Recalled/Assigned: Michael Leighton Recalled / Crow day to day with an upper

Venthon

Nov 11, 2014
Shhhh, he has Toews in front of him. Any goalie would be good with Toews in front of them, even though Toews is extremely overrated and is carried by Keith. But that Keith guy is only good because he gets bailed out by his goaltender. Hawks are overrated.

And that goaltender gets bailed out by Kane saving his ass with a timely goal that he could only score because he has Toews to take the hard matchups, but that only works because they have Hjalmarsson on the ice too, but he doesn't score much, so he isn't any good either!

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
No updates on Crawford yet. If you can, wait until the morning skate tomorrow

Argh! I wish. It's a weekly roster set. There's a back to back this weekend so I know both should probably play, but I want Crow! Haha

Playoffs too. Can't start both cuz my other goalie is Lundqvist.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
I'm leaning with Darling cuz they may look at schedule and see Crawford can have an additional 3 days off before the Flames game, but it's the Stars! Hmm...

What would Kevin Spacey do?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Even if Crawford is good to go don't be shocked if Datling gets the nod because Crow has been shelled by Dallas this year (at least I think he has).

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Even if Crawford is good to go don't be shocked if Datling gets the nod because Crow has been shelled by Dallas this year (at least I think he has).
In all fairness to Dr. Craw, it's not like he had a good team in front of him on the multiple occasions when he got shellacked by the Stars. It's kinda hard to win when the team in front of you plays below ECHL-level.

That and on Feb. 6 he helped us shellack the Stars when the team in front of him decided to play at not just an NHL-level, but a division-leading NHL level :)

But I do agree that Darling will probably get the nod.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
In all fairness to Dr. Craw, it's not like he had a good team in front of him on the multiple occasions when he got shellacked by the Stars. It's kinda hard to win when the team in front of you plays below ECHL-level.

That and on Feb. 6 he helped us shellack the Stars when the team in front of him decided to play at not just an NHL-level, but a division-leading NHL level :)

But I do agree that Darling will probably get the nod.

Oh I agree. Not blaming Crow at all.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Still maintaining I'd rather have Leighton in net right now over Darling, btw.
And Darling has been fine aside from this game with Crow out.
Watching him just brings me more confidence

Sir Loin

Apr 19, 2014
Chicago

I don't know who I prefer yet, but sure, let's see what he can do. Give him Calgary.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW

I don't know who I prefer yet, but sure, let's see what he can do. Give him Calgary.
With the way the Team D has been playing, I'd back whomever's slated to be the backup.

Whomever starts is going to get shelled because our team D will be in the process of waking up for the game already in progress, and then once the backup comes in they'll start to up their play to a level of "probably not even adequate".

:sarcasm:

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Lets look at the big picture here. Darling needs all the work he can get (just in case he's needed).
Not disagreeing with you; I just think Darling/Crawford/Leighton, whomever starts, needs to play as if there's no quality D in front of them, because there isn't and hasn't been in a long while.

If the D gives themselves a rectal craniectomy and decides to hockey--even without a goalie pull first, all the better. For now I think the G's mindset has to be that they can't expect the team D to do their job--prepare for the worst and all that.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Sorry but your judgement is clouded. I understand the sentiment in pulling Darling at 4 - 0, but I also happen to think it was a mistake by Q bringing in an AHL goalie when the regular back-up, Darling, needed the work and wasn't at fault for any of the goals that got by him.

I'm finally getting around to watching the second half of the game against Stars and the second period has just concluded. I didn't realize the other night that the 5th goal came at a rather crucial time in the game. .... with little time left in the second period after Shaw had given Hawks some hope of a comeback. The weakest goal of the night was that 5th goal for that reason alone... on a shot that a larger goalie could very well have stopped, thus keeping that hope alive. Maybe you do have more confidence with our third string goalie in there but it once again reveals your bias.

PVR is now back on to watch the third period.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It's all making sense now. As I watch the 3rd period, Foley and Eddie are repeatedly talking about fatigue on the Hawks and obviously some folks here are picking up on that as gospel. I say that's BS.
One of the good things that Q has done to help prevent exactly that has been the reduction in practice time. Some people are so naive and act like these two commentary clowns know what they speak of. If Hawks are indeed fatigued then so are all the other contenders and it's character that will prove to be the difference at crunch time. Enter Jonathon Toews, Brent Seabrook, Andrew Ladd and Shaw, Hossa, Keith, Weise, Hammer, Desjardins .... and on down.

WTF is Q doing ... pulling the goalie with 6 minutes to go in the game. I guess he thinks by pulling the goalie earlier and earlier that he is some kind of pioneer in coaching circles, when in fact it's just stupidity. He needs to sit down with Scotty and have a heart-to-heart. ****!

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
This is the way I look at it.

If we have to play a backup in the playoffs who is more likely to steal games? The answer is easy and it is Darling. He has been inconsistent this year but he has the clear talent of stealing NHL games. I respect Leighton and his AHL resume but he is not close to as talented as Darling. Honestly if he was a better goalie he would be the backup on the Hawks.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It's all making sense now. As I watch the 3rd period, Foley and Eddie are repeatedly talking about fatigue on the Hawks and obviously some folks here are picking up on that as gospel. I say that's BS.
One of the good things that Q has done to help prevent exactly that has been the reduction in practice time. Some people are so naive and act like these two commentary clowns know what they speak of. If Hawks are indeed fatigued then so are all the other contenders and it's character that will prove to be the difference at crunch time. Enter Jonathon Toews, Brent Seabrook, Andrew Ladd and Shaw, Hossa, Keith, Weise, Hammer, Desjardins .... and on down.

WTF is Q doing ... pulling the goalie with 6 minutes to go in the game. I guess he thinks by pulling the goalie earlier and earlier that he is some kind of pioneer in coaching circles, when in fact it's just stupidity. He needs to sit down with Scotty and have a heart-to-heart. ****!
I actually didn't watch any of the game past the 5th goal, and didn't hear Pat and Eddy talking about that. As for the other contenders being fatigued...have they played even close to the amount of games as the Hawks have over the last 3+ years? No. Almost every team in the league has had an exit in the 1st 2 rounds over the last 2 years, let alone the last 3 years.

As for pulling the goalie with 6mins left...why not? What exactly does it hurt? Keep grasping at straws.

One last thing, if Crawford let in those 4 goals, you would blame him with out a doubt for at least 2 of them. Don't even bother telling me you wouldn't, because Crow has let in much tougher stops before and you have railed on him about them.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
This is the way I look at it.

If we have to play a backup in the playoffs who is more likely to steal games? The answer is easy and it is Darling. He has been inconsistent this year but he has the clear talent of stealing NHL games. I respect Leighton and his AHL resume but he is not close to as talented as Darling. Honestly if he was a better goalie he would be the backup on the Hawks.
I agree, but if we have to play a backup this year, we definitely aren't winning jack ****.

cbh

Aug 24, 2014
Debatable at this stage as to who the better goalie is, Darling or Leighton. I wouldn't mind seeing Leighton get the next start. Either way, team needs to start playing hockey...and we need Crow back in net.

As for pulling the goalie with 6mins left...why not? What exactly does it hurt? Keep grasping at straws.

One last thing, if Crawford let in those 4 goals, you would blame him with out a doubt for at least 2 of them. Don't even bother telling me you wouldn't, because Crow has let in much tougher stops before and you have railed on him about them.

Sure...,but you're addressing the same poster who, not all that long ago, posted: "Pump up Crawford all you want but he is an average goalie on a great team."

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I actually didn't watch any of the game past the 5th goal, and didn't hear Pat and Eddy talking about that. As for the other contenders being fatigued...have they played even close to the amount of games as the Hawks have over the last 3+ years? No. Almost every team in the league has had an exit in the 1st 2 rounds over the last 2 years, let alone the last 3 years.

Give me a break. You would defend Q if he played the entire 3rd period without a goalie. By pulling a goaltender so early it is like throwing in the towel as far as I'm concerned. We have seen this Hawk team score in bunches. The stupidity of your posts never ceases to amaze. Click. I won't be responding again.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Give me a break. You would defend Q if he played the entire 3rd period without a goalie. By pulling a goaltender so early it is like throwing in the towel as far as I'm concerned. We have seen this Hawk team score in bunches. The stupidity of your posts never ceases to amaze. Click. I won't be responding again.
They were down 5-1 with 6mins left, there was no coming back at that point. I could say the same about your posts..I am not defending Q here, I just fail to see what there is to lose with 6mins left down by 4.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
They were down 5-1 with 6mins left, there was no coming back at that point. I could say the same about your posts..I am not defending Q here, I just fail to see what there is to lose with 6mins left down by 4.

You obviously didn't watch the game. Hawks were within 3 goals and coming on strong when Q inexpiicably pulled Leighton. There was plenty of time to make it interesting without such drastic action .... and we have all seen how Hawks score in bunches. That (much needed) momentum was quickly squelched by coach Knucklehead.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
Phew! I started Darling and made it to the finals. Okay gang: my Finals cover the next 2 weeks of games. Should I start Crawford or Darling?

Any word on Crow?

Help!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad