Michel Therrien - Is he fired yet? **MOD WARNING: FIRST POST, READ BEFORE POSTING**

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Therrien must love that the Galchenyuk **** gives him a lot of free passes:

Can continue to say he's 'not ready' or 'mature'.
Has an excuse to continue to play DD over him.
Can even scratch/bench him if he wants.
Also, it's a distraction from the fact he's a horrible coach, losing and should've been fired last year.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
"He'll learn". Really? No words.
Michel Therrien is a meme generating machine. I guess it's more work for the mods when this new meme replaces the previous one he had churned out.:facepalm:

I was wondering about that very thing...
We get upbraided for repeating some of the same negatives over and over and yet how are we to help it given this coaches inability to change anything about his demeanor behind the bench or in front of a camera. MT just Fix the PP FFS.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
he sounds too happy. probably was told that he will stay on even if the ship sinks.

He did surprisingly sound in a great mood for someone who is supposedly on the hot seat.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Overall we're in agreement but I'm weary of "best forward" given the conditions he plays in.

Still, to keep this conversation to the point Galchenyuk has earned a bigger responsibility. Will it be 17-18-19 minutes a game? Doubtful.

What's very important to note however is that using a fairly unbiased number like say the last 10 games Galchenyuk has been playing more:

Last 10 average 15:58 TOI/GP
The first 32 games average: 14:39 TOI/GP

They should continue playing him ~16 minutes.
He's been our best forward for sure. Is he our best forward? He's not Max yet but he's certainly been better than Max has.

As for him being "sheltered" he hasn't been as sheltered as you think. Again, a converted center to his left and a recurring group of guys auditioning for the NHL on the right. We've totally misused him after saying we'd do everything we could to help him succeed.
Lineup? Price is our lineup. Other than Subban, Gallagher and Pacioretty there is no line up in my opinion. The rest are basically grinders and fillins. We dont have a contending lineup like Chicago, washington, st. Louis, dallas, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Florida, LA. And the lineup includes coaches and General Managers.
Our blueline is great and our forwards have a hole on the wing. This is a good lineup that should be doing a hell of lot better than it is.
Many of us were ridiculed last year for claiming the Habs were a lottery team without Price. I said it many times last season, pointed out that they couldn't score, were always chasing the puck in their own zone, coach is unable to adjust, etc... And I got a lot of flack for it.
We were a lottery team the past two years running without Price. But that wasn't a lineup issue, it was a coaching one. Remember, this is the same guy who used Cube on the PP and had PK Subban doing a chip and chase...
We're not going to rehash Galchenyuk's incident however, the media is continuing to harp on it, for obvious reasons. Too many days off between games so they're looking for drama.

They're playing the Therrien scrum right now on 690. How about some hockey questions? Jeez, it's a real TMZ-fest. Leave that stuff for fan boards. :sarcasm:
Yeah, please don't. No Galcheyuk stuff here please, everyone's been warned on it.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
These media scrums rarely produce anything new. Habs' communications people control the message and even an equal opportunity mangler in both languages like Therrien can remember how to rehash talking points.

Well Therrien did say that we're a PO bubble team. That they always look at it this way. So what the hell is Bergevin doing?..

He's not adding prospects or draft picks to really stock up the farm. He's not improving his draft positions. He hasn't fixed the top 6. Petry is the only impact player on this team that was brought in by Bergevin in 4 years, all the others were part of the previous management group.
So what the hell is this GM doing exactly? What's his vision?..

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

"They are young and they will learn. They're still human. All kids make mistakes."

What mistake did he do?!?

Probably frequenting not very good influences with his status.

I just don't agree when he includes DSP in that, he did absolutely nothing besides sucking on the ice.

elsubz

Nov 3, 2007
Nice way to put oil on the fire Therrien. Very ironic comments coming from this idiot when I got one particular story from this summer that could have made the front pages with this clown.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Nice way to put oil on the fire Therrien. Very ironic comments coming from this idiot when I got one particular story from this summer that could have made the front pages with this clown.
WTF... seriously why would he say this? Did the team script these answers? Why would they comment on this at all?

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
TSN690 brought up a good point about MT bringing up the Beaulieu and Thomas "incident" when he met the media. What really was this "incident" involving Beaulieu and Thomas again? Both were out a little late dancing and celebrating Beaulieu's birthday. So what? Why is this such a big deal for 2 young guys be out celebrating on their day off.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Quote from TSN690:
"Has an ugly pattern developed in Montreal in the aftermath of the Galchenyuk situation? And did the Canadiens management need to talk to the media about this story yesterday?"

This is exactly what I was saying yesterday. Why did management need to address the media about this? Since when is a domestic dispute a concern of a person's workplace? Could you imagine if everybody got fired everytime they stayed up late partying or had to meet their boss everytime they cheated on their partners? We'd all be jobless. Galchenyuk and DSP didn't miss practice and if you're gonna party then four days off before a game is the best time to do it. Same with Beaulieu and Thomas.

Therrien is not Galchenyuk's father and he's not his mentor. He's his coach. The only thing he should be commenting on is his on ice performance and so far Alex is one of our best players despite 3rd line deployment. That's it. The only words out of Therrien's mouth should be "no comment" or "that's alex's business, that's for him to answer". When Therrien went through his domestic dispute with his ex-wife I don't think he'd appreciate it if the media were asking the players about it do you?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
He's been our best forward for sure. Is he our best forward? He's not Max yet but he's certainly been better than Max has.

. Again, a converted center to his left and a recurring group of guys auditioning for the NHL on the right. We've totally misused him after saying we'd do everything we could to help him succeed.

Our blueline is great and our forwards have a hole on the wing. This is a good lineup that should be doing a hell of lot better than it is.

We were a lottery team the past two years running without Price. But that wasn't a lineup issue, it was a coaching one. Remember, this is the same guy who used Cube on the PP and had PK Subban doing a chip and chase...

Yeah, please don't. No Galcheyuk stuff here please, everyone's been warned on it.

Galchenyuk gets like 63% offensive zone starts...yeah that's very sheltered minutes.

What does coaching have to do with the fact that Carr and Andrighetto are not ready to be regular top 6 contributors? They played the last 4-5 games on the 2nd line.

Take any team in the NHL with a superstar Hart candidate player and take that guy out for 3/4 of a season, it will greatly affect that team. Especially when it's your goalie and you have rookies(or an AHLer) behind him.

TSN690 brought up a good point about MT bringing up the Beaulieu and Thomas "incident" when he met the media. What really was this "incident" involving Beaulieu and Thomas again? Both were out a little late dancing and celebrating Beaulieu's birthday. So what? Why is this such a big deal for 2 young guys be out celebrating on their day off.

I'm sure the team's issue with that is they made a video about it that hit social media.

The Habs are a brand that's worth around a billion dollars, they don't want it to be known for a bunch of young players and party videos because it affects corporate sponsors and marketing. That's 95% of it.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

I think that new management's philosophy is that players are not allowed to have a life. I guess the moral of the story is it's ok to party as long as you don't get caught.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I think that new management's philosophy is that players are not allowed to have a life. I guess the moral of the story is it's ok to party as long as you don't get caught.

Their philosophy is that you can have a life as long as it's not smearing the Habs image.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I'm sure the team's issue with that is they made a video about it that hit social media.

They didn't make a video of it. The girls they were with did. In a day and age of selfies and social media the only way to not get your picture taken is to live in a basement. Unless you want to hire bodyguards to follow players around that will go into girls purses and delete any pictures they take from their phones lol.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Quote from TSN690:
"Has an ugly pattern developed in Montreal in the aftermath of the Galchenyuk situation? And did the Canadiens management need to talk to the media about this story yesterday?"

This is exactly what I was saying yesterday. Why did management need to address the media about this? Since when is a domestic dispute a concern of a person's workplace? Could you imagine if everybody got fired everytime they stayed up late partying or had to meet their boss everytime they cheated on their partners? We'd all be jobless. Galchenyuk and DSP didn't miss practice and if you're gonna party then four days off before a game is the best time to do it. Same with Beaulieu and Thomas.

Therrien is not Galchenyuk's father and he's not his mentor. He's his coach. The only thing he should be commenting on is his on ice performance and so far Alex is one of our best players despite 3rd line deployment. That's it. The only words out of Therrien's mouth should be "no comment" or "that's alex's business, that's for him to answer". When Therrien went through his domestic dispute with his ex-wife I don't think he'd appreciate it if the media were asking the players about it do you?

Well said. Other than out partying late on their day off what did Beaulieu, Thomas, Galchenyuk and DSP really do? I'm also not buying MT saying Thomas being traded was just a coincidence either.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
They didn't make a video of it. The girls they were with did. In a day and age of selfies and social media the only way to not get your picture taken is to live in a basement. Unless you want to hire bodyguards to follow players around that will go into girls purses and delete any pictures they take from their phones lol.

Or be Ryan O'Byrne

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Or hire Ryan O'Byrne

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

From what I recall of that video they were playing to the camera and acting like clowns, not about getting a picture taken.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

If MB moves Galchenyuk or Beaulieu strictly because of this foolishness I'm done with this team until MB and the current management team are gone. I still think MB handled the entire Kassian incident very poorly and that he made it more personal than he should have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad