenyuk did something wrong. So, either we don't know the full story OR Therrien misspoke.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Oh, please. No one is putting any "fuel" on anything. This is a message board, it's not real life. People come here to speculate, ******** about hockey, vent, etc.

IMO, Therrien saying "he'll learn" means that he did something wrong. So, either we don't know the full story OR Therrien misspoke.

He'll learn how to handle his personal life better.

There's a fine line between things going in the news and not for celebrities.

void

Jan 5, 2006
He'll learn how to handle his personal life better.

There's a fine line between things going in the news and not for celebrities.

Handleh is personal life better? What was he supposed to do differently in this situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad