Online Series: Michael Keaton is joining the cast Batgirl movie...may never be released

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I guess they are going the way of the comic book universe where the answer is "You can never have too many simultaneous Batmen."

Keaton wasn't exactly the best Bruce Wayne but I liked his Batman.

He might be better suited now that he's older and more grizzled.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Wow this must have tested horrendously for them to do this

It was in post-production and test screening

Rarely do you see a studio completely shelf a movie especially one with this budget

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Should have just quietly dumped it on HBO Max with no fanfare. Now they’ve turned its perceived awfulness into legend and people will talk about it more. It’s going to be the new The Day the Clown Cried where we hear stories of people who have seen it weighing in.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It'll be brilliant marketing wherever it inevitably surfaces. But it's gotta be all-time bad for this to happen.
“The movie so bad WB didnt want you to see it” might not be the subscription driver you think it will be

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
It's David Zaslav (new Discovery overlord) sending a message loud and clear that the era of bloat and sacred cows at WB is over. That, and he is taking the writeoff this year.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Dang it!
f2.jpg

Can they at least release the Keaton footage that 99% of the audience was going to watch this trash for anyway?

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
Insane that a $90 million movie is getting canned like that. I guess they figured it wouldn't even make back the marketing budget.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Wow, this is fascinating. Word through the grapevine is that Keaton was in this movie substantially (moreso than Flash).

What on Earth made it so bad that they weren't even willing to release it on a dark corner of HBO Max?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Wow, this is fascinating. Word through the grapevine is that Keaton was in this movie substantially (moreso than Flash).

What on Earth made it so bad that they weren't even willing to release it on a dark corner of HBO Max?
There probably isn't a ton of value of releasing it on max. It isn't going to drive subscriptions in a meaningful way. Probably a legit concern that even a tepid marketing campaign would be throwing good money after bad with an additional risk to the DC brand which has taken more than its share of lumps.

Also wonder if Keatons contract has him clearing some dough on the backend or something that could even further hurt the financial calculus.

Interesting decision. Wouldn't have watched it either way but I am intrigued by the decision.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
There probably isn't a ton of value of releasing it on max. It isn't going to drive subscriptions in a meaningful way. Probably a legit concern that even a tepid marketing campaign would be throwing good money after bad with an additional risk to the DC brand which has taken more than its share of lumps.

Also wonder if Keatons contract has him clearing some dough on the backend or something that could even further hurt the financial calculus.

Interesting decision. Wouldn't have watched it either way but I am intrigued by the decision.
I don't think I've ever heard of a major completed film being cancelled. This is nuts

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Interesting choice, I mean $90M while not small is not huge when it comes to supposed blockbuster style movies, especially comic books ones.

It's no the only one that was cancelled for HBO Max in post. Scoob! sequel was also in post production and was cancelled by executives Scoob! Sequel Director Revealed Film Was "Very Close" to Completion Before HBO Max Cancellation

While not uncommon it does happen for movies that are done filing to be cancelled for a variety of reasons. Like 2017's Gore was in post when Netflix cancelled it due to the Kevin Spacey revelations.

An early 2000s remake of Revenge of the Nerds was cancelled well into filming due to the university where it was being filmed revoking the permit to film on campus and execs supposed hated the dailies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
"Apparently" while the quality of the film was fine it in fact did not test well with audiences. I'm not going to use the cliche "woke" but that's the gist of it. A minority superhero decrying white privilege. Make of that what you may. Studios are free to continue to go down this path but they shouldn't be surprised if it backfires more often than not. Not sure what the balance is but this isn't it. It's a shame, because this should have a been a license to print money, especially with the return of Michael Keaton.

Reactions: Avs2022

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
If that's the case then this is even stupider lmao. There's always an audience for these things, it's not the people who uses the word woke unironically while butchering any meaning it has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad