Online Series: Michael Keaton is joining the cast Batgirl movie...may never be released

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
The ones posted the previous page that indicate Batgirl as consistently a top-30 best selling comic book series since 2011.
Those figures are about the 2011-2016 series specifically. That said, top 30 is not horrible, but it's not exactly great, especially considering the amount of hype and marketing the Batgirl of Burnside soft reboot got when it released. If Batgirl was doing so well, she'd still have a solo comic right now. In fact, as per your source, I don't think she's had one since 2020.

Again, I'm not saying there isn't money to be made with a Batgirl movie.

If you spend 100 mil on a direct-to-streaming property, you better be damned sure it's going to be something that drives subscriptions and engagement on that platform. Marvel might have the equity to introduce something like Moon Knight on D+ and have people show up, but that's because people are following Marvel, not the character specifically.

I don't think this version of Batgirl was going to do what it wanted them to do. Rumor is they looked at releasing it theatrically but decided the marketing budget would render it unprofitable in that space as well.

So they killed it.

Last edited:

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Is someone forcing to you watch them?
Obviously not but they've pretty much ruined Hollywood. The quality of films coming from there has dropped significantly since the major studios started putting so much money towards them. Hollywood for the most part these days is just superhero movies, other franchises, sequels, remakes and a handful of Oscar bait films.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Obviously not but they've pretty much ruined Hollywood. The quality of films coming from there has dropped significantly since the major studios started putting so much money towards them. Hollywood for the most part these days is just superhero movies, other franchises, sequels, remakes and a handful of Oscar bait films.

Hollywood has felt this way for the longest time with remakes, franchises, sequels, even before the MCU took off. Sure there are more superhero movies now but it's not like those 3 things weren't issues before 2008.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Hollywood has felt this way for the longest time with remakes, franchises, sequels, even before the MCU took off. Sure there are more superhero movies now but it's not like those 3 things weren't issues before 2008.
Yeah that's true. I think I'm just getting a little more annoyed by it over time.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I would think the large amounts of money the superhero movies make for the studios is actually beneficial for other types of movies getting made by those same studios. I think there are still plenty of good non superhero movies being made, they just might not get the same exposure because of how massive superhero movies are.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I would think the large amounts of money the superhero movies make for the studios is actually beneficial for other types of movies getting made by those same studios. I think there are still plenty of good non superhero movies being made, they just might not get the same exposure because of how massive superhero movies are.

An old show called WKRP had an episode that had a great line "A profit is only a profit if the loses add up right".. By doing this they are able to apply everything from Pre to Post production against a reported 3 billion loss. It sounds like they are also writing off series and a few other movies. Say if the movie came out and made say 500 million--that would actual hurt their bottom line. I believe they will wait till the next fiscal year and sell it to another platform

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
There is a ton of objective evidence that shows this is not the case. Moreover there is a ton of reporting that shows Disney strong arming theaters to not show movies which may demographically compete with Marvel movies.

And additionally... exposure matters, both advertisements and time in theaters/screens. With Disney demanding so many of the screens at multiplexes, the available real estate for other films becomes increasingly sparse.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It doesn't seem like good business to re-invest profits from something popular into something not so popular. It's smarter to re-invest them into more of the popular thing. I think that it goes without saying that that's happening here because superhero content continues to grow. Maybe there's a little profit left over to spare on non-superhero movies, but imagine if no superhero movies were being made. The non-superhero movies would still be made and possibly made better (because the companies' bottom line would depend on it) and likely would be more popular and profitable. I wouldn't say that they're benefiting from the current landscape compared to how they would if they had it to themselves.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The directors just gave an interview in French saying that when they heard it had been cancelled the logged onto the editing server to find everything connected to the film had been deleted. Not sure if the translation is corrected, but the directors say they were toll all aspects of the film have been deleted permanently and all digital copies have been destroyed

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The directors just gave an interview in French saying that when they heard it had been cancelled the logged onto the editing server to find everything connected to the film had been deleted. Not sure if the translation is corrected, but the directors say they were toll all aspects of the film have been deleted permanently and all digital copies have been destroyed
ouch

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

It sounds more like they were blocked out from being able to access it instead of it all just being deleted but not 100% sure either.

Reactions: barriers

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It sounds more like they were blocked out from being able to access it instead of it all just being deleted but not 100% sure either.

If I can find a proper translation of the interview, I will post it. It sounds like the directors offered to finish editing for the Warners. They were told that due to how the tax laws our written Warners had to delete the movie entirely. The Directors said it was explained to them to get the full tax break the movie had to me destroyed.

not the best translation--but will give you guys an idea of what is going on with warners

After the studio released Justice League, when original director, Zach Snyder, had parted with it, a campaign led by fans convinced the studio to eventually let Snyder complete his vision and released it through HBO Max. Since Batgirl was jettisoned as a tax write-off, the film will not be released in any fashion

Reactions: Satans Hockey

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It doesn't seem like good business to re-invest profits from something popular into something not so popular. It's smarter to re-invest them into more of the popular thing. I think that it goes without saying that that's happening here because superhero content continues to grow. Maybe there's a little profit left over to spare on non-superhero movies, but imagine if no superhero movies were being made. The non-superhero movies would still be made and possibly made better (because the companies' bottom line would depend on it) and likely would be more popular and profitable. I wouldn't say that they're benefiting from the current landscape compared to how they would if they had it to themselves.
Theatres are turning into an experience event due to HD TV, 4K, tv size and convenience. You’d go to the theatre to enjoy the ambience of the other patrons, or the big sound, or something.

A rom com is probably a streaming or watch it on demand type movie nowadays. Other movies where the experience of the theatre isn’t needed to enjoy the movie have to either have a lower budget or get streamed instead.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Theatres are turning into an experience event due to HD TV, 4K, tv size and convenience. You’d go to the theatre to enjoy the ambience of the other patrons, or the big sound, or something.

A rom com is probably a streaming or watch it on demand type movie nowadays. Other movies where the experience of the theatre isn’t needed to enjoy the movie have to either have a lower budget or get streamed instead.
Nothing beats going to a movie theater for me. Unless you've got a mini-theater setup in your basement or something no home setup has come close to making watching a movie as fun as it is in theaters. It's bigger, louder, and draws your attention in much better

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Like I said--I was waiting for a better translation. As I said. I was waiting for a better translation. But, there are reports from other places that it has been deleted due to tax laws. Someone needs to talk to a good tax laywer. The way one explained it was that if they try to release it in any way shape or form--they lose the tax break they just received.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Nothing beats going to a movie theater for me. Unless you've got a mini-theater setup in your basement or something no home setup has come close to making watching a movie as fun as it is in theaters. It's bigger, louder, and draws your attention in much better
Depends on the type of film is my point. Top gun I went to the theatres. Most of the Marvel films I’ve also gone. Saw Bourne and Bond films too.

But outside of an action flick I don’t know that I’m going to the theatre to watch other types of movies.

So from a business POV you have to determine whether that movie is capable of drawing people into the theatre or not. If it doesn’t then can it be made with a low enough budget for a streaming platform. That’s kind of what Batgirl got caught in. Not good enough to make money on theatres and cost too much for streaming to make back the cost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad