Online Series: Michael Keaton is joining the cast Batgirl movie...may never be released

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
....well, I guess when a studio is confident enough to release a Batgirl film we can do a comparison.
Sure. Again it doesn’t look like it was lack of confidence, but it was because it was going to make zero money being an HBO Max release and Discovery looks like it wants to cut the service.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

I have never heard of a single one of those

If HBO is going to be running things now and wanting to do less content overall for HBO Max (And future merged Discovery/Max service) then they should work out rights to past TV shows/movies/miniseries like Tales from the Crypt, The Hitchhiker, The Corner and others to fill libraries

Surely it would be more cost affordable to workout whatever issues those titles have (Rights, etc) then new scripted program

It's a damn joke that Tales from the Crypt the bedrock of HBO thru early 90's along with other things (A bunch of HBO made for TV movies, documentaries, etc) have long been missing from syndication and now streaming services

Also, if they don't want HBO Max or an HBO streaming service then selling rights to all WB films/shows to stream elsewhere should certainly be considered as it would provide $ to Discovery going forward

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Will be interesting to see how they handle it

If they cut the access to people who get Max because they are HBO cable subscribers, they are going to have many people refuse to sign up for yet another costly service and will continue to see cord cutting #'s increase and thus HBO decline

And when they raise price on this new service it will be interesting to say how the Discovery+ audience reacts to it. Surely there will likely be people who will balk at price increase for content they view as unneeded

Also why is Discovery so intent on forcing CNN crap on people? No one cares for CNN content and damn sure the demand for CNN streaming content was not there when the fiasco that was CNN streaming service launched and was debacle

Again, the HBO Max + Discovery+ demographics are not compatible and merger IMO has big risk of pushing away a lot of people who currently watch them

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Will be interesting to see how they handle it

If they cut the access to people who get Max because they are HBO cable subscribers, they are going to have many people refuse to sign up for yet another costly service and will continue to see cord cutting #'s increase and thus HBO decline

And when they raise price on this new service it will be interesting to say how the Discovery+ audience reacts to it. Surely there will likely be people who will balk at price increase for content they view as unneeded

Also why is Discovery so intent on forcing CNN crap on people? No one cares for CNN content and damn sure the demand for CNN streaming content was not there when the fiasco that was CNN streaming service launched and was debacle

Again, the HBO Max + Discovery+ demographics are not compatible and merger IMO has big risk of pushing away a lot of people who currently watch them

HBO max wont be available here in Europe till 2023 or 2024--I was going to get HBO max--but looking at other stuff that has now been pulled--Discovery+ is reality show hell for me and you could not pay me to watch that crap

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

The "Quality vs Quantity" stuff makes me believe that HBO Max content people really enjoy (Older series/movies/etc) is going to be gutted

Fascinating how "Quantity" of content is bad thing for HBO Max but the countless "Quantity" of crap for Discovery+ is good

Personally, I would take some amazing high-quality stuff + Expansive library over some amazing high-quality stuff + shit library

One of the things that has turned people away from Netflix is the fact they have lost so much content thru recent years in streaming wars as titles were taken back (Look at Star Treks to CBS or Office to Peacock)

Gutting and limiting selection of films/shows going forward and once merger occurs is going to just turn people away from service that are movie/TV fans

To me a vast library including older content > Limited library

5 years from now I won't be shocked to see this merger viewed as disaster

Last edited:

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Maybe this is the start of some much needed quality control for DC movies. Too many of them were panned by both critics and fans while hurting the overall brand. I still remember absolute trash like the Green Lantern movie with Ryan Reynolds and the Catwoman movie with Halle Berry.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Yeah, any property can be turned into a moneymaker, if you have a good product on its own merits (in other words, a good movie) and competent marketing.
I think there are things that are harder to market than others... But if you target the correct niche and spend appropriately based on that niche, then you can be successful with most things if the product is good.

It seems that, according to WB/Disc's new brass, 100 million dollar movies with a niche character going straight to HBO Max are not profitable.

Based on the earnings call, I'm getting a feeling they're gonna be going with the big guns

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Based on the sales figures, I would hardly call Batgirl “niche”.

What is the standard for what makes a comic book character “popular”, exactly?

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Sounds like the 53 billion dollar debt could be a big reason they didn't wanna invest anymore money into this movie since they also mention a 10 year plan to try to get a DC universe back on track akin to Marvel. Almost all of the CW DC comics shows have been canceled or are ending soon as well.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
The ones posted the previous page that indicate Batgirl as consistently a top-30 best selling comic book series since 2011.
Comics have been selling poorly for a long time so are the popular series in that medium really "popular"?

At least they can make decent comic book movies while anime and manga have constantly been getting more popular but they can't make a decent movie to save their lives. Exception being the Battle Angel Alita/Gunnm movie.

Sounds like the 53 billion dollar debt could be a big reason they didn't wanna invest anymore money into this movie since they also mention a 10 year plan to try to get a DC universe back on track akin to Marvel. Almost all of the CW DC comics shows have been canceled or are ending soon as well.
The HBO Max shows like Doom Patrol and Titans are still running. Maybe they just want to move on from the CW style.

Last edited:

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
The HBO Max shows like Doom Patrol and Titans are still running. Maybe they just want to move on from the CW style.

I know they were both renewed for another season but not sure if they started filming already. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they both get canceled cause of this merger. I really hope not though cause I enjoy both.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Sure. Again it doesn’t look like it was lack of confidence, but it was because it was going to make zero money being an HBO Max release and Discovery looks like it wants to cut the service.

HBO Max is not just the name of the service, it is also an entity within WBD that is separate from HBO, WBTV, WB Pictures, etc,. I believe a lot of the people came out of TNT/TBS/True (the "T-nets"). They had already killed development at the T Nets and now are killing development at HBO Max, which makes their productions through third parties. HBO and Disc already have programming and additionally WBTV is a dedicated production entity. All of them have development teams as well, so it appears to be a matter of redundancy.

Zaslav has bandied about a target of $3B so it seems there will be a lot of these "efficiencies" to come. It would also seem that eating the Batgirl project would be a step toward that insomuch as it increases the expense side starting point against which his savings will be measured against, and saves them the risk of having to pump another $90m in finishing expenses and marketing into the project.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Gotta say this news makes me happy. Hopefully, this happens to every superhero movie going forward.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
We don't need reports to know how bad this is.

The Room exists

Battlefield Earth exists

Melissa McCarthy lead ghost busters exists

Hollywood makes shit every day.

They are making several pices of shit right that we don't even know about yet.

But this was the line THIS was the line they would not cross.

It must be shockingly awful
IMO there's good shitty movies and bad shitty movies. Battlefield Earth and The Room are both f***ing HILARIOUS and well worth watching in the proper context, especially the latter. My 2nd favorite movie of all-time, Commando, is f***ing stupid as hell but it's also way cooler than pretty much every other movie of all time, fight me otherwise.

The MMC "Ghostbusters" and Batman & Robin, on the other hand, are both the WRONG way to make a shitty movie.

To those in the business, a film's quality probably doesn't matter much, it's just how marketable it is. If they were unable and/or unwilling to bring a superhero film to market, a genre that has produced some very profitable films, to me that says a lot.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Is someone forcing to you watch them?
This is deliberately missing the point. Superhero movies have come to dominate theaters to the point where it's hard for anything else to get made with anything approaching a large budget. Add on to that the near monopoly power of Disney with theaters right now - it's a bad time to be someone who just likes movies but doesn't want entry 34 of the 130 part narrative the MCU is crafting.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
WB managed to generate a decent amount of buzz about Batgirl being awful. Could probably segue that into viewers that want to see just how much of a train wreck it is. I had no idea there even was a batgirl movie until I heard it was shelved and I'm probably not alone.

Reactions: Vaheh

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
IMO there's good shitty movies and bad shitty movies. Battlefield Earth and The Room are both f***ing HILARIOUS and well worth watching in the proper context, especially the latter. My 2nd favorite movie of all-time, Commando, is f***ing stupid as hell but it's also way cooler than pretty much every other movie of all time, fight me otherwise.

The MMC "Ghostbusters" and Batman & Robin, on the other hand, are both the WRONG way to make a shitty movie.

To those in the business, a film's quality probably doesn't matter much, it's just how marketable it is. If they were unable and/or unwilling to bring a superhero film to market, a genre that has produced some very profitable films, to me that says a lot.

It's in the batman universe, anything in the batman universe is marketable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad