Michel Therrien - Is he fired yet? **MOD WARNING: FIRST POST, READ BEFORE POSTING**

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Continue.

Ok Guys, let's set things straight here:

1. This is a hockey forum. The idea is to share hockey opinions that have substance to them. Enough with the personal attacks, veiled or otherwise.

2. The excessive spamming of meaningless one liners and memes that do not advance a discussion will be deleted. Repeat abusers will be thread-banned. Again, the idea is to force you to provide substantive arguments that engage debate about the coach.

3. Relating to the last point: cut it out with the "apologist/hater" labeling. Also, cut the crap with the "better person" and "respek" memes. Ditto for the "soff" youtube video. It's borderline spam at this point.

Make real hockey arguments, if you can't, you won't last very long in the debate.

Enough is enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Who gives a **** what Desharnais thinks? No one. As for Pacioretty, that was 6 years ago and he's said dumb **** before. Remember when he said that he'd rather be in the minors than playing on the 3rd line. That was a good move for him, but dumb to say out loud and selfish.

It's in the past. Boucher is the real deal. Guy did a great job in Hamilton. An admirable job in Tampa, then went to Europe to re-invent himself and look what he did at the Spengler Cup on short notice with a bunch of scrubs. He's so clearly a step up on Therrien it hurts to think about.

And if he doesn't turn out to be the best for the Montreal Canadiens, so be it. At least he got rid of the clown for us.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Who gives a **** what Desharnais thinks? No one. As for Pacioretty, that was 6 years ago and he's said dumb **** before. Remember when he said that he'd rather be in the minors than playing on the 3rd line. That was a good move for him, but dumb to say out loud and selfish.

It's in the past. Boucher is the real deal. Guy did a great job in Hamilton. An admirable job in Tampa, then went to Europe to re-invent himself and look what he did at the Spengler Cup on short notice with a bunch of scrubs. He's so clearly a step up on Therrien it hurts to think about.

And if he doesn't turn out to be the best for the Montreal Canadiens, so be it. At least he got rid of the clown for us.

When i watched the Berg presser ,he said point blank Therrien ain't going no where.....and i believe him .

We miss the playoffs,it will be blamed on Price being absent....and Therrien will be back to start next year....

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
Therrien is the guy we need to bring the cup back in Montreal, not only he has what it takes but he's the perfect fit for Montreal.

He has 20+ years in coaching experience, he reached the finals at every level he coached. In every team he was hired, the team progressed during his tenure because Therrien knows how to build a team, fans don't care about this stuff "building a team" it's something that is never discussed.

In every team he went, all his key players took another step and the young players all progressed.

And the reason why he's the prefect fit not only for his competence as a coach but because he's been in Montreal before, he knows how it works, he knows the market, he knows the media, he's in total control here.

kassian

Sep 27, 2010
Montreal

No way he's worse than Therrien. I mean, think of how much of an incompetent **** you have to be to deploy DD so much, be unable to generate any powerplay in years, fail to come up with the simplest and most effective lines and give Markov 28 mins a night. Therrien's a mad man who wouldn't have the job if he wasn't sitting next to Bergy on l'Antichambre years ago. Can't wait for this era to end. How many more eras, before we get a management that pursues a cup and not a politically-correct status quo that's stuck in limbo?!

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
When i watched the Berg presser ,he said point blank Therrien ain't going no where.....and i believe him .

We miss the playoffs,it will be blamed on Price being absent....and Therrien will be back to start next year....

Then Bergevin should be fired too.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Therrien is the guy we need to bring the cup back in Montreal, not only he has what it takes but he's the perfect fit for Montreal.

He has 20+ years in coaching experience, he reached the finals at every level he coached. In every team he was hired, the team progressed during his tenure because Therrien knows how to build a team, fans don't care about this stuff "building a team" it's something that is never discussed.

In every team he went, all his key players took another step and the young players all progressed.

And the reason why he's the prefect fit not only for his competence as a coach but because he's been in Montreal before, he knows how it works, he knows the market, he knows the media, he's in total control here.

I'm not sure if you are serious or not....

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

You've actually watched his pewee strategy, right? It's like he's playing chess against Kasparov.

Perpetually dominated.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
I don't see how this is true at all. This very issue is brought up constantly when discussing the failure of the Gauthier-Martin management. It's even often admitted as a success of Therrien by his detractors. Whether or not he can build a championship team is in question.
This simply is not the case. Has Eller progressed under Therrien? Weber? LeBlanc? Obviously it's silly to harp at every failed prospect, but even then, the goal isn't mere progression but enough progression to get the most out of a player's potential.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
I think we're more likely to see Bergevin move out some players rather than moving out the coach.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
We've reached the point we did in the Saku leaving off-season where it's abundantly clear we're not winning with this management/coaching.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Therrien has jobloss insurance. Fans are overly extrapolating from every loss. So long as Price isn't with the team, Bergevin will continue to back up his coach.

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
"It's a tough league. It's hard to make the playoffs every year. Look, even the Bruins and the Kings missed the playoffs last year. We didn't have Carey for a big part of the year. We were very healthy in the past and this year we weren't, that's how it goes sometimes. It's a fine line, there's so much parity.. We're a team in transition, we have young players taking new roles. I have full confidence in Michel and our objective is the make the playoffs next year"

-Marc Bergevin, in April 2016, addressing the Montreal Canadiens missing the playoffs.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
"It's a tough league. It's hard to make the playoffs every year. Look, even the Bruins and the Kings missed the playoffs last year. We didn't have Carey for a big part of the year. We were very healthy in the past and this year we weren't, that's how it goes sometimes. It's a fine line, there's so much parity.. We're a team in transition, we have young players taking new roles. I have full confidence in Michel and our objective is the make the playoffs next year"

-Marc Bergevin, in April 2016, addressing the Montreal Canadiens missing the playoffs.

Said in his new role as analyste on l'Antichambre :naughty:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I think we're more likely to see Bergevin move out some players rather than moving out the coach.

He is going to make the brain dead trade for Drouin to save MT and himself and then ladies and gentlemen we enter the Houle era V2. I checked out during the dark era of Houle and I will do the same again.

To the people that defend Therrien and his ability to get the most out of his players and his ability to understand the game, I ask you these questions. How can we have one of the smallest non physical teams in the whole league and have a coach that constantly deploys a grinding style? How can we pick up guys from the waiver wire(depth) and have them play on the first line? How come he constantly defers to a 5 foot 3 midget who has marginal talent by the way and somehow believes that he is our number 1 center? How come he cannot devise a pp that is above a minor hockey league level? How come he constantly makes excuses and never takes ownership for anything that is going on right now? Why does he have PK Subban sitting back and not allowing him to have the liberty say of a Karlsson in Ottawa? Why is he playing a 37 year old defenseman 25-30 minutes a night? Why does he sit certain players for mistakes but routinely give a free pass to others that are not competing?(Pacioretty/Plekanec/Desharnais)

Last edited:

Rickkins

Jul 22, 2007
Therrien's only qualification, is that he can parlez vous. Until that is no longer the primary requirement, we are screwed.

This team, from the top down, is beyond salvage.

Bergevin must go.

Davebo*

With our youth - why is he a perfect fit? What teams has he developed and led to championships in the past?

Total control? Of what? The on ice product? Are you serious??? He's a ****ing unended (apparently) GD trainwreck of a coach.

Then Bergevin should be fired too.

I'm starting to lean that way myself the last few days. If he can't see the problems, then maybe he's the source of them.

Rickkins

Jul 22, 2007
I'm starting to lean that way myself the last few days. If he can't see the problems, then maybe he's the source of them.

Well of course Bergevin is the source of the problems, how could it be otherwise. With him stubbornly refusing to rid this team of a toxic coach who has obviously lost the room, this team and indeed the brand itself are doomed.

(all comments are imho, of course)

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

If you think Desharnais is lying - you're wrong.

Boucher most definitely is coaching to get an NHL an job (was). He most definitely probably used a more complete system to get that done. He still coaches that way.

But there's nothing wrong with coaching that way if it gets your team W's and the system works. That's why I didn't have a huge problem with Therrien being here until he, at multiple times over the past year, hasn't been able to adjust when his system isn't working.

That's something I've seen Boucher do MID-GAME. Therrien won't do it ever, while Boucher has no issue throwing his system aside and using a new style to win the game.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Yeah, something like this. We do not even have to listen to it...but we will 'cause it will be a lot of fun...especially here. :D

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Fire him now or wait until he goes 0-3 next three games

He will not be fired because MB will use the Price excuse to save Therrien. I never wanted him in the beginning and even though this was his only chance back to the NHL, his time away from the game has taught him nothing, he is still the same inept coach he always was.

If by remote chance we do fire him we all assume it will be Guy Boucher that replaces him, MB however may have someone else in mind. I would like to see Boucher get a shot and see what he can do with this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad